Is it too early for a lights thread yet? - Exposure Strada alternatives (2018)

wolfsbane2k
wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
edited September 2018 in Road buying advice
Right.
C2W scheme is burning a hole in my pocket. If had my eyes set on a B&M Luxos U light and dynamo setup, but that's a really stretch to get that In budget as it's hitting the £200+ mark on top of the bike, and ends up throwing a wheel away.

So I'm reconsidering options but really want a polite, dipped light, such as German standard, but one that's got circa ten hours of battery life, as I'm fed up with charging all the frigging time.

Looking at other lights have lead to the exposure mk9 Strada 900 lumens, or b&m iq-x with external battery pack, which allows swapping between bikes a lot easier if required.

The Garmin Varia doesn't give enough battery life and it's too complicated.
I'm really struggling to compare these lights and justify the expense...

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Note : solar storms etc are excluded on the basis of being horrid to cycle into.

Ps anyone knowing the cycle show has good opportunities to compare lights in this price range?
Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...

Comments

• There will be plenty of lights manufacturers at the NEC, so having a good gawp won't be hard.

What sort of light do you need? Country roads with no street lights, or urban lit areas? I'm suspecting by the mention of 900 lumens it's the former. I have a commute that is 95% unlit roads, and it's about 90 minutes door to office door, and I have an Exposure Joystick (Mk10 I think) that does me fine, but battery life is only about 2 hours at most on a high setting, so probably not suitable for your needs. I have a charger at home and at work, so can usually get away with charging every other ride (given I don't use the highest setting for all the journey).
  • You can sell the old wheel you know! Dynamo is soo convenient.
  • There will be plenty of lights manufacturers at the NEC, so having a good gawp won't be hard.

What sort of light do you need? Country roads with no street lights, or urban lit areas? I'm suspecting by the mention of 900 lumens it's the former. I have a commute that is 95% unlit roads, and it's about 90 minutes door to office door, and I have an Exposure Joystick (Mk10 I think) that does me fine, but battery life is only about 2 hours at most on a high setting, so probably not suitable for your needs. I have a charger at home and at work, so can usually get away with charging every other ride (given I don't use the highest setting for all the journey).

Cheers. 2 possible routes: 1 fully urban, or 20% urban followed by very rural through dark skies territory. circa 45 mins -1 hour each way ride, but the route will depend upon weather, road state, traffic, and how much time I have available - so aiming at circa 10 hours battery total per charge....

That would align with my other lights ( rear: moon shield-x, moon comet-x , aldi rear camera in camera only mode, front: moon comet-x + seeing light, currently a nanoshot+)

The strada 900 supposedly ( but I can't find it expliclty laid out) is capable of running at 50% output for 12 hours, so was thinking that I'd be running on 50% most of the time - my nanoshot + is 600 lumens, and I find "low" setting on that is ok most of the time.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • You can sell the old wheel you know! Dynamo is soo convenient.

Legally, not if it's been bought on a C2W scheme you can't, as you don't own it.

Cheers. 2 possible routes: 1 fully urban, or 20% urban followed by very rural through dark skies territory. circa 45 mins -1 hour each way ride, but the route will depend upon weather, road state, traffic, and how much time I have available - so aiming at circa 10 hours battery total per charge....

That would align with my other lights ( rear: moon shield-x, moon comet-x , aldi rear camera in camera only mode, front: moon comet-x + seeing light, currently a nanoshot+)

The strada 900 supposedly ( but I can't find it expliclty laid out) is capable of running at 50% output for 12 hours, so was thinking that I'd be running on 50% most of the time - my nanoshot + is 600 lumens, and I find "low" setting on that is ok most of the time.

I have the Strada 600 which has the same run times, it appears to run true to its estimates, I don’t use the medium much, but generally use low switching to high once I enter full dark, if it’s fairly good roads then medium is probably good enough, the big advantage I find with the Strada is the remote switch so you can dip the light, if someone is coming or switch to full as you turn into the gloom etc, which seems easier on flat bars, at least I’ve not found a happy place for it on the gravel bike.
  • https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Moon-Meteor-St ... xoQAvD_BwE

Probably get some form of discount through Tredz too, sure they normally pop up now and again.

I do a weekly night ride with a bunch all through winter. 6:30 until as late as 10, route depending. I highly doubt anything in the price range can match this. Easily as good as the exposure lights others have.

Very bright, great spread of light, loads of modes, massive battery life and it has a wired velcro remote that you can have on the tops for easy switching through light levels or for activating the 30 second boost.
  • I've gone with the Ravemen PR1200 this year. Seems very well made and has a dipped beam feature.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • I've gone with the Ravemen PR1200 this year. Seems very well made and has a dipped beam feature.

I'd just made the decision to go that route as well, only to find the shop that's got the bike i want at a damn good discount doesn't sell Raveman. Damnation and blast.