Canyon sizing

navrig2
navrig2 Posts: 1,844
edited September 2018 in Road general
I am just back from a week long trip to the Calpe area of Spain. We hired bikes from Velosol, all Canyons.

I chose the frame size after reading the Canyon website and sent Velosol the BB- top of saddle and tip of saddle - centre of bar dimensions from my bike.

The bikes were great. Mine was very comfortable (altho' stiff as you might expect from a Canyon). I didn't have to adjust anything and had no aches and pains. The brakes and gears worked all week with no issues.

The only thing I noted was some toe/front wheel overlap. This was only a problem when clipping in on a steep slope and there was some wobbling.

Does this mean that the frame was too small?

For reference and recommendation https://www.velosolcycling.com/ (their cafe was also very good).

Comments

• Mine is the same but it's only a potential issue as you say when starting off.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Same here. Only notice it once every couple of months or so. Fit is perfect otherwise and I went up a size from the site recommendation as I was on the borderline
  • Was this on an Ultimate? It’s a short wheelbase race bike so, yep this is normal
  • Yes as above, only happens the odd time when setting off.
  • I'm struggling to find a link between bike fit and toe overlap.
  • Navrig2 wrote:
    I am just back from a week long trip to the Calpe area of Spain. We hired bikes from Velosol, all Canyons.

I chose the frame size after reading the Canyon website and sent Velosol the BB- top of saddle and tip of saddle - centre of bar dimensions from my bike.

The bikes were great. Mine was very comfortable (altho' stiff as you might expect from a Canyon). I didn't have to adjust anything and had no aches and pains. The brakes and gears worked all week with no issues.

The only thing I noted was some toe/front wheel overlap. This was only a problem when clipping in on a steep slope and there was some wobbling.

For reference and recommendation https://www.velosolcycling.com/ (their cafe was also very good).

Just out of interest what is Calpe like, we are off there next month, one of the wife's relations has some apartments there. Wasn't thinking of doing any cycling but I could be persuaded to take my lid and shoes.
  • navrig2
    Ivor Pye wrote:
    Navrig2 wrote:

Just out of interest what is Calpe like, we are off there next month, one of the wife's relations has some apartments there. Wasn't thinking of doing any cycling but I could be persuaded to take my lid and shoes.

The area generally is very nice and has a great selection of cycling routes.

Getting out of Calpe by bike was a bit of a challenge so we ended up hiring a couple of cars and driving out to the north of Calpe and cycling from there. The main roads are very busy.

2 of us cycled from Calpe on the last day and found a route which sort of worked but the route back was reasonably busy.

After some discussion we agreed that we would go back again but would sty some where like Jalon, to the north of Calpe.

Calpe itself is a fairly typical Spanish seaside resort but with added dosage of British pensioners.
  • navrig2
    I'm struggling to find a link between bike fit and toe overlap.

There must be some link between geometry, bike fit and overlap. I have 3 road bikes and have hired/cycled countless others. Only the Canyon had any toe overlap with the front wheel. It, obviously, relates to feet size (I am a 42/43) and distance between BB and front axle.

The bike was very comfortable with no aches and pains so the fit seemed ok.

The sizing was as per the Canyon website.

The setup matched my existing bikes.

So why the overlap?