Fulcrum Racing 5 LG

bmxboy10
bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
edited September 2018 in Road buying advice
These seem a good deal especially with some of the discount codes about at the moment. Does anyone have any experience of thee wheels? They seem to get good reviews as do the Quattros but I am just after a cheepish training wheel set for my n+1.

Comments

• Had mine for two years and never had a problem. Used all year round on my n+0 .
  • Got a set, they roll nicely but nothing special, just as any other wheels at that price-point would be to be fair.
  • cq20
    cq20 Posts: 207
    I’ve had 9000 trouble-free miles on mine so far. I prefer them to the Quattros which I found a bit too susceptible to cross winds e.g. going past a gap in a hedge when it is blowing a bit.
  • I was also looking at Campy Khamsin's as a winter training set of wheels. Not looking to hijack the thread, but aren't they very similar wheel sets?
    Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts....
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    I was also looking at Campy Khamsin's as a winter training set of wheels. Not looking to hijack the thread, but aren't they very similar wheel sets?
    Not sure, the 5s have an asymmetric rear rim. You can get them for £168 in Evans right now so I took a punt.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I love the Fulcrum Racing series - I've found them to be good wheels for not a lot of money.

I put FR5s on my wifes bike as an upgrade to the stock wheels - they've been brilliant .. I'm riding Fulcrum Racing Sport on my best bike (rather than put my best wheels on it) at the moment and they're fine. If I needed to replace a set of wheels, it's the range I'd turn to (or the Campag equivalent)
  • I had a pair , hub snapped where it holds the spoke ,completely dishing the wheel and jamming it into my frame causing yet more damage . Whilst waiting to be shipped off for inspection the remaining spokes in the hub also snapped away from the hub . I was told this has happened before due to the high tension in them . No idea if they have changed design but I won't ever be using them again . Everyone else seems to rate them for price though .
  • jlloyd
    jlloyd Posts: 131
    I was also looking at Campy Khamsin's as a winter training set of wheels. Not looking to hijack the thread, but aren't they very similar wheel sets?

For the price - they are a decent set of wheels, mine are still true after several thousand miles in all conditions
  • They used to claim 2:1 spokes on the rear but a bit difficult with only 20 spokes.