Roubaix Frame Size 58 or 61 ?

mfrey
mfrey Posts: 11
edited September 2018 in Road buying advice
Hello,

I have decided to purchase a Roubaix Comp/Expert 2018(or 2019 depending on size availability).

I am 189cm tall with an inseam of 88cm. My current seatpost height is 81cm. I am hesitating between the 58 and 61 frame size. I am not looking for an aggressive riding position (otherwise I would have picked another bike), but am looking for something rather comfortable, but not too relaxed neither.

I can unfortunately not test ride both sizes to compares, as I could not find any 61 frame size to test ride (in Switzerland)

Based on the sizing chart of Specialized, you should go with 61 from 188.

I have been riding a Scott Addict 10 (XL) with a quite aggressive position and am looking for something a bit more comfortable, so I am not looking at reproducing the same position on the new bike.

Any experiences, pro/cons of picking the 58 or 61 frames ?

Thanks for your feed-back,

Marcel

Comments

• Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    I have a Roubaix sport and a 58 fits perfectly. I'm 187 / 85.

Suspect you might be better with the smaller frame.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I am in a similar position at being between two sizes in Specialized bikes but for me it is between 61cm and 64cm.

I found the 61cm with the stem flipped in the upright position with spacers below it works well for me giving me the riding position I want without feeling like I am on a huge bike. For me the 64cm bike had too much reach and felt too large overall. If you can test ride a 58cm bike and if the bars are too low ask them to flip the stem upright to see what you think.

Generally it is easy to make a bike that is a little too small fit you but next to impossible to make a bike that is too big fit you.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Kajjal wrote:

Generally it is easy to make a bike that is a little too small fit you but next to impossible to make a bike that is too big fit you.

That's nonsense really.

To start with, I'd go to a decent bike fitter as your saddle height number looks too high for your leg length which means you'll always struggle to get a bike to fit properly.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    styxd wrote:
    Kajjal wrote:

That's nonsense really.

To start with, I'd go to a decent bike fitter as your saddle height number looks too high for your leg length which means you'll always struggle to get a bike to fit properly.

I think you replied to the wrong post :)
  • mfrey
    Zendog1 wrote:
    I have a Roubaix sport and a 58 fits perfectly. I'm 187 / 85.

Suspect you might be better with the smaller frame.
    Thank you for the reply, my preference was also the size 58
  • mfrey
    Kajjal wrote:
    I am in a similar position at being between two sizes in Specialized bikes but for me it is between 61cm and 64cm.

I found the 61cm with the stem flipped in the upright position with spacers below it works well for me giving me the riding position I want without feeling like I am on a huge bike. For me the 64cm bike had too much reach and felt too large overall. If you can test ride a 58cm bike and if the bars are too low ask them to flip the stem upright to see what you think.

Thank you for the reply, I will go for the smaller one (58)
  • rwoofer
    rwoofer Posts: 222
    styxd wrote:
    Kajjal wrote:

That's nonsense really.

That was my first reaction when I saw the numbers. I have 91cm inside leg measurement and use a saddle height of 825mm, so I would expect a 3cm short leg to have a correspondingly shorter saddle.
  • ...slightly ot, sorry, but still relevant-ish - I'm looking at replacing my 2016 Roubaix and see (in the UK) the 2018 models all discounted by 20% - I guess in anticiaption of the launch of the 2019 range.

Anyway, as nice as a 20% discount is, anyone know from experience if this is as good as it gets untill the old stock is shifted or is it worth taking the "out of stock" risk to hang on for a better deal?....every online store is offering the identical discount so I guess this is controlled by Spesh, or do individual stores get to make their own deals eventually?

thanks...
  • mfrey
    rwoofer wrote:
    styxd wrote:
    Kajjal wrote:

That's nonsense really.

That was my first reaction when I saw the numbers. I have 91cm inside leg measurement and use a saddle height of 825mm, so I would expect a 3cm short leg to have a correspondingly shorter saddle.

Interesting comment abouit the saddle height. I did get a bike fit on my current bike, have anyway considered getting another fit on the new bike, as the position will be quite different from the old bike