Sram guide r sticking rear

foo606
foo606 Posts: 113
edited September 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi again chaps .Well nothing ever seems to go right on my new build .
Brand new guide r front and rear brakes fitted today .But the rear caliper keeps sticking on slightly .Ive had the wheel spinning freely and the brake worked fine .But now its slightly sticking on .
There are no kinks in the hydraulic line as they are fittid below the main tube and above the chain stay tubec.
The brake lever freels really solid compared to the front lever which is slightly spongy till bedded in .
Ive installed as per Sram instructions .
Is it a case of it needs bedding in or is there a problem with the caliper ?
Any advice would be helpful .

Comments

• slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    I had similar issues when I fitted my guide r’s although they were second hand...

I found by removing the wheel and then engaging the breaks, then parting the breaks with the pad tool then repeating a handful of times. I believe this ensure that the fluid is helping the calipers move freely.

I am assuming you’ve checked the alignment of the calipers with the actual discs themselves to make sure they are central?

If not, a good way of doing that is loosen the calipers bolts a quarter turn and then spin the wheel, engage the break and that should put the calipers in eh right position. Then tighten it up.

I do this as a general maintenance process when I feel the brakes might not be functioning so well.
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)
  • foo606
    Yes I have made sure they are centred by doing the exact same. thing .I have after some work on the brakes managed to get the wheel free rolling and the lever moving better.Just kept pulling the brake lever and braking on and off till it started feeling normal .
    Oddly it was the rear as the front was fine .
    may improve more once I start riding .
    I like the El Chulo its a great frame .Gears this month and then
    Dropper post next .
    Then were ready to attack some trails .
  • foo606
    Found the answer to the sticking on of the rear caliper .The culprit was the OE fitted pads .
    Changed them out for Noah and Theo ceramic pads perfect no more sticking on .
    And had rear set out loads of times still stuck on .But not any more .Why I dont know ..