ringing noise from front break on new-ish bike.

Dannysgbb
Dannysgbb Posts: 15
edited September 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Every now and then when im riding my bike i here this dinging noise on my front wheel disk break. I took it back to the bike shop and the person said that the rotor is perfectly lined up and everything is fine. But every know and then i hear it (Its not always). Do i have to worry about this?????

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Probably a brake pad clipping the disc.
    What bike/forks/brakes?

Check everything is tight - qr/axle, caliper mounting bolts - and if so carry on and don't worry.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    yeah pad touching the disc or the pads are loose.

Some brake calipers use an 3mm allen bolt to hold the pad and some use a metal split pin these are on the cheaper brakes.

its not disc brake rub when you turning into a corner or anything? I've had this on wheels that aren't as stiff.
  • JBA wrote:
    Probably a brake pad clipping the disc.
    What bike/forks/brakes?

Check everything is tight - qr/axle, caliper mounting bolts - and if so carry on and don't worry.
    I don't think it would be the axle or break pads seeing the bike shop looked at it yesterday. But i will check the mountain bolts. Do you know what particular tool i need???
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    JBA wrote:

Any unusual noise is cause for concern, it means that something has changed.

Ignoring it is just storing up trouble that is sure to cost more to deal with it later. :(

Silent is best. :)
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    That noise would normally be the disc brake pads glancing the rotor. Best not to leave it or you could have problems in the future and end up eventually with a bike with loads of creaks due to ignoring faults.

Typical causes are :-

Calliper is not aligned properly
    Brake pads not in properly
    Something has got in behind the pads reducing the gap between the pads
    The calliper needs resetting
    Rotor is bent or damaged
    There is too much fluid in the brake making the pad gap too small
    Wheel is loose and QR / Thru axel needs to be tighter
    Loose bolts on calliper
    The cheap disc brakes tend to do this how ever you set them up but anything Deore standard or better should be fine.

If it is more of a grinding or squeaking noise then look at wheel bearing or end caps to make sure everything is greased enough.

Good Luck :)
  • JBA
    Dannysgbb wrote:
    I don't think it would be the axle or break pads seeing the bike shop looked at it yesterday. But i will check the mountain bolts. Do you know what particular tool i need???

Usually a 5mm allen key.

What bike/forks/brakes do you have?

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    JBA wrote:

That may be useful. Since no one here has seen the bike nor head the noise, together with the lbs not being able to identify the cause, then all the above is speculation and guesswork.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    02GF74 wrote:

...... Since no one here has seen the bike nor head the noise, together with the lbs not being able to identify the cause, then all the above is speculation and guesswork.

Of course it's speculation and guesswork from us all. I'm sure the OP is happy with that as he is looking for something he hasn't thought of.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    OK, fair enough. I must be in a particularly grumpy mood :(

Am bit fed up of the samo posts my bike is creaking /discs are squeaking by people who post once never to return.

Surely a search would provide answers, maybe there should be a faq or sticky post.
  • 02GF74 wrote:
    JBA wrote:

That may be useful. Since no one here has seen the bike nor head the noise, together with the lbs not being able to identify the cause, then all the above is speculation and guesswork.

My bike is a Saracen Mantra Trail 2018
  • JBA
    Crikey, this is hard work!
    Don't worry though, I've looked it up - Shimano M396 brakes.

The pads are held in place with a split pin and are not a particularly tight fit. It is probably worth taking the pads out and making sure the retaining spring is in place and the not bent as this could be catching the disc and causing the pinging sound.
    If that is all ok then try realigning the brake calliper.