New bike, seat post a little short...

iannucci
iannucci Posts: 15
edited September 2018 in MTB general
Just got myself a 2018 cube reaction Pro https://www.cube.eu/uk/2018/bikes/mountainbike/hardtail/reaction/cube-reaction-pro-blacknred-2018/ from evan cycles. I have the seat post at its limit but I think I need it 1 or 2 cm higher. The reach feels ok, saddle is pretty uncomfortable, I would guess thats just down to the saddle (or me) rather than the fit of the bike? I'm torn if to just get a new seat post and saddle or return the bike and get the next size up. Sending the bike back and getting it packed correctly will be a bit of pain in the arse if youll forgive the pun. Is there anything I need to consider between these two option that casual rider like myself might not have thought of?

Comments

• CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    The frame may have a max post length. I'd check that before making a decision on new post vs returning the bike.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    I've found cube bike frame on the small side, I. e. A large frame tends be 19 in, (specialized, cannondale, Scott) whereas the cube is 18 in.

Anyway, did you buy the correct size? How tall are you and what is seat tube length.

Generally unless a stupidly short seatpost is fitted, once the min. insertion mark is view, that implies the frame is too small.

How did you set the seat height, what is the length of the seatpost (these are 350-400mm in most cases)

Can you post photo of side view of the bike.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,576
    Is it the correct length seatpost?

2 bikes I ordered from Evans they incorrectly fitted with 300mm posts, when they should have been 350, and I needed the 350 for my leg length.
    Smaller frames came with a 300, mine, and larger frames, were specced with the 350.
    Also one was alloy, when it was meant to be carbon....

A Fuji also from Evans, generated the same issue for my girlfriend, but that was how it was specced, so simply bought and fitted a new seatpost.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • 02GF74 wrote:
    Anyway, did you buy the correct size? How tall are you and what is seat tube length.

How did you set the seat height, what is the length of the seatpost (these are 350-400mm in most cases)

Can you post photo of side view of the bike.

Im 6 foot and got the 19 inch size, this is what the evans size sheet recommends. I also compared all the measurements to other bikes i have tried as someone else on here warned about the cube bikes tending to be smaller.

Seat tube is 360mm the clamp bit on the end makes it 400mm in total i imagine.

SOfCUhu.jpg
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    If the seat tube measures 360mm that's a 15" frame as the 19" frame is 470mm.

Measure the top tube and see what that is, it should be 600mm on the 19" frame, the 15" is 558mm.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    I think by 'seat tube' iannucci means the seat post, rather than the frame's seat tube.
  • That frame looks a bit small for a 19".. That's a lot of seat post!

Arr you sure they've not supplied a smaller frame by accident?
    I'm 6'3
    I have a 22" cube frame I built up, granted its a different one (a 2014 cube analog) although bear in mind mines in smaller wheels too (26inch)

A9WbbHL.jpg
  • 02gf74
    iannucci wrote:
    Im 6 foot and got the 19 inch size, this is what the evans size sheet recommends.

Seat tube is 360mm the clamp bit on the end makes it 400mm in total i imagine.

A large = 19 in frame is correct for you but top tube length, measured horizontally is important too.

Cube's have frame size on rear of seat tube, you checked,?

Seatpost length is from end to middle of saddle rail, needs really for it to be removed from the frame. There minimum insertion mark is typically 100 mm from end.

Side view does not look to bad, I'll take some measurements and photos of my bike.
  • Me-109 wrote:
    I think by 'seat tube' iannucci means the seat post, rather than the frame's seat tube.

Yes sorry seat post is what I meant. I took it out completely and measured the tube up too the rail attachment part, like I said that was 360mm so I guess its a 380mm or 400mm post.

I had looked at the frame prior to check it was indeed the 19 inch one and thats what it is.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,576
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • 02gf74
    iannucci wrote:
    Me-109 wrote:
    Yes sorry seat post is what I meant. I took it out completely and measured the tube up too the rail attachment part, like I said that was 360mm so I guess its a 380mm or 400mm post.

If you measured from the end of the seatpost, removed from the frame, to the saddle rail midpoint, and found it to be, 360 mm, that is the length.... So I have no idea why you guessing it is something else other than 360mm.

Fitting 400mn post should sort it out.

BTW what is the horizontal top tube length or post up geometry for the frame, it should show it.
  • What I meant is I measured only the post, up to where the rail fitting block begins. So to the middle of the rail I estimate would add at least another 20mm.

Top tub horizontal is 600mm.
  • 02gf74
    Yeah, I can see geometry in the link in your original post. Although frame is 19 in, actual seat tube length is 18.5 in. That is not an issue, I have specialized bike like that. Thing I found withe cube frames, and believe I've posted it 3 times is they are a bit smaller.

Too tube on 19 is usually 610 or a bit more, it is 600 on the cube, 2018 specialized are even longer, see.
    https://www.specialized.com/us/en/epic- ... 230-155040.

We're talking a difference of less than, 15-20 mm that can be dialled out by longer stem, saddle position or seatpost offset.

A 400mm post will solve your length issue.
    Have you set up your seat height correctly, I'm 6 ft 1 with 34 leg and top of seat from centre of BB is 79 cm, I'd guess you would have it at 77 - 77.5 m.
  • 02gf74
    edited September 2018
    :idea:
  • Hey thanks for the further replies 02GF74. Sorry, I didn't see them till now as for some reason I didn't get a notification in my email. I'm waiting for a reply from cube to check i can fit a long seat post as per CitizenLee's suggestion. Even with the seat at max height i still have a little too much bend in the knee for my liking.