New Canyon bike

Ward_g
Ward_g Posts: 3
edited September 2018 in Road buying advice
I'm planning to buy a new Canyon bike. And would like to have some advise which model and size to buy.
The ENDURACE CF SL DISC 8.0 and the ULTIMATE CF SL DISC 8.0 are the options at the moment. I think the Endurace is the best pick for me, i'm not that flexible. But I read that the Ultimate is also comfortable for not that flexible persons. What are your thoughts or experiences?

About the framesize. The "Canyon PPS" says I have to pick a XL. But I did a bikefit and they advised me to pick the 2XL.
I'm 6'3" long. But apparently I have a long trunk and long arms. Because of that the 2XL advice. Which pick is the best?

Comments

• kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    What do you ride currently ?

Get the top tube, stack and reach measurements of your current bike - then compare with the canyon bikes. - and the canyon tool.
  • Currently I have a Rose bike. But the bikefitter has determined that the Rose is way too short. So I have to start from scratch.
    The bike fitter proposed a top tube lenght of 62cm.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Ward_g wrote:
    Currently I have a Rose bike. But the bikefitter has determined that the Rose is way too short. So I have to start from scratch.
    The bike fitter proposed a top tube lenght of 62cm.

OK (assuming the fitter is correct) - look at the top tube measurements of the canyon bikes - is there one close ?

The the stack and head tube measurements will affect the height of the bike - so how low do you (or your fitter) envisage that you want to be be.

As suggestion, and with winter approaching, why don't u buy a cheaper bike, maybe used - along the sizes your fitter suggests - ride it for a few months

The canyon bikes you aspire to are around £2.5k - thats a big wedge to drop if you aren't confident of getting the right size.

Out of interest what is the TT measurement on your current bike ?
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    One thing I noticed with the Canyon tool is that it only takes account of height. It asks for loads of measurements but nothing else makes a difference. For the record it advised me to get an XS, I now ride a perfectly fitting Small as I was right on the limit at 5' 8" and looked at the frame size against my old Defy.

One other thing is that the Endurace is fairly racy compared to a lot of endurance bikes. It certainly feels lower and more stretched out than the Defy. Light as a feather too - just over 7kg with discs so can't imagine needing any faster bike this side of racing.
  • I have an ultimate cf sl disc and I am so pleased I went for this over the endurace, depending on size and setup you can get the ultimate to within 1cm of an endurace and the same other way round.

Ultimate is really an all round bike, you can do a tt, climb, or put big tyres on and do endurance.

Im 5 10.5 So was in between medium and small, went for small with longer cockpit so it was a bit more nimble and racier.
  • ovi
    ovi Posts: 396
    https://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13091125&p=20327840#p20327840 this guy is about your height with an xl frame

https://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13089829&p=20303032#p20303032

If it was me I would be getting an XL frame and if needed you could swap the stem for 140mm.
    Im an inch taller than you and 62cm top tube would be too big. I have both 58cm and 60cm bikes.

also Steve Cummings is 6'3" and his cervelo is a 56cm with 140mm stem... from GCN show.
  • The advice I got from Canyon was that if you are on the borderline between 2 of their sizes, then get the smaller of the two. Worked for me.