Dangerous cycling survey

jds_1981
jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
edited September 2018 in Commuting chat
Don't think we've done this yet? https://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/cyclesafety/
Will affect cyclists so may be worth spreading the word. Fill out as you see fit...
FCN 9 || FCN 5

Comments

• CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    In the last comments box I asked if under these proposed new laws will a cyclist who kills a pedestrian get off with a small fine and slap on the wrists, like when a drivers kills a cyclist?
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • jds_1981
    CitizenLee wrote:
    In the last comments box I asked if under these proposed new laws will a cyclist who kills a pedestrian get off with a small fine and slap on the wrists, like when a drivers kills a cyclist?
    I can't help but think that they will want to make since examples when it is pushed through, and let's be honest, this survey is a bad idea (are the general public the best people to use a yes/no survey on) and the results will be ignored whatever they are.
    What annoyed me is the general page https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... en-cycling documents talk about cyclist safety, which would appear to have no relation to specially creating new laws for cyclists.

Will the second part of this process the general pedestrian cyclist safety be kicked in to the long grass?
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Totally laughable survey designed to get the "required" answer from the majority of respondents.
  • Yeah, that's a completely biased survey, isn't it.

In all honesty, I don't have a problem with the idea of the laws, in a just world, but the idea of the anti-cycling powers that be (people who don't cycle to complain, get it raised to chief of police level, who then empower Neighbourhood policing teams to have a crackdown) etc on what they perceive to be dangerous or careless cycling in public places scares the hell out of me.

The world isn't just. Esme Weir's, and thousands of other case proves that, and this will further tip the balance.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    So they successfully prosecuted Alliston and he's in jail. But we need laws to prosecute cyclists ?

Er...
  • jds_1981
    Yeah, that's a completely biased survey, isn't it.

In all honesty, I don't have a problem with the idea of the laws, in a just world
    Indeed, is very hard to argue against having a specific set of rules and punishments against one group of people, but not for another similar group of people.
    Could one make the rules much more generic so would include reckless behaviour by anyone outside (skaters, pedestrians, etc?)
    A cynical concern I have is that cyclists will be held to a higher standard as an 'out' group. Heck, cyclists on forums in general seem especially self flagellant.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • jds_1981
    what they perceive to be dangerous or careless cycling in public places scares the hell out of me.
    Yes, "dangerous" cycling would be a chargeable offence in itself. :roll:
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • quite a shocking survey.

Do you think murderers should be punished or given a million pounds?
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,145
    Fenix wrote:
    So they successfully prosecuted Alliston and he's in jail. But we need laws to prosecute cyclists ?

Er...
    I know. The main problem seems to be that the offence had an archaic name and people don't like that, even though it seems to have done the job. Just change the name and stop wasting everyone's time.
  • Fenix wrote:

Er...
    I know. The main problem seems to be that the offence had an archaic name and people don't like that, even though it seems to have done the job. Just change the name and stop wasting everyone's time.

Yeah. the issue is actually that driving offences have specific "downgrades" from manslaughter because juries failed to convict of manslaughter, as they could empathise with making similar mistakes while driving - after all, who's not seen the cyclist and pulled out in front of them because they weren't looking properly?

The age of the law of furious driving has bugger all to do with the law itself - ABH, GBH , and other crimes against the person were defiend in the same act - "Offences Against the Person Act 1861" which are still used today, and deemed suitable.

When was the last time someone got thrown in jail for 18 months or more for driving into, and killing someone, that didn't have other contributing factors?
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • jds_1981
    See this interview.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Lakerlikes/s ... 0614938624

Appears to all stem from the police telling Mr Briggs that their may have been some degree of criminality but they weren't sure how to prosecute the cyclist (badly paraphrased from memory.)
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • jds_1981 wrote:
    See this interview.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Lakerlikes/s ... 0614938624

Appears to all stem from the police telling Mr Briggs that their may have been some degree of criminality but they weren't sure how to prosecute the cyclist (badly paraphrased from memory.)

Aye, am aware of the history. The problem isn't that the law wasn't there, it's that the police didn't know a law existed that covered It - and cover it it did, as shown by the fact he was deemed guilty.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    When was the last time someone got thrown in jail for 18 months or more for driving into, and killing someone, that didn't have other contributing factors?

I had to do a double take when I read about these two this week
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-45507683 hits a pedestrian, failed to stop, failed to report the crash, claimed it was a deer, 12 weeks suspended sentence

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-45548326 falls out of a car whilst reversing, kills a jogger, community service.

as I saw quoted on a similar debate earlier this week "cyclists are at fault for 4 in circa 12500 deaths in the last 7 years, government figures, that's 0.032%, 1 in every 3000 road deaths..."