Cannondale Supersix Evo Ultegra a good begiinners bike?

Santroy79
Santroy79 Posts: 6
edited September 2018 in Road beginners
Hello, I’m really new to road riding. When I was young I used to ride my brothers old style road bike everywhere and enjoyed it. That was 30 years ago. I did get a mountain bike in my late 20’s and used to ride that for about 5 years. I ended up having kids and to be honest I got lazy. Not the whole time I used to run/jog for years. But these last 5 years I got lazy and really out of shape.

I started to try and jog again but my age and weight it’s been painful on my joints. Why I’m turning to getting into road biking.

Which gets me to my question. I might be a little late in asking this but I just got the Cannondale supersix evol Ultegra . I purchased off eBay. It will ship out on Tuesday. The year is a 2015. I think price wise I got a real good deal. But I started reading and I read the Cannondale Synpse is the better direction to go for comfort and someone maybe over weight.

Just wondering if anyone out there can give me an opinion on if the bike itself is good and then if I made the right choice getting a pure race bike when I’m new to the sport, I’m 47 and overweight some?

Thank you

Comments

• It's an amazing bike but it depends how flexible you are and how much you weigh.

If you're not so flexible it may be uncomfortable as you are leaning too far forwards. Other comfort comes from tyre pressure and tyre width.

If you're too heavy the wheels which come with it may not last that long as it would stress the spokes which may break.

That said, with some riding, weight loss and yoga/stretching it could well be all the bike you ever need.
  • if you fit it its bloody brilliant and yes, perfect for anyone from novice to pro who fits it.

anyone who says otherwise is lying

#coolbike
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • It's an amazing bike but it depends how flexible you are and how much you weigh.

If you're not so flexible it may be uncomfortable as you are leaning too far forwards. Other comfort comes from tyre pressure and tyre width.

If you're too heavy the wheels which come with it may not last that long as it would stress the spokes which may break.

That said, with some riding, weight loss and yoga/stretching it could well be all the bike you ever need.
    :?

Assuming you get a decent position (which is an entirely different question), the supersix is just a bike. Nice and stiff, handles well. Quite comforable in the grand scheme of things. Not sure anyone will agree with the comment about the wheels. If it is a stock bike it will either be sold with wheels that don't have a specified max weight, or with one so high that anyone cabable of riding a bike won't be troubled.

Shirley B, there's nothing in the post to suggest that the OP needs to take the wall of his house down to get out, just that he's at least 50 and doesn't want to jog any more, which is fairly sensible.
  • Hence it depends, right?
  • Agree with MF - most of those middle aged cyclists you see so many of these days are none too flexible but manage ok on "race" bikes.

Give it a while to get used to the position, it'll probably feel very head down initially if you've not ridden for a while but you'll almost certainly get used to it you are only 47 just coming into your prime!
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]

• That said, with some riding, weight loss and yoga/stretching it could well be all the bike you ever need.

Ever thought of a career as a salesman in a bike shop?
  • Well seeing as the chap has already bought it, no sale required ;)

• That said, with some riding, weight loss and yoga/stretching it could well be all the bike you ever need.

Ever thought of a career as a salesman in a bike shop?

SB generally knows what he is talking about so has no possibility at all of ever succeeding in a bike shop

#poorcareerchoice
    #selltheMAMILthePinarello
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Supersix will be fine, I can see why you might go for a synapse instead but realistically with the right amount of stem spacers and length of stem you'll be comfortable. Not sure what the max tyre width on the 2015 supersix is but as wide tyres as you can get and lower pressures will help but I didn't find my supersix especially harsh over all

As I have mentioned elsewhere, my GF rode the NC500 as a total novice on my supersix and her issues weren't with the bike...
  • HaydenM wrote:
    Supersix will be fine, I can see why you might go for a synapse instead but realistically with the right amount of stem spacers and length of stem you'll be comfortable. Not sure what the max tyre width on the 2015 supersix is but as wide tyres as you can get and lower pressures will help but I didn't find my supersix especially harsh over all

As I have mentioned elsewhere, my GF rode the NC500 as a total novice on my supersix and her issues weren't with the bike...

Ive got a hi mod version, very nice. the max width of tyres is 25mm unless you live in an area with zero road muck. Funnily 303 rims with 25mm contis have more room around them than the same tyre on a narrower c24 rim,

Im also a bit of a porker and on the older side of things these days and i find it very comfortable though that of course would vary from person to person.
    Not really, no. It is relatively unlikely that the wheels will fall apart. So it "depends" in the same was as you "might" get hit by a falling aeroplane engine whilst sleeping tonight. More or less.
  • Thank you for your replies.

I wouldn't say I'm massive over weight but I'm a pretty big guy in general even when in shape. I'm 6' 2" and now weigh around 270lbs.

on the ad seller says they are Gatorskin tires

"58cm carbon fiber frame & fork. Ultegra set, Fi'zi:k Aliante Carbon Twin Flex K:ium Bicycle Saddle, Easton ec90 Seatpost, Cannondale C2 stem, Gatorskin tires"
  • Max tyre width is 25c on these, and even then can be a bit tight. But a good option for us heavier riders.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
    Not really, no. It is relatively unlikely that the wheels will fall apart. So it "depends" in the same was as you "might" get hit by a falling aeroplane engine whilst sleeping tonight. More or less.

Unflexible people often complain of fitment, back, backside and hand pain and issues on unsuitable bikes.

Some overweight people have issues with spokes breaking on cheaper wheels. The OP weights 120kg. I would say that is prime breaking weight for insufficiently built wheels.

That said, the bike is a great spec and wheels are easily swappable for something durable.
  • 120kgs, what's that...20 stone give or take, about average weight nowadays.

Unflexible people often complain of fitment, back, backside and hand pain and issues on unsuitable bikes.

Some overweight people have issues with spokes breaking on cheaper wheels. The OP weights 120kg. I would say that is prime breaking weight for insufficiently built wheels.

That said, the bike is a great spec and wheels are easily swappable for something durable.
    He's much more likely to get pinch flats. How come you didn't recommend sealant in the tubes, or getting some tubeless wheels? The steerer tube and bars are more likely to snap and cause instant death too. But you wouldn't want to put the guy off.
  • Because people who are very heavy come on the forum to complain about broken spokes.

Don't get many complaints of death as when you're gone, you're gone.

He's much more likely to get pinch flats. How come you didn't recommend sealant in the tubes, or getting some tubeless wheels? The steerer tube and bars are more likely to snap and cause instant death too. But you wouldn't want to put the guy off.

wait, is this for real? the bike might snap while I'm riding it? I don't really want to die right now
  • Hahaha no. He's teasing me.

Just make sure the wheels are sufficiently robust for your weight so you don't encounter problems down the line - you didn't mention what they are in your post above.

The use of wider tyres and slighly lower pressures can increase comfort and reduce the risk of pinch flats (basically where you ride full pelt into a pothole and it causes the inner tube to get pinched, and causes a puncture). The frame will dictate how wide your tyres will go, but it looks like 25mm from the replies above.
  • Supersix is perfect for you. Don't worry about being too heavy, stop eating and put some long rides in, add 10% to your distance every week and you'll soon be down to 150lbs.
  • Because people who are very heavy come on the forum to complain about broken spokes.

People come on the forum and complain about all sorts of things. Like quick links, for example.
  • Hahaha no. He's teasing me.

Just make sure the wheels are sufficiently robust for your weight so you don't encounter problems down the line - you didn't mention what they are in your post above.

The use of wider tyres and slighly lower pressures can increase comfort and reduce the risk of pinch flats (basically where you ride full pelt into a pothole and it causes the inner tube to get pinched, and causes a puncture). The frame will dictate how wide your tyres will go, but it looks like 25mm from the replies above.

seller says they are Gatorskin tires. Doesn't really provide any more info then that. I would attach a pic but not sure how. I counted the spokes looks like 20
  • skooter
    skooter Posts: 264
    Well i'm 67 in October and just getting over a broken hip and I still ride a race bike.

People come on the forum and complain about all sorts of things. Like quick links, for example.

and Merlin :)