Zwift, Rouvy, Sufferfest, TrainerRoad

StillGoing
StillGoing Posts: 5,211
All of the above have been tried using an Elite Direto with ERG mode and even with a separate cadence sensor instead of the Direto inbuilt one that works via algorithms. I've so far found that only TrainerRoad is reliable and worthy of a continuing subscription.

Zwift with Windows 10 and ANT+, I suffered dropouts and spurious cadence rpm. With BTE over an iPad, similar results. Add to that the difficulty of hitting and maintaining power set in workouts and I find it first on the list for cancellation.

Rouvy via BTE on an iPad seemed to work ok with ERG mode doing a quick sample workout, but via Windows and ANT+ following a created route, 1% gradients felt like 10% for some reason. My daughter who is 4, has a Cyclops dumb trainer adapted for her 20" wheel and likes riding along to Zwift, hence why Rouvy is being tried. More testing.

Sufferfest. I like Sufferfest (when it works) for its on screen videos and music accompaniment, but via ANT+ and Windows it suffers with drop outs from ERG mode leaving me pedalling like frantic or changing gear to achieve targeted power. It doesn't seem to like BTE over the iPad either.

TrainerRoad with Windows and ANT+ suffered with weird power and cadence drop, but works perfectly with BTE and the iPad. Definitely a keeper.

So, I can't work out what the issue is, although it looks like the common denominator is the Direto. :x
I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.

Comments

• dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Sounds like a setup issue or equipment issue rather than the software.
    I've been using Zwift for over a year and never had a connection drop.

How far away is the ANT+ stick?
    A lot of wireless networks run on the same frequency as ANT+ (2.4ghz) so it could be interference causing issues.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Seems more like a setup problem rather than software? I don’t have issues with any of them other than the similar gradient problem with Rouvy.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I run my Ant+ stick on a short extension cable dropped down to nearly floor level - that way it's got line of sight to my turbo and my HR without any signal attenuating bodies in the way (me!) works fine....
  • StillGoing
    ANT+ is on a long extension directly under the Direto so not a signal issue. My set up is in the garage away from other gadgets other than the cars. Nothing else is connected and the Direto is switched off after each use and all apps closed down. I suspect its the Direto and issues around FEC and ANT+.
  • slowbike
    Shorten the extension - it doesn't need to be directly underneath the turbo - down by your front wheel will do.
    (it is a hunch - I'm in IT though - so it's an educated hunch!)

[edit] when I say shorten the extension - I mean use a shorter extension lead - don't cut that one! ;) [/edit]
  • StillGoing
    When I say directly under the turbo I don't mean actually under it. It sits between my winter bike on the Direto and my daughter's on her dumb turbo. Both don't operate at the same time I hasten to add competing for the signal. The drop outs tend to be mostly around cadence but occasionally power.

TrainerRoad were really good and went through some testing of their own to try and replicate the problem having seen the issue from my logged session. They couldn't replicate it. With ANT+ with Windows using my P2M and a speed sensor on the rollers, there were no drop outs. Only the Direto had the issue when using ANT+. Using BTE and the iPad, no such problem which makes us think its the ANT+ signal of the Direto.

A test of Sufferfest now I've switched to using the Wahoo cadence sensor over the Direto algorithm one seems to work fine as does Rouvy last night during testing using the iPad and BTE. Zwift I'm not really fussed about testing again with not being a fan of it.
  • slowbike
    It could be the Direto signal - the reason I suggested a shorter USB cable is that USB devices don't always like a long cable - so best to use the shortest one possible.

First thing I do with signal dropouts is to move one or other of the devices - then ensure line of sight between the offending devices. Even on my work PC with a cordless mouse - sometimes I just have to move the receiver 10mm in one direction for it to pickup again... too much clutter on my desk!
    it sounds like you've got the Ant+ stick on one side of the turbo - try changing it to the other side... it probably won't work any better - but at least you've tried.
  • StillGoing
    Successful completion of Angels in ERG mode using Sufferfest with an iPad over BTE and the Wahoo cadence sensor instead of the Direto. More and more I think its the Diretos cadence sensor that causes the problems whether its over BTE or ANT+.
  • Never had drop out on TR...used to drop out frequently on zwift with identical set up
    Triban 3
  • StillGoing
    Seems to be a few Direto owners suffering with dropouts with various programs. Elite's standard response is its the software program that is at fault and when pointed out to them that it happens across various platforms, it's then do a calibration check. :roll: I'm happy that the problem is solved for me simply by not using the Direto cadence measuring.