Swapping front rotor onto the rear...

bobsyeruncle
bobsyeruncle Posts: 6
edited September 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Guys
My son has a Voodoo Bizango and has upgraded the 180mm front rotor to a 203mm and all is well upfront.
He put the 180 rotor from the front onto the rear, replacing the original 160 rotor.
The original caliper bolted onto the frame without a bracket so he has used the one from the front. It's a post to post bracket.
However when he does this the rotor catches the caliper stopping the wheel from turning.
He can get it to work by adding a couple of washers to one end of the bracket which alters the angle of the caliper and it no longer catches.
The rotor doesnt sit into the caliper as much as it does in the front, so we're not sure if he's getting maximum pad coverage on the rotor.
Couple of questions for you...
1: should he be able to get a different bracket so he doesn't need to use the washers? Only brackets that I can find for the rear are post to is.
2: will it do any harm using the washers?

Thanks

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Has he put the adaptor on the right way round?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JBA wrote:
    Has he put the adaptor on the right way round?
    Yes, The up arrow is pointing upwards.
    He did try it the other way round but it was the same.
    Thanks
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It should be a direct swap, so the logical conclusion is he's done something wrong.

Without some photo's its going to be pretty much impossible to give meaningful advice.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    The Rookie wrote:
    It should be a direct swap, so the logical conclusion is he's done something wrong.

Without some photo's its going to be pretty much impossible to give meaningful advice.

This is good advice, photos would be helpful.
  • The Rookie wrote:

I can get some images over the weekend and post them up.
    Thanks
  • Kajjal wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

This is good advice, photos would be helpful.
    Ok, thanks.
    I'll get some images over the weekend.