What tools / brands?

steveatbath
steveatbath Posts: 49
edited September 2018 in Workshop
Afternoon

I’ve been riding for a few years now but have always used the LBS for everything that May have happened. I’ve just been working though my garage to create a nice working space and would like to do (be able to do) some of the bike maintenance myself. I have a decent socket set which has loads of bits and bobs in but I wondered what tools I should be either confirming are in there, or buying myself.

Also which brands are worth checking, some seem extremely expensive where as others come in multi packs.

My current kit is a 10 tool multi and 2 x tyre levers

Comments

• Afternoon

I’ve been riding for a few years now but have always used the LBS for everything that May have happened. I’ve just been working though my garage to create a nice working space and would like to do (be able to do) some of the bike maintenance myself. I have a decent socket set which has loads of bits and bobs in but I wondered what tools I should be either confirming are in there, or buying myself.

Also which brands are worth checking, some seem extremely expensive where as others come in multi packs.

My current kit is a 10 tool multi and 2 x tyre levers

Nice thread!
    Brands i use / rate
    Facom Spanners, verniers (good socket sets too)
    Wera Screwdrivers, socket sets torque wrenches
    Beta Tools (sliding t hex very good)
    Park bottom bracket tools hanger alignment, crank extractors etc the scissors are good. as are the cable/housing cutters. Ive got a decent wheel truing / building set up thats park as well.
    knipex pliers
    Halfords (professional range)
    Wheels Manufacturing Bottom bracket press and large bearing press (the bottom bracket and the large press are both long enough for Road head tubes too.
    Sealey punches

Must have tools for most things apart from bottom brackets and wheel bearings etc. i.e. most of the jobs you'll do can be done with these.

Set of Hex keys and Torq keys
    Torque wrench and set of torque / hex key sockets for it
    Cassette tool and chain whip
    scissors
    cable/housing cutter
    hammer

Id just go to halfords and get the lot, good quality and better than bike specific prices. (Get a park cable cuttter though)

the other stuff comes as the jobs and interest require them
  • Some of my favs:

Bondhus t-handle hex keys with ball ends.
    Wera hex keys
    Knipex cutters and pliers
    Park pro cone spanners
    Park cassette tool
    Spokey or Park spoke keys
    Vessel megadora JIS screwdrivers

Buy the best quality tools even if you have to wait and buy them gradually. Crap tools make the job harder.
  • A good set of Allen keys is what I use for 80% of my tinkering. Wera are great, pay a decent amount for Allen keys in my opinion and get the other bits as and when you need them for a specific task.
  • i think we need to do some tool box tours :)
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,446
    I second the advice above - Wera Hex Key set. Pretty colours too. It's what you'll use 90% of the time. Also quality pedal spanner. Seized pedals will wreck a cheap one. Same with cassette lockring tool and BB tool as cheap ones will wreck themselves and the part you are trying to loosen.

Good sturdy bike stand is essential. I have a Park Tool Home Mechanic Repair Stand PCS9. About £80. Great value. Also a X-Tools Mini-Maintenance Stand from Chainreaction for about £10. Really useful for indexing gears when getting out the big bike stand is not worth it and other fiddly jobs and just standing the bike up without leaning it against walls/fences etc.

Useful stuff: Nitrile gloves. Babywipes. Kitchen roll. Lots of rags. A good light source if inside.

Chain lube of your choice. Grease and grease gun. A really strong magnet - useful if servicing loose ball bearing hubs etc.

iPad/Tablet/Phone with bookmarks to Park Tools "how to" videos and guides.

Kettle for tea/coffee or choice

Small fridge to keep cool beers to reward yourself after a job well done.

I'm sure there are other things but I'd consider these the essentials. Especially the beer.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• yes def get a number 2 JIS screwdriver like edward said. you can get JIS screwdrivers from Japan on ebay and youd be surprised how much better the derailleur adjustment scres turn, no more smashing them up :)

+10 for Photo nics beer fridge :)
  • Why do people not do their own maintenance? It's a bicycle ffs not an F1 car so unless you got more money than sense or really don't know one end of a spanner from another then DIY. And get bonus feeling of self satisfaction of doing it.

Note this is not a specific dig at the OP but a generalised opinion, and even if you only have a rudimentary grasp of engineering principles then look it up on youtube, GCN etc. There are a multitude of how-to videos available, plus you can ask on useless forums such as this...
  • One cannot beat a good tool! Keep them coming!
  • Good info guys, pretty handy as it seems I have a lot of the non bike specific tools as part of my big Halfords professional kit. Ill pick up some of the other bits as I go!

Next up is some of the bits in photonic’s post to make it more enjoyable... lights, rags, coffee etc.

I think the idea of tool box tours would be great!
  • Why do people not do their own maintenance? It's a bicycle ffs not an F1 car so unless you got more money than sense or really don't know one end of a spanner from another then DIY. And get bonus feeling of self satisfaction of doing it.

There are loads of reasons why people don’t, I for the most part would rather spend an extra hour with my family than try and fix something I’m not sure of. I can earn a bit more money to pay for it but I can never get my time back. If I can learn bits over time that don’t take much effort then great but if it’s a larger job I’m sure I’ll use continue to use the LBS

There are loads of reasons why people don’t, I for the most part would rather spend an extra hour with my family than try and fix something I’m not sure of. I can earn a bit more money to pay for it but I can never get my time back. If I can learn bits over time that don’t take much effort then great but if it’s a larger job I’m sure I’ll use continue to use the LBS

but but but but to earn the more money you have to work longer so that takes you away from your family and then you have to go to the shop and get home from the shop to book it in and that takes you away from your family and then you have to take it to the shop to get it repaired and pick it up from the shop when its repaired and that takes you away from your family so if you did the work yourself you would be spending more time with your family although have you ever wondered if they want you spending all that time with them?

the MFs think you are scared of the bicycle

#liveinfear
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.

How long does it take to take your bike to the bike shop and back? Then wait for repairs or return at a later time or date?

My time is valuable, i diy stuff. Tonight i stripped my c24 rear hub, 2 5mm hex keys, a rag a magnet and a pick plus a bit of grease and ten poss 15 mins start to finish and all is back together and working properly. I dont think time is a legit reason for most bikeshop trips.

Being uncertain, not having the tools or even enjoying the bike shop trip are all legitimate :)
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    +1 for Beta - I've the sockets, wrench, pliers and allen keys.
    Dave

How long does it take to take your bike to the bike shop and back? Then wait for repairs or return at a later time or date?

My time is valuable, i diy stuff. Tonight i stripped my c24 rear hub, 2 5mm hex keys, a rag a magnet and a pick plus a bit of grease and ten poss 15 mins start to finish and all is back together and working properly. I dont think time is a legit reason for most bikeshop trips.

Being uncertain, not having the tools or even enjoying the bike shop trip are all legitimate :)

It takes about 2 minutes as it’s in my office, Not sure this is really the point of the thread though.

It takes about 2 minutes as it’s in my office, Not sure this is really the point of the thread though.

Haha fair enough then :)
  • photonic69

Involve your family!! Plenty of opportunities for them to buy you tools that you need for Christmas, birthdays and Fathers Day. Get them involved helping you use the tools they have given you as presents. My 11 ye old daughter can now strip, degrease and service wheel hub bearings!!!

• If your doing your own work you are amechanic so buy shop tools that good shops use. these cost real money but save time, save parts from being wrecked and overal are nicer to use.

The best tools for the job tdo depend on the job. I have a variety of tools in my shop eith PARK, Wheels MAnufacturing, VAR or Cyclus mostly.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • If your doing your own work you are a mechanic so buy shop tools that good shops use. these cost real money but save time, save parts from being wrecked and overall are nicer to use.

Plus one for that. i realised that the only tools i haven't got now are either for archaic bikes or disc mount facing tools and a frame alignment gauge and I could do with a proper bbcup removal tool but i rarely ever use them. I'd also like that wheels Botom bracket bearing removal tools that press the bearings out; but since i've got a slide hammer and also the wheels bearing removal expander bolts it would only be for completeness sake. (but i still want it)
  • photonic69
    If your doing your own work you are a mechanic so buy shop tools that good shops use. these cost real money but save time, save parts from being wrecked and overal are nicer to use.

However it does depend on the use those tools will get. If it is a tool you'll only ever likely to use 2-3 times in your life and it costs over say £80 then it is not worth it. Conversely something like my kitchen knives cost around £500 for the set but as they are used daily and I have had them for 20 years then they are a very good investment.

It also depends on how many bikes you tinker with. In our household we have about 6-7 depending on the kids growing. It's worth my while investing in tools that will last and make the job easier. If it was only my two bikes then a lot of tools wouldn't be financially worth it. However since I hardly tinker with car engines now that they are so complicated I like to fettle my bikes - A LOT!

• However since I hardly tinker with car engines now that they are so complicated I like to fettle my bikes - A LOT!

Yup, this exactly!
  • However since I hardly tinker with car engines now that they are so complicated I like to fettle my bikes - A LOT!

Yup, this exactly!

same, its a enjoyable part of the whole thing for me. :)