Vuelta 2918, Stage 18: Ejea de los Caballeros > Lleida - 186,1 km *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
edited September 2018 in Pro race
Ejea de los Caballeros > Lleida 13/09/2018 - Stage 18 - 186,1 km

Hard to motivate myself for this one.
Stage 18 in the Vuelta a España travels from Ejea de los Caballeros to Lleida. Amounting to 186.1 kilometres, the route is tailor made for fast finishers.
Zero ascents in a race of over 180 kilometres. Are we talking La Vuelta here? Yes, we are. Some false flats and a number of rolling sections – that’s it.

eb299

7e1f6

Three years ago, the Spanish Grand Tour visited Lleida after a few days of hard climbing in Andorra. Now it’s the exact opposite. In the 19th stage the Vuelta a España sets out to Andorra for the last two mountain stages. In 2015, Danny van Poppel won the sprint in Lleida, finishing ahead of Daryl Impey and Tosh Van der Sande.
Fast finishers in this year’s 18th stage should keep in mind that a false flat of 500 metres begins with 700 metres out. The last 200 metres are flat.

Video of the final 5kms.
https://youtu.be/T_to9cvR_p8

Finish details.

stage-18-finish.jpg

Favourites 18th stage 2019 Vuelta a España

**** Elia Viviani
*** Danny van Poppel, Peter Sagan
** Simone Consonni, Giacomo Nizzolo, Max Walscheid
* Matteo Trentin, Michael Schwarzmann, Ryan Gibbons

Team hotels.
stage-18-hotel.jpg

Ejea de los Caballeros
Unprecedented departure

16,596 inhabitants

La Vuelta departs from the Aragon municipality of Ejea de los Caballeros for the first time. Its tower, its church-fortress and its walls, the result of a territorial dispute between Muslims and Christians in Medieval times, will send the peloton off towards the Pyrenees. The locality has cycling in its blood and has been organising the “Educating with Cycling” days for the past three years, that bring together cycling personalities to discuss the best ways in which to transmit this sport's values.
Ejea is a city with a long and rich history. Capital of Cinco Villas, it is one of the regions with the most cultural and natural heritage in the Province of Zaragoza. It has two Romanesque churches - Santa María and El Salvador - and a Baroque one - Virgen de la Oliva -. All three are cocooned within a historical centre where it is a pleasure to stroll and see the ancient mansions.

espana-zaragoza_1473250616.jpeg

It offers very interesting cultural activities, with magnificent exhibits in its museums: Aquagraria (Spain’s most important agricultural machinery exhibit), the Art and Exhibition Centre, La Espiral, the Casa del Colono and the Bardena Visitors Centre. It also has a first-rate cultural programme, with national events including the Choral Contest.
You can spend a day in Las Bardenas or enjoy the ample network of lagoons and reservoirs such as Bolaso, San Bartolomé, Moncayuelo, Laverné and Malvecino.
Ejea is a modern city that keeps up with economic development and social progress. It is the only municipality in Aragón that bears the distinction of “City of Science and Innovation”. It also has a Technological Park where its companies are on the cutting-edge of innovation.

Lleida
16 La Vuelta stages have had finales in Lleida

138,144 inhabitants

Lleida Province

Lleida is one of La Vuelta's “sprinter territories”. In the past decade, two stages have ended in what is known as the capital of inland Catalonia and two first-class names have added Lleida to their list of achievements: Mark Cavendish, winner of 30 Tour de France stages and Danny Van Poppel, son of the legendary Dutch sprinter, Jean Paul Van Poppel.
Lleida is the capital of Catalonia’s interior. It is a city that projects itself to Europe and to the rest of the world as a cultural and sporting epicentre that La Vuelta’s passage, yet again, comes to reinforce. Lleida is also a reference city in one of the continent’s main food production and exporting areas.

Things-to-do-in-Lleida-1.jpg?resize=1024%2C683&ssl=1

La Seu Vella and Rey/Suda Castle - magnificent monumental complex and symbol of Peace and Concord that aims to become a UNESCO World Heritage Site -, the Gardeny Templar Castle, the Food Industry Scientific and Technological Park - an international reference - the Llotja -Theatre and Conference Centre -, the Jaume Morera Municipal Art Museum and the Commercial Axis, one of the longest in Europe, are just some of the attractions that travellers come across in a city that is open to knowledge and is the headquarters to what, in the 14th century, was the first university of the Crown of Aragón and one of the first in Europe.

This vibrant and modern university, commercial, cultural, service and 100% sporting city welcomes visitors with warmth and hospitality, and it will do so again with all the participants of La Vuelta 18.

lleida-nocturn-e1465393674517.jpg
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097

Ejea de los Caballeros

Ejea ... has two Romanesque churches - Santa María and El Salvador - and a Baroque one - Virgen de la Oliva -. All three are cocooned within a historical centre where it is a pleasure to stroll and see the ancient mansions.

This fabulous building isn't in Ejea (as the text might suggest) but in the city of Zaragoza. It is the Basilica (de Nuestra Señora) del Pilar.

Nonetheless, good work Blazing Saddles, esp if you have motivation problems for this stage.
  • knedlicky wrote:

Ejea de los Caballeros

Ejea ... has two Romanesque churches - Santa María and El Salvador - and a Baroque one - Virgen de la Oliva -. All three are cocooned within a historical centre where it is a pleasure to stroll and see the ancient mansions.

This fabulous building isn't in Ejea (as the text might suggest) but in the city of Zaragoza. It is the Basilica (de Nuestra Señora) del Pilar.

Nonetheless, good work Blazing Saddles, esp if you have motivation problems for this stage.

Yeah, this didn't really do much for me.

_ejea_cd7796f0.jpg?b10eae4d6adf2639bc3d986d0a54d943
  • Just a note to say thanks for the Intro's. Often more entertaining than the stages, especially one like this; they are eagerly awaited and enjoyed.
    'fool'
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    knedlicky wrote:

Ejea de los Caballeros

Yeah, this didn't really do much for me.

_ejea_cd7796f0.jpg?b10eae4d6adf2639bc3d986d0a54d943

So you have gone with a stereotypical caricature of a Spanish church rather than a true representation... :D
    Half man, Half bike
  • Ridgerider wrote:
    So you have gone with a stereotypical caricature of a Spanish church rather than a true representation... :D

Almost.
    I went with the one just down the road in the big city.

This stage is turning into an absolute ripper.............for insomniacs.
  • ridgerider
    Ridgerider wrote:

Almost.

Well it's all kicking off here if you wanted something to read in the meantime...

https://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12885414&start=5080
    Half man, Half bike
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,231
    Ridgerider wrote:

Almost.

Massive buttresses, slitty arrow holes, often regarded as less “sophisticated” than their European counterparts... enough of this churchist nonsense!
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,231
    I just saw Mitch Docker go back to the team car.
    Adam Yates is chatting to Cummings up the bola of the peloton.
    That’s my run down of the last few K’s.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Ridgerider wrote:
    Ridgerider wrote:

Almost.

Well it's all kicking off here if you wanted something to read in the meantime...

https://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12885414&start=5080

I just wanted to hear 'what makes the red man red' again...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • its not very exciting is it. Tennis has more to offer LOL
  • I still maintain that stages like this serve no purpose. Name one good reason for this.

Seriously. I can refute all of them.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    I'm happy my leftfield PTP pick made it into tbe break. He won't get any points but it's a moral victory.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ridgerider
    Craigus89 wrote:
    I still maintain that stages like this serve no purpose. Name one good reason for this.

Seriously. I can refute all of them.

It tests the size of their tanks...

(speak to Chasey, not me!)
    Half man, Half bike
  • You know when you are watching a good film on tv, when it gets to the exciting bit?

Well, this is stage is that ad break they put in to break the tension.
  • But if the break stays away it may be slightly interesting.

6K to go and still have 35 seconds.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,230
    edited September 2018
    These days are OK if the pack has to actually work a bit to bring the break back. That said, I haven't watched the first 3 and a half hours, obviously.
  • Craigus89 wrote:
    But if the break stays away it may be slightly interesting.

6K to go and still have 35 seconds.

Ain't gonna happen.
  • Or maybe it will. :oops:
  • Now that was as close as it gets. Fair play.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,597
    Superb last km :)
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • Wallays wins from the break by about a bike length.
  • Sagan's solo chase sums up the collective coma that came over the peloton.

Wallays takes the unlikely win.
  • Glad I tuned in
  • RichN95 wrote:
    I'm happy my leftfield PTP pick made it into tbe break. He won't get any points but it's a moral victory.

Erm.... fancy a trip to Vegas Rich?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    RichN95 wrote:

Erm.... fancy a trip to Vegas Rich?
    I'm starting to think I may actually be God.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ridgerider
    Is this the stage that your mates were spectating at?

Just saying...
    Half man, Half bike
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Just watched the highlights, haha that was a great finish... Definitely worth watching.
  • That was great. Sagan was mightily impressive at the end there, another what, 50 metres and he'd have done it.

Some red faces in the sprinters teams I'd imagine though last night.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918
    I doubt Sagan had another 50m in him - he went from well over 350m out.
    good to see the break hold on, just.