First FS MTB Options

sapara117
sapara117 Posts: 3
edited September 2018 in MTB buying advice
I am currently trying to decide which direction is the best direction when buying my first full suspension MTB. I come from a motocross and BMX background and have been on two wheels since I was 2 and love it.

The dilemma...

I am currently looking at a 2019 Trek Fuel ex5 from a local shop, and also a used 2016 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp Carbon 6Fattie (both 27.50)

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bike ... Code=black

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-Specializ ... fresh=true

So I am trying to weight the pros and cons of both options, I like the Fox 34 set up that the Stumper comes with but am not sure how the newer Rockshox recon rl's stack up. besides that I am looking for advice, suggestions, and 2cents on which way to go and why!

Much appreciated,
Colin

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The Stumpy has better everything. But is second hand.

Why those two in particular?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • What sort of riding are you looking at doing?

What's your budget?
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • Budget is right around 2k give or take a couple hundred. The reason for those two original choices is because those are the top two brands in the MTB world that I am familiar with and local shops are dealers as well for whatever thats worth.

As far as ridding, a little bit of everything, mostly trails, and dirt jumps. I live on the east coast so nothing huge huge.

Absolutely open to suggestions!
  • £2k gives you a reasonable choice.

Spech make good bikes (my HT is a Stumpy) but you can arguably get more for your money with other brands nowadays.

You also need to decide what sort of travel will suit your riding best. For general trails/XC 120mm would be fine (some would argue a good HT would be enough). For maybe more Trail riding and some jumps (depends what you mean when you say that), then 130-140mm is a good option.

It really is very hard to choose a bike now as you just get so many options. If you've got dealers local to you, then go chuck your leg over a few and see what you think. The most important thing is that the bike fits you and suits the riding you want to do. The branding is then secondary.

This time of year is a good time to get outgoing 2018 models with c.25% off.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'm guessing that's US$ not £. Doubt many people here are too clued up on what's available for what there.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools