Potentially first full sus bike

tomtom99
tomtom99 Posts: 20
edited September 2018 in MTB buying advice
Just been looking at the Voodoo Minustor and was wondering if any one has this bike and had had good/bad experiences with it or any of the parts. I’m looking to upgrade from a trashy hard tail that I’ve had for years (was my brothers before me) and would just like any ‘knowledge’ if anyone has used it before.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    What is your budget and what sort of terrain will you be riding?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    edited September 2018
    As above, what do you want it to do. Why do you want a FS?

At that price point, a decent HT might be good enough. I know very little about the Minustor, but any entry level FS can be a bit `average` at best.

Other well thought of FS bikes (more around the £1000+ price point) are Calibre Bossnut/Beastnut, Vitus and Boardman.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • I would strongly recommend to increase the budget to say £1000-£1200 as you will get a much better bike than that entry level Voodoo. Look at Boardman FS or Calibre or Vitus or Norco all have good value bikes, Voodoo are also decent but you will need spend more on the Canzo or Zobop models.
  • JBA wrote:
    What is your budget and what sort of terrain will you be riding?
    The MAX I can spend is 1000 but I wanna make some upgrades (like tubeless) and I ride at Sherwood pines and do the red route/dh there.
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    For £1k, the Calibre Bossnut Evo can't really be beaten. There are potentially some more options if you can add another £4-£500 to that, but for £1k it's the Bossnut.
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Unless you are confident buying second hand the bossnut is likely the best you will find. The challenge you have is although £1000 is a lot of money it only a buys a new entry level FS bike.
  • The Bossnut is a really good option and gets amazing reviews, however consider this also:

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/ ... ntain-bike

This one is only £900 and you can get 10% off with British Cycling discount which I think is £20-£25? so £835 total? leaves you some spare change for tyres/tubeless/dropper upgrades..

The spec seems reasonable too, nothing amazing however functional if you are willing to accept that there will be some compromises.... it's 2x9 running Acera so no clutch mech... it will still ride the same just clutter a bit over the rougher stuff... and you have slightly less range on the rear however an extra ring on the front so overall should have more flexibility than 1x11. Just means an extra shifter on the left to play with.
    The fork should be good enough and much better than the XCM on the Voodoo. Other bits are from Suntour a Tetkro which should all be functional but nothing special. Its not the perfect bike but could be made much better with few simple upgrades. If money £1000 is absolute top if the budget, this plus BX dropper from CRC will be within your budget, otherwise Bossnut now + dropper later when you have more money...
  • I would like to thank anyone has had posted here (and may post here in the future) your replies have been acknowledged and I will reconsider based on your suggestions.