Quick question about step top cap

Blade180
Blade180 Posts: 70
edited September 2018 in Workshop
Hi everyone

I just need to know if the top cap on the stem is needed or not?

Because I added a few spacers and now the bolt for the cap is too short.

I will get a longer bolt as soon as possible but I should be an ok ride without it for the time being?

Comments

• lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    You need the top cap to adjust the headset bearings. Once the load on the bearings is set ,tightening the stem side bolts fixes the bearings and then you can do without the top cap. Have a look on youtube. I do not know how to adjust the bearing load without a top cap. Perhaps some one does.

Edit. - Thinking about this again, the top of the steerer should not be that far below the top of the stem.You could be doing something dangerously wrong here.
  • lesfirth wrote:
    You need the top cap to adjust the headset bearings. Once the load on the bearings is set ,tightening the stem side bolts fixes the bearings and then you can do without the top cap. Have a look on youtube. I do not know how to adjust the bearing load without a top cap. Perhaps some one does.

Edit. - Thinking about this again, the top of the steerer should not be that far below the top of the stem.You could be doing something dangerously wrong here.

Make sure all your stem bolts that clamp over your steerer tube are clamping on steerer tube and not clamping thin air!

A photo would help.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    lesfirth wrote:
    ^^^this
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • I added a few spacers to lift up the handlebar for better comfort. It seemed to fit well back on the tube. I screwed on the bolts that go at each side and the handlebar seemed stable.

Well I guess I will just wait until I can buy a longer bolt for the cap.