Pedal Advice

2»

Comments

• Speedplays - the advantages are adjustability - I am a little duck footed and love the float. They are also easy in - the pedals work either way up and you just press down.

Downside - cost - they are more expensive, the entry level cro-mo pedals being more expensive than other main brands. The cleats seem a little more bulky underfoot than other cleats.

New pedals now come with the new aero walkables so no need for extra covers.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    I've used Time MTB pedals, Look Keo pedals (and cheap One23 copies) and Speedplay. I prefer Speedplay for ease but not the cost.

I would have preferred to stay with the Looks, but I alway had hassles clipping in first time. It wasn't too much of a hassle except on hill starts but I got fed up with my lack of getting to grips with it, even after years. The One23 pedals were better for me - the spindle bearings a less slick so I hit the cleat more regularly rather than missing it as it spun.

The speedplays are simple to get into being double sided. If you use the aero ones or covers for the original cleats, they last for years. Think of them as more part of the pedal attached to the shoe - rather than consumable cleats for the looks.

Didn't fancy trying the Time Espressos - even though I like their MTB pedals. So may sharp edges, I'd slash my shins to ribbons.
  • rieko
    rieko Posts: 121
    I have used Time Xpresso for years but recently switched to Shimano Ultegra's. Should have done it ages ago, if for nothing else but the savings in cleat replacement.
    Giant TCR
    Giant TCX
  • I really like my Speedplays.
    I was used to SPDs so liked the idea of double sided pedals.
    They look really good and once you've broken them in, engage/disengaging is really easy.
    Aset of cleats came with the pedals and bought another set for second pair of shows for about £30.
    Oer their lifetime, it doesn't seem a lot.