Bowman Pilgrims Disc

shamrock134
shamrock134 Posts: 714
edited June 2019 in Your road bikes
Just finished my first ever bike self-build. A new winter trainer/commuter with hydraulic discs and full guards (still to be fitted). It was a bit scary riding something assembled by me instead of a trained professional but also satisfying to have put it all together.

Frame: Bowman Pilgrims Disc 50cm
Bars: 3T Ergonova 36cm
Stem: Brand-x 120mm
Saddle: Fizik Arione
Seatpost: Fizik Cyrano R5
Groupset: Campagnolo Potenza Hydro Disc, 52/36, 29-11
Pedals: Shimano M520
Wheels: Mason x Hunt 4 Season Disc
Tyres: Lifeline Prime Armour 25mm
Mudguards: PDW Full Metal Black
Accessories: Cinelli Kaleido tape, Elite custom race cages, Cycliq Duo mount, Lezyne Road Drive pump
Weight: 10.1kg fully-loaded (mudguards, Garmin + mount, Fly12 camera, Exposure Blaze, frame pump and tool bottle)

cj7nzvah.jpg

I'll add another shot once the guards are fitted.

Comments

• pnev
    pnev Posts: 236
    edited September 2018
    I like it, looks like you've done a great job building it too... unlike some self builds I've seen!

Initial thoughts on the Potenza Hydros?
  • Pnev wrote:
    I like it, looks like you've done a great job building it too... unless some self builds I've seen!

Initial thoughts on the Potenza Hydros?

Thanks! The hydraulics were a bit fiddly to install but overall it wasn't too bad once you have the required tools. Of course Campag has lots of peculiarities compared to Shimano. :lol:

I opted for Campag Potenza over the cheaper Shimano 105 R7020 because I prefer the shifting ergonomics of Campag. The bike this replaced had Campag Veloce and I'd say they are fairly similar. The shifting is good but definitely a tier down from my other bikes with Record EPS and Chorus. The disc brakes perform as you might expect in the dry. It will be interesting to see how they are on a rainy commute.

So really, I specced it with my heart not my head as Shimano would be cheaper to buy and cheaper to run which is important for a bike that's going to be battered all year round, in all conditions. :oops:
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Very stealthy, love it!

Keen to see how it performs in the wet, although that's not to wish rain on you :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Finally fitted the guards. Maybe some fine tuning required on the positioning but I think they look as good as guards can.

Will weigh again tonight but I think she's a bit of a porker at ~10kg fully-laden.

OJraVop.jpg
  • Cant wait to build mine ...

Any reason why you didnot lean towards getting the wheels from a wheelbuilder ... I want to know how good these Hunt wheels are?
  • Any reason why you didnot lean towards getting the wheels from a wheelbuilder ... I want to know how good these Hunt wheels are?

Do you have any specific examples? I looked at Wheelsmith options but his training wheelset looks slightly more expensive and marginally heavier. Also, is the disc version just the rim-brake version with disc-compatible hub? I'm sure I can take the Hunts to a local wheel-builder for maintenance if I have any problems.

A couple more shots, ready for the commute...

LmaOd81.jpg
    xxS9rOz.jpg
  • Another all black bike. Yawn.

Well, my other bike is bright pink so I thought I'd balance it out. :lol:

Also, this bike isn't supposed to be flashy. It's a practical build and it'd most likely get stolen in London if it stood out too much.
  • For a winter bike I think that looks the absolute nuts!!!! Well done. I love the mud guards.
  • How are you finding this?

I'm so close to building up one of these as a do-it-all, year round bike. I'm a bit confused around how big you can go with tyres though, there seems to be conflicting info floating around.

How do you find it on rough, broken tarmac?

Well, my other bike is bright pink so I thought I'd balance it out. :lol:

Also, this bike isn't supposed to be flashy. It's a practical build and it'd most likely get stolen in London if it stood out too much.

Fair play to you. My comment was somewhat harsh, I've had black bikes in the past. I think thieves are getting more sophisticated and look past the colour scheme. A lot know a good bike when they see one. I sold a black bike to a friend who locked it up in a public rack. She left it there overnight and the next day it was gone. A Cotic Roadrat. I was as gutted as she was, I loved that bike!
  • Colored bar tape always an option?

I am definitely getting old as disc bikes are growing on me and I love a classy set of guards.
  • How do you find it on rough, broken tarmac?

I believe the official line from Bowman is 30mm max with guards. Until today, the ride on Central London's dodgy roads has been fairly standard since I'm only running 25s, however, I've just fitted some tubeless tyres so maybe at a lower pressure things will feel smoother.
    Colored bar tape always an option?

I have very subtly coloured tape which needs re-wrapping actually since I did such a poor job first time. :oops:

lmDGWtO.jpg
    Fair play to you. My comment was somewhat harsh, I've had black bikes in the past. I think thieves are getting more sophisticated and look past the colour scheme.

In addition to worrying about thieves I have the problem of other cyclists that use my office cycle storage bashing their bikes and locks against my frame! :x Another reason why getting something with pretty paint for commuting is a bit of a waste.

Final pic for now, featuring the newly fitted, ridiculously named Hutchinson Fusion5 11Storm All-Season tubeless tyres and blacked out mudguard stays.

DYskeuX.jpg
  • In addition to worrying about thieves I have the problem of other cyclists that use my office cycle storage bashing their bikes and locks against my frame! :x Another reason why getting something with pretty paint for commuting is a bit of a waste.

I have the same problem. I get in early so park my bike in the corner as far away as possible from others. My commuting bike has a brushed alu frame so no paint to chip which is handy. People have no respect for other people's property unfortunately.
  • Hello Mate

Just wondering whether you used a internal housing for the cable wire and also are you using a bottom bracket cable guide..

Many thanks
  • Hello Mate

Just wondering whether you used a internal housing for the cable wire and also are you using a bottom bracket cable guide..

Many thanks

I used Jagwire outers all the way from the shifters, through the frame until the derailleurs. I didn't use the BB guide as the cables don't pass through the BB shell.

I can take photos if that helps.
  • Hello Mate

Many thanks

I used Jagwire outers all the way from the shifters, through the frame until the derailleurs. I didn't use the BB guide as the cables don't pass through the BB shell.

I can take photos if that helps.

Photos please ... Thanks
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    looks quite nice that, you could raise the crank a little to get a better impression of speed.

In the first picture get rid of those weeds, they're a disgrace. in the second lose the clutter it detracts and doesnt look industrial or post modern or any other tosh.

Nod to the consistent placing of valve stems and careful positioning of tyre and wheel logos.

Ditch the lights

8 out of 10 Commendation
  • Saw about 10 different people at the side of the road in Richmond Park fixing punctures last weekend. For now, I can say I'm a tubeless tyre, disc brake and mudguard convert!

HgMTriYh.jpg
  • pnev
    pnev Posts: 236
    That really is the perfect winter bike. Still love the build you've done there
  • shamrock134
    I put some deeper/faster wheels on for the summer commutes. Bax Carbon 50/60 set with GP5000TL.

m9FeSV3.jpg
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    are you going to take the mudguards off?

#summer
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Colored bar tape always an option?

I am definitely getting old as disc bikes are growing on me and I love a classy set of guards.

only if you are a visual cripple

#hideousidea
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • shamrock134
    are you going to take the mudguards off?

#summer

Commuted this morning in the sun. Commuted home in the rain.

The mudguards stay! :lol:
  • loumacari
    loumacari Posts: 19
    That is pimp! Looks better with guards on, in any event. (Of course, entirely unnecessary wheels for commuting but you know that and sensible is boring, right.)