Shimano Tiagra 4600 or 105 5700

ayjaycee
ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
edited September 2018 in Road buying advice
Some time ago, I missed the transition from 105 9 to 105 10 speed completely as I went from 105 5600 (9 speed) to a Tiagra 4600 (10 speed) bike (and actually thought shifting on the latter was better). However, I am now in a position where I have to replace the RD on the aforementioned Tiagra groupset and wondered whether it was worthwhile getting a 5700 replacement instead (I might also decide to get a new 105 5700 FD as well). The price difference is negligible and, as I understand it, there are no compatibility issues with my current Tiagra 4600 STIs (again, as I understand it, 4700 is not backwards compatible). Any weight savings are not a factor just as good or better performance!

Any thoughts or advice please.
Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
Kinesis Racelight 4S
Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)

Comments

• ayjaycee wrote:
    Some time ago, I missed the transition from 105 9 to 105 10 speed completely as I went from 105 5600 (9 speed) to a Tiagra 4600 (10 speed) bike (and actually thought shifting on the latter was better). However, I am now in a position where I have to replace the RD on the aforementioned Tiagra groupset and wondered whether it was worthwhile getting a 5700 replacement instead (I might also decide to get a new 105 5700 FD as well). The price difference is negligible and, as I understand it, there are no compatibility issues with my current Tiagra 4600 STIs (again, as I understand it, 4700 is not backwards compatible). Any weight savings are not a factor just as good or better performance!

The rear mech is just a ‘dumb’ slave unit, it’s only doing what the shifter tells it to. The main advantages to higher end mechs, is their lighter weight. I personally go for the one that’s cheapest. As long as the spring can cope with the cassette sprocket choices, that’s fine by me.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Cheers for that - the thing is that the 5700 FD is the same price as the 4600 version and there is only £1 separating the RDs!
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    ayjaycee wrote:
    Cheers for that - the thing is that the 5700 FD is the same price as the 4600 version and there is only £1 separating the RDs!

In that case I would buy the 5700 derailleurs, as you say, there are no compatibility issues.