Vuelta 2018, Stage 8: Linares > Almadén - Stage 8 - 195,1 km *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
edited September 2018 in Pro race
Vuelta Stage 8: Linares > Almadén 01/09/2018 - 195,1 km

The route of the Vuelta a España's 8th stage sets off in Linares to roll in northwesterly direction. Amounting to 195.1 kilometres the race finishes in Almadén on a gentle slope with a 7% kick just before the line.

a9b50

In the 2015 Vuelta the route also moved through this part of Spain. The riders cut through Linares on their way to Cazorla, where an intriguing battle for the overall lead was played out by Esteban Chaves and Tom Dumoulin. The Colombian not only won the stage, he also took the red jersey from the Dutchman.

e3e19

Now the route goes the other way and enters the Parque Natural Sierra de Cardeña y Montoro. In the Natural Park the riders tackle the Alto de Españares, a 3rd category KOM-climb of 10.3 kilometres with an average gradient of 3.6%.

AltoEspanares.gif

No downhill though, the route follows a gradual and rolling descent to the sweltering plains north of Córdoba.
Following a flat section of 10 kilometres, the finale begins 6 kilometres before the line with a 2.4 kilometres slope at 3.4%, while the last 2 kilometres are averaging 3.8% and also feature a 7% kick with 200 metres to go.

Video of the final 5kms.
https://youtu.be/xK7HcRFsNko

Finish and final kms.

stage-8-finish-detail.jpg

eff05

Favourites 8th stage 2018 Vuelta a España

*** Peter Sagan, Thomas De Gendt, Alejandro Valverde,
** Rigoberto Uran, Omar Fraile, Gorka Izagirre, Fabio Felline
* Valerio Conti, Michal Kwiatkowski, Michael Albasini, Alexandre Geniez

Team hotels for this stage.

stage-8-hotel.jpg

Linares
Linares has been waiting for La Vuelta's return for 25 years. The 2018 edition returns to the Jaén locality that, despite being born in a mining area, knew how to grow sustainably around its extensive historical, natural and sporting patrimony. The extinct, yet unforgettable, Linares International Chess Tournament hosted some of history's greatest chess players year after year.

2 La Vuelta stages have departed from Linares

60,000 inhabitants

Jaén Province

Patrimonial, artistic, commercial and with a vast bullfighting culture. That is Linares, one of the most active and thriving cities in the Peninsula’s South. Under the influence of its mining history, Linares is now a cosmopolitan and welcoming city that offers a wide variety of attractive tourist resources, as well as a rich leisure and entertainment offer.

During the 20th century, Linares became one of the most important mining basins in the world. This memorable past is reflected in its unique and brilliant architecture, linked to the industry and to the Bourgeois society.

Besides a deeply-rooted bullfighting tradition, it also has a strong musical tradition linked to the “cante minero” (or mine singing) of the Taranta, and is the birthplace of such artists as Raphael, Andrés Segovia and Carmen Linares.

All of this, plus its gastronomy, its traditional tapas, the friendliness of its people, its intense cultural activity and its accessibility make Linares an ideal city in which to enjoy a truly unique experience.

andrajos-con-liebre-9808.jpeg

photo.jpg

Almadén
A twin city of Linares due to their shared mining origins, this municipality of Ciudad Real has been able reinvent itself and convert its heritage into a historical asset: the Heritage of Mercury features on the UNESCO World Heritage listing. These mines represent the maximum examples of mercury deposits in the world, and also constitute the most important collection of mercury extraction technology in existence

Unprecedented Vuelta finale

5,657 habitantes

Ciudad Real Province

Approximately 370 million years ago, a geological event took place at the bottom of the sea, forming one of the greatest natural treasures in the history of our planet, the Almadén Mine Site. This was the beginning of an adventure that would span over 2500 years of history.

The visit to the Almadén Mine Site becomes a master class in which to expand your knowledge of Geology, History, Chemistry and Social Aspects that are reflected in an enthralling tour through the mine’s galleries, museums and buildings that can be visited.

4.jpg
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    The extinct, yet unforgettable, Linares International Chess Tournament hosted some of history's greatest chess players year after year.
    The international chess tournament at Linares existed late 70s till 2010 – and was often won by Garri Kasparow but also sometimes by other big names in the chess world then, e.g. Spassky (known for his matches against american Bobby Fischer), Karpow, Anand. It was immediately after the 2005 tournament there that Kasparow announced his retirement.

I've added this 'on the surface basically irrelevant' info because it's been said that cycle racing is a bit like a chess game on wheels, a moving chess game - a concept which appeals to me, whether very true or not.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    Sneaky feeling that the break may get the win today. I was tempted to go for Cummings on PTP but couldn't decide if his total anonymity so far is because he's still not fully fit or whether he's just been doing what he does and is biding his time for the right moment. It will be interesting to see if Bora keep things under control. I can't see any other team bothering to do so.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/aug/28/how-to-be-human-the-man-who-was-raised-by-wolves?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=The+Long+Read+-+Collections+2017&utm_term=284654&subid=19487647&CMP=longread_collection

This Long Read from the Guardian is about a man who lived in the hills in the region the race goes through today.

Cardena is mentioned and is passed approximately halfway through the stage, with around 100 km to go
  • The day's break just gone through the intermediate sprint, just under 8 minutes ahead and coming back fairly quickly.
    The three are:
    Machado, Cubero, and Saez
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • 14 minutes lead now cut to just 5.
    There are a few teams who fancy it today.
  • Seems to be coming down in the standard 1min per 10km
  • I'm not really awake, 80km of Spanish tedium took it out of me. I watched the sprint between Sagan and Valverde thinking Sagan won it because the green jersey crossed the line first....

Thank f... for mountains tomorrow.
  • Pete pipped at the post by Piti power. :P
    The top 10 a mixture of punchy types and sprinters.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Do you think Kirby actually gets a sense of emotional loss when his predictions of carnage and dynamic action at a lollipop roundabout doesn’t actually result in anything of significance?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    larkim wrote:
    Do you think Kirby actually gets a sense of emotional loss when his predictions of carnage and dynamic action at a lollipop roundabout doesn’t actually result in anything of significance?

I think so. At one point he started blathering on about bull fighting and how it might end tragically for the bull, I got the impression he made a mental note to apply for bull fighting commentary jobs after the stage.
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    Did anyone spot any spectators out on the route today?