Violin

2»

Comments

• Robert88 wrote:
    Isn't the bow very important? Carbon fibre is probably where it's at.

just don't get it wet

#flaccid
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Pep wrote:
    We bought a violin online for 85 euro. We'll see what comnes out of it.
    Yesterday the child had the first lesson, trial lesson, all went well.
    By the way, about expensive violin supposedly making better sound than cheap ones, here my story:
    when I met the teacher I asked her indeed this question: what's the difference between expensive and cheap instruments? She was happy to give me a real demo: she played for a few sec a violin worthed ca 10-15k . Next she played the same piece on a much less expensive one. Never mind she sounded to me a very great player. She looked at me straigth into the eyes proud, smiled, and told me: "you see, completely different sound" .

They sounded absolutely identical to me :shock:
    there may be a different sound, but which is better is?
    Anyway, playability is nothing to do with sound and much more important for any instrument. How well does it stay in tune, is the neck true, etc.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I don't play stringed - wind & piano for me ... (although you could say piano is stringed - it doesn't come under that - especially my digital one!)

The more expensive the instrument (generally) the better the playing, the better the sound, the better the intonation. It's the same across the board (pretty much) - the instruments you learn on are OK - but may missout some of the technical elements that make the more complex techniques possible - look at the sax & flute - the way the keys press, the point at which the pads cover the holes, the shape of the mouth pieces (more so on the flute) make huge differences to the playability & sound of the instrument - a cheap one is fine to learn the basics on - but once you pass a point, you're going to want something that plays better - it's a bit like going into a supermarket and buying a bike - yes, it'll work - you'll turn the pedals and the bike will (usually) go forwards - it may even have gears - so you can ride a bike - but compare that to even an entry level branded bike and there will be a notable difference - let alone going up to the higher ranges and upgraded wheelsets....

For the untrained, noticing the differences between kit is very difficult - even when they're pointed out it can be hard to tell - some differences are very subjective - others less so.

I'll stick to my original suggestion that first timers should rent a student instrument for at least a term - because not all instruments are for everyone and it's a good way to get a reasonable instrument without the outlay - you can trade up for something better should the student want to continue. Buying an instrument isn't wrong - it's just a gamble on the outcome.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Buy them a guitar instead. At least then you won’t have to listen to endless screeching practice sessions. Also I suspect the child might be more likely to continue with the guitar into later life and IMHO, it’s a far nicer instrument to play and, indeed, listen to.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • ayjaycee wrote:
    Buy them a guitar instead. At least then you won’t have to listen to endless screeching practice sessions. Also I suspect the child might be more likely to continue with the guitar into later life and IMHO, it’s a far nicer instrument to play and, indeed, listen to.
    Nigel Kennedy vs Jimi Hendrix.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    ayjaycee wrote:
    Nigel Kennedy vs Jimi Hendrix.
    I doubt I'd even pick Nigel Kennedy over Jimmy Cranky. I'm not even sure whether she / he actually plays any instrument but I loathe 'classical music' of any description (and NK always seems to me to be a right tosser whenever I've seen him talk on TV).
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,395
    We started with a cheapie for junior, then bought a reasonable one and rent a good one now she's done grade 8, as I'm not spending four figure sums on a musical instrument.. Especially as I can't really tell the difference, like some other people on here.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    We started with a cheapie for junior, then bought a reasonable one and rent a good one now she's done grade 8, as I'm not spending four figure sums on a musical instrument.. Especially as I can't really tell the difference, like some other people on here.
    By the time you earn enough for high end audio you're too old to hear the difference.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    By the time you earn enough for high end audio you're too old to hear the difference.
    Never wanted it so not a problem for me.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,042
    @Pep

If you are in Gloucestershire by any faint chance, send me a Private Message.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    Pinno wrote:
    @Pep

Are you a violin teacher? Cool!
    Actually I live in Germany.
  • Stevo_666
    Pep wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    @Pep

:D

He's not a violin teacher but he does make a few a few people in Bottom Bracket screech :)
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,042
    Pep wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    @Pep

No, I have a friend who runs a stringed instrument shop in that area.
    He rents smaller violins out for the very reasons you stated.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!