NHS heart age questionaire (idiocy)

2»

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I came in halfway through a Radio 4 piece about somewhere Nordic or maybe Icelandic where they prescribe stuff like swimming lessons or keep fit, but you also get a minder on your case if you don't go. An actual person comes round to your house and gives you a hard time.

That would be popular with Daily Mail readers!
  • Put it this way, I've stopped paying for a gym membership because I found out that despite a fee drop it was still at least £7 a month more expensive than the next expensive gym in the area and we'd been overpaying for years. It's often a rip off. If it cost me little or nothing I'd be more than happy using it energy /whenever I could.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    More Or Less on R4 last week demolished this online test as a waste of space and useless without further questions on diet, exercise, medical history etc. Much like the previous week when they absolutely slaughtered that week's ridiculous news release that there's no safe limit for alcohol consumption, and it turns out that actually that claim is also just tosh. Surprise surprise. Seems like facts get in the way of a good headline these days.

It’ll be on the iPlayer still, both of them.
  • I'm sure more or less are right too! Get another statistician in the room and he/she will probably tear more or less apart too.

The truth about these messages are to try and improve your lifestyle, look after yourself a bit better to cost the nhs less. It's cost effective if you scare enough people to make even modest lifestyle improvements to create these public service information stories. So you're not a heart age of 52 when you're 45 and a keen cyclist, but I bet you're lifestyle could be improved further. Sugar in your coffee / tea? Saturated fats in your post ride biscuit reward I mean recovery food? All those commuting junk miles when you could apply a bit of training savvy and get more out of them? Whatever it is there's something.

In my case alcohol is a rare thing in my diet anyway. Cheese isn't so over improvement for me right there If I wanted to. I don't BTW. I live my life and I'll die when it's my time. In between it's my choice what I do (within acceptable social norms of course).
  • CiB wrote:
    More Or Less on R4 last week demolished this online test as a waste of space and useless without further questions on diet, exercise, medical history etc.
    And that's the whole point of such pop quizes, to stimulate a conversation with your GP around further diagnoses if required.

Why can't people see that such pop quizes aren't diagnostic tools? Maybe they're actually IQ tests to pick out the stupids who think they are.