Latex tubes = run at lower pressures?

luv2ride
luv2ride Posts: 2,367
edited September 2018 in Road general
Noobie latex tube query...
Used my old Campag Zonda's with Vittoria Pave CG 25mm, but fitted with latex tubes for first time this week. Frankly disappointed in the ride quality compared with my normal 50mm carbon rim wheels using 25mm Vittoria Corsas and normal butyl tubes. The inner rim width is a touch wider on the carbon wheels but otherwise I was running the tyres at the same pressures (80psi front, 85psi back). Should i be running the latex tubes a little lower?
Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So different wheels and tyres?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    How heavy are you ? I think you could go lower than that but just due to the width rather than the tube being latex.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Latex tubes do not enable you to run at lower pressures, assuming you are running the same volume tubes and tyres. Other than that, there's no reason to expect any significant difference in feel, or ride quality, or indeed any other intangible...
  • Very new to latex tubes here, but I think it's down to the tyre recommended pressures. I fitted my tubes in my new Hunt wheels and first set of 700*28 (really 31mm wide) GP4000 S2s.

Initially, I was using ~75/85psi, but sometimes the rear felt a little squishy while seated and the same could be said of the front when climbing out of the saddle.

But last week, I visited the Conti site, it suggests 95psi for this model (but only 80 for my older 700*28 Grand Sport Races, which I was using at ~65/80psi with butyl tubes).

Since then, I've boosted pressures to ~85/95psi front/rear and it feels so much better than before. It makes sense to me, as the GP4000 S2 rubber feels much softer and tackier, so they should feel better at higher pressure than lower Conti tyre models.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,219
    Experiment by lowering the pressures by 5 psi at a time until you reach your sweet spot.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,844
    A couple of things.
    Vittoria recommend higher pressures for their Pave tyres than average run of the mill tyres. Min 100psi although I run at 90+psi.
    Latex tubes lose pressure. In my experience at least 15psi over 100 miles. I wouldn't start with low pressure.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Pave tyres are not going to feel as plush as thinner best/race tyres whatever tubes you run them with. The benefits of latex tubes are really only felt with lightweight race tyres like Veloflex or Turbo Cottons in my experience.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Thanks for the input everyone. I was using 25mm Paves with butyl tubes on my carbon rim wheels until I put the Corsa Graphene 25mm's on. So I was happy with the "compliance" of that combo. I'd read lots of positive stuff about the latex tubes being comfy, but didn't feel this when paired with the Zonda's and Pave's the other day. But then I always remember the Zonda's as being very direct, but also a little harsh. I may drop them a further 5 psi as suggested, but acknowledge that they'll lose pressure on a long ride also. Useful to know latex tubes in themselves don't automatically mean you can run them at lower pressures though.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,659
    edited September 2018
    Is it worth pointing out that the material from which the wheels are made could be a factor?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,844
    Oh yes, an addendum. It was an experiment I only tried the once.
    Only thing I noticed was having to pump up the tyres on a daily basis. Back to butyl now.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    Oh yes, an addendum. It was an experiment I only tried the once.
    Only thing I noticed was having to pump up the tyres on a daily basis. Back to butyl now.
    I tried latex tubes once as well. It was ever so fun finding out how easy pinch flatting them during installation was. I never spent a better $15 during my student days.
  • I use latex tubes on any decent clincher, whether you can feel it or not it's a cheap way of getting a small performance gain, I mean you can't feel that a tight jersey is faster than a loose fitting one but most people still race in close fitting kit. I don't think they lose significant pressure on a long ride.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]