Gravel bike build

slc123
slc123 Posts: 407
edited September 2018 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys,

Not sure if this is the right place for it, but my wife has asked her to build a gravel/cyclocross bike for her. Not something I’ve ridden or built before so after some advice.

Anyone recommend a good inexpensive frame, or something secondhand to look out for?

Would an XC geometry frame make a sensible option?

Cheers
Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    What would be the budget for this and frame size.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • slc123
    I’m pretty sure she would be on a small sized frame she’s 164cm tall.

Budget wise I would probably not want to put more than £300-£500 on the build.
  • robertpb
    I'm 166cm and ride a small, problem is there always a lot less small second hand cx/gravel frames about as with that budget that seems the way to go.

It could be a good idea to post this in the Road section with the CX posts, a lot more people there riding these bikes.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,333
    May be doing myself a disservice here but there is a small Boardman CX for sale on this very forum. A bit more than you want to spend I admit.
    I’m interested for the groupset, the whole thing might do you. If I buy it the frame, wheels and finishing kit may be for sale.
  • slc123
    Veronese68 wrote:
    May be doing myself a disservice here but there is a small Boardman CX for sale on this very forum. A bit more than you want to spend I admit.
    I’m interested for the groupset, the whole thing might do you. If I buy it the frame, wheels and finishing kit may be for sale.

Thanks, I’ll check it out.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    slc123 wrote:
    No, the top tube needs to be shorter as the hand hold position is further forward on drop bars, you can usually do this with some tweaking of seatpost, stem and going down a size but that's not going to be an option for you.

See if this price holds (£199) when they come back in stock.
    https://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FRPXXLA/pl ... ross-frame
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • veronese68
    slc123 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Thanks, I’ll check it out.
    It's here: viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13095224
    I think you may struggle to build a bike with similar spec for that price so well worth a look if it's the right size.
    I've decided against it as the fork steerer was too short for me and I found a larger bike with a broken frame closer to home.
  • slc123
    The Rookie wrote:
    slc123 wrote:
    No, the top tube needs to be shorter as the hand hold position is further forward on drop bars, you can usually do this with some tweaking of seatpost, stem and going down a size but that's not going to be an option for you.

See if this price holds (£199) when they come back in stock.
    https://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FRPXXLA/pl ... ross-frame

Thanks, I like the look of the blue model. She probably won't want drop bars, do you think that will be an issue with the geometry?
  • veronese68
    slc123 wrote:
    She probably won't want drop bars, do you think that will be an issue with the geometry?
    Ah, if she doesn't want drop bars it's much easier and cheaper, but not really a gravel/CX bike. Drop bar bikes tend to have shorter frames as the bars give longer reach. In that case an XC type frame would probably be about right, a suspension corrected fork and she's good to go. Or a hybrid frame for flat bars. What width tyres does she want?
  • The Rookie
    So its not a gravel/CX bike its a Hybrid to XC bike!

In that case yes it can be done with an XC style frame, I'd suggest lightweight rigid forks, 29" disc wheels with either narrow MTB or CX tyres and MTB finishing kit.

You could do it with this https://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FRPXLONROD ... d-frameset, a setback seatpost instead of the inline will lengthen it out a bit for flat bars, its what my commuter is based on (comes in a under 9Kg, would still be just under with knobbly tyres).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • slc123
    Thanks chaps, sorry I'm not being very clear...

She's seen a couple of bikes that she likes the look of, I doubt she will care much on components etc... This was one - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitu ... prod159907
  • robertpb
    That is not as good as the secondhand Boardman. I have a CX Team and it's now 3kg less in weight compaired to the Vitus.

My tyres measure 44mm and there is still plenty of room in the fork and frame, so it is easy to use it as a gravel bike
  • The Rookie
    slc123 wrote:
    Thanks chaps, sorry I'm not being very clear...

She's seen a couple of bikes that she likes the look of, I doubt she will care much on components etc... This was one - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitu ... prod159907
    Unless I've gone blind that's got the dropped bars "she probably won't want"?
  • slc123
    The Rookie wrote:
    Unless I've gone blind that's got the dropped bars "she probably won't want"?

Yes... you've gone blind.

I think it was, I like this minus the drop bars. My current thought is to build her an XL enduro bike and see how she gets on...worst case she doesn't like it and I'll have it :lol:
  • The Rookie
    So basically a rigid forked, disc braked 700c wheel hybrid with gravel tyres then.....glad we got that one sorted!
    https://www.evanscycles.com/norco-indie ... e-EV314964 with new tyres?
  • slc123
    The Rookie wrote:
    So basically a rigid forked, disc braked 700c wheel hybrid with gravel tyres then.....glad we got that one sorted!
    https://www.evanscycles.com/norco-indie ... e-EV314964 with new tyres?

Something like that would do nicely... sorry that took a while to get to!
  • The Rookie
    Haha, no probs, you could look locally for a nearly new Hybrid in the right size with the right bits and update a few bits, probably work out cheaper.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    That Norco is really nice! Also worth looking at the Cannondale Quick range. The 2018 models are all on offer right now. Very similar to the Norco, just to give you a few more options. I think Pinnacle do a similar bike too (flat bar, rigid).

Good thinking on the enduro bike though :lol:
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • veronese68
    What about an old rigid MTB? A gold one that's faded slightly in the sun would be perfect I reckon. I happen to have just the thing in my garage.
  • slc123
    The Rookie wrote:
    Haha, no probs, you could look locally for a nearly new Hybrid in the right size with the right bits and update a few bits, probably work out cheaper.

I am keen on buying second hand, the bikes depreciate way to fast for me to buy new... and I like tinkering!
  • slc123
    Veronese68 wrote:
    What about an old rigid MTB? A gold one that's faded slightly in the sun would be perfect I reckon. I happen to have just the thing in my garage.

Depends how retro it is...
  • veronese68
    slc123 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Depends how retro it is...
    So retro it’s the height of fashion :lol:
    Unfortunately not what your Mrs wants. Old Diamondback Topanga.