giant tcr
propel
merida reacto 5000
ribble sr

share ur opinions

Comments

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    If you buy the "wrong" bike then it can cost you a lot of money in the long run.
    No-one can give you the right advice over the internet.
    Go to a reputable, local bike shop (or two) and as for their advice.
  • Just bear in mind that as this is your first bike ever, you may not want to spend too much money on it. There’s nothing worse than ending up moving an expensive bike with a dust pan and brush. You can get some great bikes, with good levels of kit, for non eye watering sums of money. Go and speak to someone at a reputable bike shop, and get a bike fitting done, once you’ve decided, it’s the best money you can spend when starting out, in my opinion.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Hello can someone advice me by buying a first ever bicycle? my picks were
    giant tcr
    propel
    merida reacto 5000
    ribble sr

share ur opinions

Those all appear to be bicycles. Probably. So should do the job.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    ....and we wonder why new members never come back :roll:
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Flying in the face of all sensible advice to buy a cheap starter bike from an LBS, this is surely the best first road bike (assuming you can get lucky with sizing and can pick up from Cycle Republic rather than Halfords):

https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/pro ... -grey.html

Lovely bike in it's own right and then put full mudguards on to use as a winter bike when you get the bug and buy a "best bike".

Still £1k I suppose although bound to be £800 in the sales and then knock off 10% BC discount.
  • cooldad
    CitizenLee wrote:

I feel terrible.

To the OP - buy a mountain bike and ignore rude roadies.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • kingdav
    kingdav Posts: 417
    I would (& did) try and pick something up cheap first time around, I went with a used Specialized Allez at £200 from a cycle forum classified ad that happened to be local and in my size. Riding that for a few months gave me a great reference point on what to look at when I spent the real money on Italian carbon. There are so many trade offs and compromises you make in choosing a bike, it's useful to have an idea on where you stand.

Some bikes have an unforgiving, racy, stiff, direct feel - this is important to some and painful for others who want a more comfy upright geometry, wider tyres etc. Once you know what kind of bike you want in that respect, you still might need to choose between a lightweight climber or something more aero. Then look at different materials, high-end aluminium and more mid-range carbon bikes are probably a similar price, titanium and steel are more left-field but still popular options. Trying one out gives you a bit of a chance to get your bearings.

I still have my cheap first bike and ride it quite a lot even though I've bought another three since, they all have their uses. The point of going cheap first time is not so important I guess, you can buy an expensive toy straight away, but you may run the risk of getting something that doesn't really suit you can only be sold for a fraction of the new cost.
  • CitizenLee wrote:

Because their first posts are incoherent and lack clarity and are easily offended when people don't post helpful replies?

What a loss.
  • CitizenLee
    cooldad wrote:
    CitizenLee wrote:

I feel terrible.

To the OP - buy a mountain bike and ignore rude roadies.

I wasn't trying to a make you feel bad I as know you're too cantankerous to care.

Craigus89 wrote:
    CitizenLee wrote:

Because their first posts are incoherent and lack clarity and are easily offended when people don't post helpful replies?

What a loss.

(Generalising) perhaps English isn't their first language, or maybe they're not familiar with the right terms used in the cycling world... you know, being new to cycling, hence posting for help?

As for being offended, I doubt many people would expect the level of sh!t they get when signing up for a forum and asking for advice.

It's fine though, this place has been an elitist man-baby cicrle-jerk for years now anyway... so why change?
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • (assuming you can get lucky with sizing and can pick up from Cycle Republic and not Halfords

t.

what utter bulshit. ignore

boardmans are excelkent value for money and really good bikes. if you can get the size spec & colour you want it doesn't matter if you buy it from halfords, cycle republic or the last remaining chuckle brother. rubbish mechanics can be anywhere and the same applies to good mechanics, so overall caveat emptor

#ignoretheclubsnobs
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • CitizenLee wrote:
    (Generalising) perhaps English isn't their first language, or maybe they're not familiar with the right terms used in the cycling world... you know, being new to cycling, hence posting for help?

As for being offended, I doubt many people would expect the level of sh!t they get when signing up for a forum and asking for advice.

It's fine though, this place has been an elitist man-baby cicrle-jerk for years now anyway... so why change?

You're still here though so you obviously like a good circle-jerk?

A lack of context and explanation isn't a language issue. People usually don't want to take the time to reply with 9 paragraphs of explanation about the pros and cons of 4 different bikes with no idea of the intended use and how much of that information is already known by the op.

Crap opening post, crap responses is the pattern on pretty much any forum.
  • CitizenLee
    Craigus89 wrote:
    CitizenLee wrote:

A lack of context and explanation isn't a language issue. People usually don't want to take the time to reply with 9 paragraphs of explanation about the pros and cons of 4 different bikes with no idea of the intended use and how much of that information is already known by the op.

Only if there's a biscuit :wink:

I get what you're saying, but it only takes a moment to ask them to elaborate or just move on and let a thread die if it's that bad.

Compared to other biking forums, STW or MBR for example, this place is definitely much more snobbish, salty and hostile. Maybe it is the roadies like Cooldad says :P
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Craigus89 wrote:
    CitizenLee wrote:

I get what you're saying, but it only takes a moment to ask them to elaborate or just move on and let a thread die if it's that bad.

Compared to other biking forums, STW or MBR for example, this place is definitely much more snobbish, salty and hostile. Maybe it is the roadies like Cooldad says :P

It seems from this and another thread in Road General that you're not particularly happy with the general tone on Bike Radar and the apparent absence of moderation. Maybe you could start a forum of your own and moderate it how you see fit?
  • CitizenLee
    Shortfall wrote:
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Craigus89 wrote:
    CitizenLee wrote:

It seems from this and another thread in Road General that you're not particularly happy with the general tone on Bike Radar and the apparent absence of moderation. Maybe you could start a forum of your own and moderate it how you see fit?

It has its good days and bad days, and certain sections of the forum are better than others.

I've ran and moderated forums in the past and it's far too much effort.

Thanks for the concern though ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • shortfall
    I've ran and moderated forums in the past and it's far too much effort.

Quite. So it's probably best to just accept BR is probably not that bad in the grand scheme of things. If the OP is so thin skinned that he disappears because of some the replies above then it's his loss. If he's got anything about him he'll actually think about what it is he wants to know and come back and rephrase his question (s) to get the responses he wants.
  • BR is fine.

But the OP could clarify just a teensy bit. First bicycle ever? Seems unlikely. First (road, race, expensive) bicycle would seem more likely.
  • (assuming you can get lucky with sizing and can pick up from Cycle Republic and not Halfords

t.

what utter bulshit. ignore

boardmans are excelkent value for money and really good bikes. if you can get the size spec & colour you want it doesn't matter if you buy it from halfords, cycle republic or the last remaining chuckle brother. rubbish mechanics can be anywhere and the same applies to good mechanics, so overall caveat emptor

#ignoretheclubsnobs

Not really sure what your dispute is. Boardman's are brilliant value, that's why I recommended them.

I meant "lucky by sizing" as in the OP hasn't got a bike already and isn't going to be dialed into what reach and stack he needs so there is a danger he might not get it spot on. The rest of us often struggle between sizes. Spending £1k straight away does have risk.

Cycle Republic just sell bikes and the ones I've been in do seem to have reasonable staff. Of course you get outliers anywhere but all things being equal the odds are in your favour there compared to Halfords.
  • basicly something went to my mind few months ago that i need to get a road bike
    spent sleepless nights on taobao to get the most economical carbon bike.
    mans got a job right now so its not an issue to drop some money on a hq bike
    my only expirence was month ago when i was able to ride merida 2k€ bike for few mins, i rented it but owner said i need to wear helmet cuz he said he did big crashes at 3kmph while i just ignored him did like 200meters back and he saw me without helmet got hella aggrseive mad and took it back. spent max twelve mins on it including him changings pedals from those bike shoes ones to normal and resolving saddle for my height
    it was very very sad day cuz i was vey very excited to drive on a light as feather bike with those beautiful curvy handle bars, like havin sex for the first time again. yes im a lil bit ignorant person but i felt like a god on that bike. he was a expirenced driver and he said to me thah i need to drop 2k if i wanna a quality bike
    thats why i created this topic
  • shortfall
    FFS!
  • cooldad
    I'd buy a cheap bike and spend the rest on blow and hookers.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Craigus89 wrote:
    CitizenLee wrote:

What a loss.

My second post and I don't have a degree in English lit. So perhaps I should do one. Yet another forum with elitist tossers I see.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    PaulLCFC wrote:
    Craigus89 wrote:
    CitizenLee wrote:

What a loss.

My second post and I don't have a degree in English lit. So perhaps I should do one. Yet another forum with elitist tossers I see.

Nothing 'elitist' about asking for clarity and context. More people should do it...
  • shortfall
    PaulLCFC wrote:
    Craigus89 wrote:
    CitizenLee wrote:

What a loss.

There are some such people on the Bike Radar road cycling forum it is true, however all the OP had to do was say what his intended use and budget was and he would have got a raft of sensible advice. It's clear from his latest post however that he's just wasting all of our time.
  • cooldad wrote:
    I'd buy a cheap bike and spend the rest on blow and hookers.

this. and ketamine. shiiiiit loads of ketamine.

#ketamine.justsayneigh
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • PaulLCFC wrote:
    Craigus89 wrote:
    CitizenLee wrote:

What a loss.

Thanks for making my point. This isn't even your topic?

Bye then.
  • Buy the one you can do the sickest wheelies on.
  • CitizenLee
    Buy the one you can do the sickest wheelies on.

...and huge skids ;)

You'll obviously need disc brakes for that though.

*runs away laughing*
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • u people just haitin on a newbie tryin to get into the game
    i just ordered TCR
    wish me fun n luck
    enjoy riding ur pinnarelos u negative wanna be elitists while ur spouses mad that u spent half a mortage on a bicycle
  • u people just haitin on a newbie tryin to get into the game
    i just ordered TCR
    wish me fun n luck
    enjoy riding ur pinnarelos u negative wanna be elitists while ur spouses mad that u spent half a mortage on a bicycle

Good points, well made.
  • cooldad
    Now spend some money on the missing keyboard buttons.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools