Picking mudguards for largest possible tyres Triban 540

genericpurpleturtle
edited September 2018 in Road buying advice
I would like to fit the biggest possible tyres with mudguards on a Triban 540 and I've read that the max tyre size with mudguards for the triban 540 is 28mm.

At the moment there's a sale on Chainreaction cycles and some of the SKS Mudguards I've looked at seem to be 35mm wide for 20-28mm tyres or 45mm wide for 28-37mm. While the LifeLine brand mudguards I've looked at are either 38mm wide for 18-25mm tyres or 42mm for 28-32mm tyres.

So the small LifeLine mudguards seem to be wider than the small SKS muguards but take smaller tyres!? Out of those options three can take 28mm tyres but the mudguards themselves vary from 35mm to 45mm wide. Should any mudguards designed for 28mm tyres work? How do I know which I should go for?

Comments

• I've got the 35mm SKS Bluemels on my commuter bike and they fit 28mm Duranos with no problems.
  • I would like to fit the biggest possible tyres with mudguards on a Triban 540 and I've read that the max tyre size with mudguards for the triban 540 is 28mm.

At the moment there's a sale on Chainreaction cycles and some of the SKS Mudguards I've looked at seem to be 35mm wide for 20-28mm tyres or 45mm wide for 28-37mm. While the LifeLine brand mudguards I've looked at are either 38mm wide for 18-25mm tyres or 42mm for 28-32mm tyres.

So the small LifeLine mudguards seem to be wider than the small SKS muguards but take smaller tyres!? Out of those options three can take 28mm tyres but the mudguards themselves vary from 35mm to 45mm wide. Should any mudguards designed for 28mm tyres work? How do I know which I should go for?

No idea on the details, but:

I've got a 2017 540, fitted with Tortec Full Length Reflector mudguards in 27 to 35C sizing - when I got the bike I was told it could do 28c's with mudgards, or 35cs without.

I really wouldn't go above 28mm tyres with them fitted. I've had 28C GP4000s without a problem, and currently ride on 25C Durano Plus's, but both come up a little big at 100PSI...
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...