Advice on my first multi-day ride

Tcm91
Tcm91 Posts: 5
edited September 2018 in Road beginners
Hey guys,

Next week I'll be staying with family in Bala, North Wales and (weather permitting) plan to do 4 days of road cycling.

I'm in decent shape, commuting to work (1hr round trip) each day, and doing a longer weekend ride (around 5hrs/100km). However, I've never tried multiple long rides on consecutive days.

How would you guys plan these rides? A long day followed by a short day (x2) or 4 medium days (for example).

Is there anything particular you'd do to manage your energy levels or to help recover off the bike?

I'm also renting a bike, so I'm slightly concerned about getting the fit right so I don't have a terrible time or end up with saddle sores on the first day, which, unfortunately, I'm fairly prone to getting.

Really, I'm just keen to hear what your approach would be to get the most out of the 4 days!

Cheers

P.S any route tips out of Bala very welcome!

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I think I'd plan based on the weather. If its nice - do a long ride - crappy - take the day off.

Avoid the main roads - they're awfully busy and no fun. There's a back road behind the lake but its hilly. Everywhere is hilly. We did a route years back from Bala to Vyrnwy and a lap of the lake. It involved the steepest road I can recall.

I hope the bike has low gears for you !
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,145
    Are you doing 4 loops from Bala every day, or are you stopping over at different places each day (camping or B&B?)

Routes - you could make something out of this: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28060216 cut it a bit shorter etc. The A458 seemed VERY busy when we were there the other week, but it might just have been a bad day.
    Or down to Barmouth (last bit on the Mawddach trail) or Porthmadog if you can find a nice route?
  • If you are riding in new locations/terrain then don't get too hung up on distance, look for quality over quantity.
    Plan a short loop for the first day and if it works out OK do it in reverse later in the day.
    Also if you suffer from saddle sores or chaffing then take 4 sets of kit, or make sure you have clean dry shorts for every ride.
  • Basing the rides around the weather is a good shout. And guess what... It's currently forecast rain for all four days (FML). I'm sure I'll still make the best of it. Got some beautiful looking rides planned out. Including one to Barmouth, so cheers!
  • Not sure how well you know that part of Wales but as well as being hilly, it's quite easy to find yourself in the middle of nowhere so make sure you go out prepared with the right kit to keep you fueled, warm and sort out any mechanicals that might occur. Other than that, there are some great roads and stunning scenery so take your time and enjoy! The view of barmouth bay from the top of the hills can be spectacular on a good day.