rotor clipping on break pads?

Dannysgbb
Dannysgbb Posts: 15
edited September 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Ive got a new bike around 3 weeks ago , Its a Saracen Mantra trail 2018 there are Shimano M396 180/160mm Calipers. On the front disk break I sometimes notice a ringing noise usually when im going quite fast but not always. I took it to the bike shop and they said the rotors are perfectly aligned and the fluid is fine. I asked my friend who is quite good with bikes but he said its normal, but i highly doubt that seeing it never happened on my old bike. All help will be much appreciated, Thanks alot :)

Comments

• CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Try this...

Loosen caliper bolts
    Apply brake
    Tighten caliper bolts
    Release brake
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Try that ^^ but sometimes it is best to actually look between the pads and see what is going on - for example is one pad pushing the rotor more than the other when squeezed or the top left touching more ect...
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Look HERE
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • You've already posted about this once and had lots of sensible advice.

You then post again saying that the bike shop and a friend who is good with bikes both says it's fine, but you still don't believe them.

Not sure what else you expect the forum to deliver?

My rotors `sing` occasionally. It's usually a very slight contact between rotor and pads and could be in bad weather and/or when the rotors/pads get hot something expands a little, the fluid pushes the piston out a small amount and/or the rotors get ever so slightly warped/expanded when warm.

This makes no difference to the braking characteristics of the bike and I don't worry about it. It's usually a reassuring sign that I'm riding quite hard/fast or the weather is sh!te.

If you're that disatisified with the bike and advice you have got, maybe change the rotors/brakes and see if that solves it (see if someone has a spare set you can try?)

I'm afraid that other than that, you're asking the same question, getting the same replies and you're still not happy.

Hope you get to solve it. Please do share the solution, if you find one.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Dannysgbb wrote:
    I I asked my friend who is quite good with bikes but he said its normal, but i highly doubt that seeing it never happened on my old bike. All help will be much appreciated, Thanks alot :)

For 'normal' read 'common'.

EOT.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    cooldad wrote:
    Dannysgbb wrote:
    I I asked my friend who is quite good with bikes but he said its normal, but i highly doubt that seeing it never happened on my old bike. All help will be much appreciated, Thanks alot :)

EOT.

Yes it's common but it should be possible to fix.... So not normal. .
    First the disc has to run true, to within 0.5 mm. Discs can be gently bent into shape.

Next the calliper needs to be centred. Initial setting is as above but it may be necessary to tweak by hand, undo one bolt and move calliper so no contact with disc.

Note the when tightening up the bolts, the calliper may move so this may take a few attempts.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    02GF74 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Dannysgbb wrote:

EOT.

Yes it's common but it should be possible to fix.... So not normal. .
    First the disc has to run true, to within 0.5 mm. Discs can be gently bent into shape.

Next the calliper needs to be centred. Initial setting is as above but it may be necessary to tweak by hand, undo one bolt and move calliper so no contact with disc.

Note the when tightening up the bolts, the calliper may move so this may take a few attempts.

Yeah but he's already asked it here and had answers.

viewtopic.php?f=10004&t=13095328&p=20409409#p20409409

As JBA said upthread.

And what Billycool said.

Guy asks for advice but knows better than everyone. So no idea why he bothered in the first place.

EOT.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools