13 and 11 years new bike suggestions!

kirby700
kirby700 Posts: 458
edited September 2018 in MTB buying advice
Hi Everyone

Help, the time is nearing (xmas)

Both lads want to come out more with me and their both getting bigger now. The max budget is £625 per bike.

My youngest loves this but hes on the cusp of outgrowing it

https://www.whyte.bike/403

They both love this but want a single ring up front as they see a triple as old fashioned

https://www.whyte.bike/604

My mates son has this

http://www.diamondback.co.uk/MTB/Produc ... 0&pg=21209, but m not sure it will have the kudos (for them)

any other ideas?

thanks
GIANT XTC 2.5
BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    The new Whyte 604 is 2x9. Would that be seen as less old-fashioned?

Frog MTB 69 or 72.

Orbea MX 26 Team.

Focus Bold SL for the older lad.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • How about involving them in the purchase of a used bike and the subsequent build to get them something they will go crazy about? This will give them some extra father-son bonding time and the benefit of some spanner time. Additionally they will reap the benefit of some patience whilst they wait for the ideal bike to turn up.

I did this with my grandson's bike and although I could tell that he was underwhelmed by the heavy dull coloured bike with narrow bars, long stem, wide gel saddle, grungy triple, and a knackered fork, he now has an absolutely cracking lightweight bike. It is Audi Laser red, 1x10, wide bars, short stem, XT 1x10, SLX brakes, Mavic Crossmax wheels and a Rockshox Recon fork, proper saddle, and so forth. Overall it cost me slightly more than your budget But that was offset by selling off the old wheels. Although he got the respray, the brakes, fork, 1x10, and the snappy saddle all in one go for much less, the rest came later with birthdays and Xmas. The bike now weighs just under 25lbs including the DMR V8 pedals.

It was a gift that kept on giving for both of us. He has great memories of seeing it transform before his eyes, of helping to build it, plus the joy of subsequent upgrades. I got the pleasure of spending spanner time and riding time with him and watching his personal development as well as his riding skills improve.

Here is a pic after the first piece of work. New rims and pedals were added later, then bars and tyres later still. By the way, that rear triangle is carbon fibre!

29676726437_dddf269f4d_z.jpg

I wanted to show a pic of the "before" but I can't get it to upload to Flickr, just keeps timing out.
  • I'd like to build them one each too but I can see it will be job and half sourcing parts etc
    Never thought to check boardman or frog. I'll forward these to the boys.
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA