Finding your way when your sat nav out of power

ageis
ageis Posts: 49
edited September 2018 in MTB beginners
Hi

Yesterday I went to hayfield for some mtb but my mistake was I forgotten my phone mount and power bank.
Due to not having my mount, it caused me to make several navigational errors which cost me in time and battery power. Not to mention some of the route was a little unclear if I had right of way.

for example I wouldn't of expected a part of it to run through a horse stable. I thought I was tresspassing on private property!! Luckily the owners were super nice they even offered me a lift back to the trail head which I needed. My legs were SCREAMING STOP STEVEN.

Ok so lets say my battery about to run out, is it possible to use a compass and map to navigate the rest of the way?

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    ageis wrote:
    Ok so lets say my battery about to run out, is it possible to use a compass and map to navigate the rest of the way?

You mean like people did before GPS and SatNav was invented? Of course it is, as long as you know how to read a map and use a compass.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Due to the proliferation of GPS based navigation aids, magnetic North has fallen into disrepair so it is highly unlikely that compasses will work reliably or at all in some regions, particularly in the UK due to its North south orientation. Government budgets to blame.

Nevertheless the sun can still be use providing it is daytime and not cloudy and you have a watch.

BTW as you know moss always grows on the North side so as long as you carry a mossy branch with you, you should be fine as long as moisten it regularly . It becomes useless once dried out. A small twig of about 6 inches cable tied to the bat's works for me.

So best to ensure that your battery is charged and carry a back up.
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    edited September 2018
    02GF74 wrote:
    Due to the proliferation of GPS based navigation aids, magnetic North has fallen into disrepair so it is highly unlikely that compasses will work reliably or at all in some regions, particularly in the UK due to its North south orientation. Government budgets to blame.

Nevertheless the sun can still be use providing it is daytime and not cloudy and you have a watch.

BTW as you know moss always grows on the North side so as long as you carry a mossy branch with you, you should be fine as long as moisten it regularly . It becomes useless once dried out. A small twig of about 6 inches cable tied to the bat's works for me.

So best to ensure that your battery is charged and carry a back up.

LOL - I wondered what had happened to MN. Have the cut-backs extended to the stars? I was trying to navigate using the Pole Star recently and it looked like they were using energy saving bulbs. I'm also sure someone had moved/stolen/sold off the Big Dipper, probably to a Russian Oligarch.

I tried carrying a rock with moss on it but it was really heavy and I got tired. I'll try a stick next time (thanks for the top tip on keeping it moist).

I think that there were once navigational aids called - signposts? Possibly not in use anymore. I was also once told about something called `a sense of direction`. This has also apparently been eroded by lack of use and interference from GPS satellites.

We are taking the preverbial mickey, but for the OP - you should never rely solely on GPS to get you from A to B, especially if you are unfamiliar with a route. Just a vague awareness of where you are or direction of travel would help.

Were you riding solo? In that case, you could get hurt, not know where you are and probably even be unable to actually summon help due to flat batteries etc. You should also never assume that phones will work 100% when in the wilderness. I know you didn't intend for your little detour(s), but you should really have a back-up.

Fortunately, a new invention has recently been created. It's called a MAP. You can buy one here (buying a compass is optional):

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/shop/e ... -area.html

This new technology does not need batteries, a GPS signal, a mossy branch/rock or a degree in Astro-navigation. Even if you can't use the map to complete the route, you can use it to get to a main road, pub or chip shop.

I recommend you get one and make sure your pre-ride check list includes the GPS mount, powerpack and a MAP.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • google "How to navigate with map and compass" and go from there.

It is easier than they make it look.

But Billy Cool is correct. If you get lost alone in some parts of this country and then break a leg or worse, YOU COULD DIE before anyone finds you. So something else you should do before setting off is to tell someone where you are planning to go and the route you intend, expected time of return etc

You may laugh at such caution, but I was up in the Peak District with some mates in February one year. The wind driven rain was shrieking across the moors at the top. It was not melting the snow, so it was very close to freezing. One of our number had a mechanical and so we all ground to a halt. I went and hid in a wet shallow depression to get out of the wind. As I lay there (on top of my bike to keep out of the wet), I clearly remember thinking " break a leg up here on your own and you will die". :shock:

We all laughed about it when we got back and were in the cafe having a brew. But that's blokes for you. :)
  • It pays to study maps of an area, certain landmarks /valleys /hills /any notable geographic things so you have a good idea of the route in your mind rather than relying on GPS and going blind of you get a battery failure etc.

If you're really going into the middle of nowhere then a paper map and a compass and knowing how to use them is essential.

Also I wouldn't be worrying about rights of way at all of you do end up properly lost.. You want to be taking the easiest route back to where you can get assistance.
  • I always carry an OS map and a compass. Technology can suck sometimes, OS maps are always good.
  • Bing maps on the internet has an ordnance survey option. I use this to plan routes and print out to take with me.
  • ageis wrote:
    Hi

Yesterday I went to hayfield for some mtb but my mistake was I forgotten my phone mount and power bank.
    Due to not having my mount, it caused me to make several navigational errors which cost me in time and battery power. Not to mention some of the route was a little unclear if I had right of way.

for example I wouldn't of expected a part of it to run through a horse stable. I thought I was tresspassing on private property!! Luckily the owners were super nice they even offered me a lift back to the trail head which I needed. My legs were SCREAMING STOP STEVEN.

Of course it is. Just make sure you CAN navigate with a map and compass. Also, cycle in Scotland and there's no trespass laws to worry about...
  • Or just ride with someone who knows we're there going. The break a leg and you'll die thing in winter applies even in Suffolk.

So fit stabilisers if your out on your own.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    It's lk about thinking ahead and planning.

Frstly figure out how long you will be out and ensure that the batteries last at least as much as that. Best have them fully charged with a spare set or two.

I use satmap device and only recently bought duracell batteries, having previously used cheap Chinese aa. Despite the duracell having lower capacity than the Chinese aa, they last much longer, I've not run out yet but would have with the Chinese ones. The fact that the duracell weigh more is a clue.

As contingency I print off the route and carry it with me, my watch has in built compass.

Also I try to remember to carry my phone in case of emergency but often there is no signal in the area.

Study the route and think of escape routes namely roads that get you to help quickest.

Interpreting maps is a useful skill, even with GPS aid I find myself lost due paths on the map not existing g.