Kona Sutra Ltd sizing/fitting

riddleofsteel
riddleofsteel Posts: 15
edited February 2019 in Road beginners
Hi there.

Any Kona Sutra Ltd 2018 or 2019 owners around? Thinking of getting this bike, have tested sizes 52 and 54, can’t decide which size would be better for me. The 52 felt a bit short, especially when hands on the drops, although the stem is only 60mm on so maybe switch 100mm or so stem instead?

54 felt better lenghtwise, however top tube touches my jewels when standing over the bike.

This would be my first roadbar bike, have only driven with bullhorn earlier.

I’m 178cm with 81cm inseam so the sizing is bit of a pickle, eh?

Thanks in advance for any advice you could give me!

Comments

• froze
    froze Posts: 203
    If you're going to be using the bike for heavy loaded touring the MASI 2019 Giramondo 700c has better chain ring gearing for hauling loads up grades, and it comes with superior racks both front and rear. However you can change the smallest chain ring on the Kona for not that much money if it's necessary. The Masi extra small size might fit you better, it has a bit more reach, but the problem is finding a store that carries it so you can try it.

While fit is an issue on the Kona you don't want the top tube to hit the jewels which will only be more pronounced when loaded for touring and thus more difficult to mount and dismount the bike. So I would go with the 52 and change the stem.
  • froze wrote:
    If you're going to be using the bike for heavy loaded touring the MASI 2019 Giramondo 700c has better chain ring gearing for hauling loads up grades, and it comes with superior racks both front and rear. However you can change the smallest chain ring on the Kona for not that much money if it's necessary. The Masi extra small size might fit you better, it has a bit more reach, but the problem is finding a store that carries it so you can try it.

While fit is an issue on the Kona you don't want the top tube to hit the jewels which will only be more pronounced when loaded for touring and thus more difficult to mount and dismount the bike. So I would go with the 52 and change the stem.

Cheers for your reply and apologies for really long overdued of mine:-D

My LBS will get both of those Sutra Ltd sizes back in stock sometime next week i think, so i’ll probably pop in there. Unfortunately it is really icy here in Helsinki right now so cannot test them properly on the road.
  • http://www.konaworld.com/sutra_ltd.cfm

There's very little between the two sizes in reach (1mm), but 30mm of stack, while standover is 795 vs 820mm.

At 178cm myself with ~83cm cycling inseam, I'd probably choose the 52cm frame if I was intending to regularly use it offroad for the extra standover. Maybe +10mm stem with same angle, if that felt comfy, or something longer and higher rise if you prefer the more upright position of the 54cm frame.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • ^ Yep, size 52 is probably the one i’m going for, thanks for your thoughts. Will get back on this after i’ve tried the bike again with the longer stem.
  • So, had the chance to ride the Sutra Ltd 52 over one weekend and with longer, 90mm stem; much better than the 60mm stock one. Ended up ordering it:-)

I’m looking to get a second pair of wheels for the summer to do some light touring. I’m considering the Hope 20Five’s with Pro4 hubs+32 spokes. In their webpage it says that they come with Shimano freehub body. Do they fit for Sutra Ltd, or am i missing something here?

Edit: the stock Sutra Ltd 2019 has Sram Rival 1 groupset and 100x12mm front and 142x12mm rear hubs.

Thanks in advance guys!
  • froze
    froze Posts: 203
    Congrats, the Sutra is a fine bike.

I still haven't decided which touring bike I'm going to get, the Masi and the Kona are both in the running,
  • Hi riddleofsteel.

I'm thinking of getting 2021 Sutra LTD. I'm 174 cm and 79 cm inseam. I'm in between 52 and 54 due to KONA size chart. Not sure which size fits me.
    No shop around here selling KONA sutra.
    Are you happy with size 52? Could you give me some advice?
  • Hi riddleofsteel.

I'm thinking of getting 2021 Sutra LTD. I'm 174 cm and 79 cm inseam. I'm in between 52 and 54 due to KONA size chart. Not sure which size fits me.

Hi there. Thanks for your message.

I’m really happy with the 52cm Sutra. Took a three day trip with it fully loaded last summer and worked like a charm.

• sunhak320Q2v7ovQ3
    edited December 2020

Hi riddleofsteel.

Hi there. Thanks for your message.

I’m really happy with the 52cm Sutra. Took a three day trip with it fully loaded last summer and worked like a charm.

Thank you for quick reply!
    You are taller than me and happy with size 52.
    That makes my size 52,too.
    I really appreciate if you can share your sutra ltd set up picture.
    And if you can, please let me know the length of BB to saddle top.

Thanks in advance.
  • There you go. Except i ended up putting my campshoes (the yellow plastic bag) on top of the rear racket. BB to saddle top 72cm.

https://pic.useful.fi/uIoiGacih.jpg
  • There you go. Except i ended up putting my campshoes (the yellow plastic bag) on top of the rear racket. BB to saddle top 72cm.

https://pic.useful.fi/uIoiGacih.jpg

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!
    This pic and the measurement really helps me deciding the size.
    Now I'm pretty sure 52 is the size for me.

Just want to make sure that the length you measured for me is below, right?

• Yep, that’s the one.
  • Yep, that’s the one.

Thank you very much!
    I 'll go for size 52.
    Have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy new year!