Garmin Edge 820 offers

2»

Comments

• sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Who claimed it had 15 hour life in nav mode? Its probably about 12 the rest of time time. But honestly who does 15 hour rides?
    Erm let me think...oh yes that would be Garmin...when it was released...on their website :wink:
    They then changed it to "up to 15hrs" and it's still nowhere near.
    8hrs is VERY optimistic.....and I never used navigation :roll:
    It's not a case of "who does 15hr rides"at all.It is a case of having to charge the piece of shite after every ride if you're doing rides of 4hrs+ just to be on the safe side :roll:
    I took the Wahoo to Mallorca in May,7 days,5 rides,charged it once.
    As I said had Garmins for years but my eyes are now fully open :mrgreen:
  • Larger device in longer battery life shocker?
  • sniper68
    Larger device in longer battery life shocker?
    Garmin made the claims for the 820 not me.
  • sniper68

Oh look still there :roll:

http://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/543199#spec
    Maybe Google stuff before commenting :?: :lol:
  • I put mine on charge after a 2x1 hour commute, because I can't risk it not lasting my next 4-5 hour ride...

It is terrible. I would happily go back to my 500 if the tabs hadn't broken on it in the first place and I decided I was too lazy to repair it.
  • Sniper68 wrote:

Blimey you are really upset. Did you get stranded by a Garmin running out of battery somewhere when you were a child?

Personally I tend not to run battery down completely on things tp challenge advertising claims and get aggitated, so I don't actually know how long it will last. The Wahoo says 17 on the website. Hysterics aside it might not be very different.

But I am pleased for you and your Wahoo I really am.
  • sniper68
    Blimey you are really upset. Did you get stranded by a Garmin running out of battery somewhere when you were a child?
    Personally I tend not to run battery down completely on things tp challenge advertising claims and get aggitated, so I don't actually know how long it will last. The Wahoo says 17 on the website. Hysterics aside it might not be very different.

You seem to interpret things quite differently to normal people don't you?Upset,hysterics?I think maybe that's you?I'm stating facts about my experience and you seem to be deeply wounded because I'm slating your beloved little toy :lol:

Here's some reading material for you:-
    https://forums.garmin.com/forum/into-sp ... dge-820-aa
    As I said it's a piece of shite :mrgreen:
    I too am pleased with my Wahoo thanks :wink:
    (oh and 14hrs is the longest I've managed with it but I too tend not to run it lower than 15% battery)
  • Sniper68 wrote:

Says "Up to 15 hours GPS training mode" there - nothing about battery life while using navigation is there unless I missed it? If you have GLONASS and navigation switched on (and not the battery saving mode reducing screen use), it will be lower. Obviously.

I think the issue with it seems to be the consistency of quality - if some people are getting nervous about battery after only a few hours without navigation, and some people have bad touchscreen, then it's not good enough, even if other people (like me) are happy with it.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Sniper68 wrote:

You're being a bit piffy just because plenty don't rate something that you do and they have produced for you a claim made made by Garmin that is simply not true. I've owned 3 Garmin's in my cycling life and only one of them was fit for purpose; the 705. The 810 was great until the 520 came out piggybacked onto the same firmware and screwed the operation of the 810 up. I switched to the 820 thinking piggybacking that onto the same firmware would see the 820 be the device without problems, but no. It was even worse than the 810 with a shambles of a touch screen, drop outs and firmware issues and I got shot of it at the first opportunity.

Garmin are renowned for iffy firmware screwing up devices. They release updates without thorough testing and then take an age to rectify it. Wahoo on the other hand, produce cheaper devices that are simple to operate compared to Garmin, do everything a cyclist needs and respond to problems within an expected time slot. Chuffed for you that you rate your Garmin, but I and others think they're pants.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • philthy3 wrote:
    Sniper68 wrote:

You're being a bit piffy just because plenty don't rate something that you do and they have produced for you a claim made made by Garmin that is simply not true. I've owned 3 Garmin's in my cycling life and only one of them was fit for purpose; the 705. The 810 was great until the 520 came out piggybacked onto the same firmware and screwed the operation of the 810 up. I switched to the 820 thinking piggybacking that onto the same firmware would see the 820 be the device without problems, but no. It was even worse than the 810 with a shambles of a touch screen, drop outs and firmware issues and I got shot of it at the first opportunity.

Garmin are renowned for iffy firmware screwing up devices. They release updates without thorough testing and then take an age to rectify it. Wahoo on the other hand, produce cheaper devices that are simple to operate compared to Garmin, do everything a cyclist needs and respond to problems within an expected time slot. Chuffed for you that you rate your Garmin, but I and others think they're pants.
    Well, I'm not that exercised either way on account of it is only a bike computer, but it is interesting to try to introduce some balance. I'm sorry yours didn't work, or that you couldn't work it, and I hope you got a refund. If you didn't that's too bad. I just got back from a 3 1/2 hour ride on nav mode. Battery still showing about 80%. It just doesn't seem all that terrible to me.
  • StillGoing
    I knew how to work it, it simply wouldn't as a combination of the firmware and failure in the design of the touchscreen. I didn't get a refund, I sold it to a schmuck desperate for a Garmin 820 and bought a Wahoo ELEMNT. :lol:
  • philthy3 wrote:
    I knew how to work it, it simply wouldn't as a combination of the firmware and failure in the design of the touchscreen. I didn't get a refund, I sold it to a schmuck desperate for a Garmin 820 and bought a Wahoo ELEMNT. :lol:
    Bummer. An expensive bike computer for you then.
  • js14
    js14 Posts: 198
    But honestly who does 15 hour rides?
    Moi! About 21 hours to do a 400km BRM ride, only stopping for controls, food and comfort breaks. But then I recharge the GPS on the go from a dynamo hub, so worse battery life is not an absolute show stopper for me.

I guess a colour screen uses more power than a monochrome screen so the Wahoo should last longer than a Garmin, other things being more or less equal. A colour screen is not that useful, even for navigation, IMHO. Still I've gone with Garmin and bought a 520 Plus to replace the dead Edge 800.
  • StillGoing
    philthy3 wrote:
    Bummer. An expensive bike computer for you then.

Hardly, as I had change after selling the 820 and buying the Elemnt.
  • Either you sold the Garmin at a profit or maths isn't your strong point.
  • StillGoing
    Either you sold the Garmin at a profit or maths isn't your strong point.

Tsk so touchy! I sold my 820 when they were first out and way overpriced. You'd be surprised that people on eBay will pay more for a 2nd hand piece than they could buy a new one in the shops. At the same time there were some very good deals going on on the Wahoo ELEMNT, which was already cheaper than the 820.
  • philthy3 wrote:

Tsk so touchy! I sold my 820 when they were first out and way overpriced. You'd be surprised that people on eBay will pay more for a 2nd hand piece than they could buy a new one in the shops. At the same time there were some very good deals going on on the Wahoo ELEMNT, which was already cheaper than the 820.
    So maths is the issue. Thought so.
  • StillGoing
    philthy3 wrote:

Do you want some ketchup to go with that massive chip on your shoulder? The 820 was crap for me. The worst product Garmin have produced for me. It has been crap for lots of others too. Sorry that clearly upsets you, but Kleenex do very strong tissues for the tantrum tears. :wink:
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    No device is without issues. My mates Bolt froze up twice while we were in France, requiring a reset each time. And whilst my rides were uploaded from my 520 to Strava via BT and my phone within 30 seconds of saving them, it was driving him mad that the Bolt needs a WiFi connection which we didn’t have in the holiday home. He had to go to the restaurant each day to use the WiFi in order to upload his rides.
  • NorvernRob wrote:
    No device is without issues. My mates Bolt froze up twice while we were in France, requiring a reset each time. And whilst my rides were uploaded from my 520 to Strava via BT and my phone within 30 seconds of saving them, it was driving him mad that the Bolt needs a WiFi connection which we didn’t have in the holiday home. He had to go to the restaurant each day to use the WiFi in order to upload his rides.
    burn him.
  • philthy3 wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

Do you want some ketchup to go with that massive chip on your shoulder? The 820 was crap for me. The worst product Garmin have produced for me. It has been crap for lots of others too. Sorry that clearly upsets you, but Kleenex do very strong tissues for the tantrum tears. :wink:
    #irony
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    NorvernRob wrote:

The bolt DOES NOT need a wifi connection. It connects to your phone through bluetooth (as well as wifi) - how do you think livetrack works????
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    redvision wrote:
    NorvernRob wrote:

The bolt DOES NOT need a wifi connection. It connects to your phone through bluetooth (as well as wifi) - how do you think livetrack works????

Well it wouldn’t work on his phone and he had to get a WiFi connection for his rides to upload. :? He was getting increasingly aggravated with it as the week went on. And he’s a fully paid up Wahoo fanboy after ditching his Edge 1000 after it went wrong once.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Can confirm, doesnt need WiFi, I ended a ride at a cafe who dont have it, still uploaded perfectly fine. Im sure the manual states its a Bluetooth to phone then cellular upload.
  • harry-s
    harry-s Posts: 295
    I'd always assumed that the internet connection could be via wi-fi or GSM, but not according to Wahoo:

https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en- ... LT-to-WiFi

"The ELEMNT and BOLT require internet-connected WiFi to the bike computer directly for automatic workout uploads, firmware updates, route or map downloads, Strava Live Segment synchronization and other internet-enabled features. If you're having trouble with an internet-based feature, it's a good idea to check that connection is still active following these steps."

Maybe the café was near a Wi-Fi hotspot and you connected automatically?
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Any ride on the bolt is uploaded via the app. The app needs internet connection but like most apps doesn't seem to care if that's via mobile connection or WiFi.

The livetrack works far better than garmin and again uses mobile data, proving there is no need for WiFi.