Don't forget to change your tyre

supermurph09
supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
The last 12 months or so I felt my Tacx Flow Smart was beginning to die. The feel was slowly getting worse and turbo training seemed to be sapping my legs more than I have noticed before.

This week I changed the 6 year old blue (hence many, many, many turbo hours) TACX training tyre for a new Vittoria red turbo tyre and I was amazed beyond belief at the feel the TACX now has, super smooth, quiet and a totally different feel.

Common sense you might think, I just wanted to share that with you. :D

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    so basically you've just made your turbo training easier - isn't it supposed to be hard?

I don't bother changing the tyre between road & turbo (albeit an old road tyre) - but then on Bkool the clamping is from my weight rather than a clipped in spindle - I've found it to be a lot "easier" on the tyre ...
  • supermurph09
    Slowbike wrote:
    so basically you've just made your turbo training easier - isn't it supposed to be hard?

I don't bother changing the tyre between road & turbo (albeit an old road tyre) - but then on Bkool the clamping is from my weight rather than a clipped in spindle - I've found it to be a lot "easier" on the tyre ...

I've known a few people who have said that they've never had normal road tyre wear on a turbo, that's never been my experience. I've certainly not made it easier, just better.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    it does wear - just not quickly enough to warrant getting a turbo tyre - when I had a tacx I did notice a lot of rubber on the ground - since getting the Bkool it's been significantly less - perhaps I just clamped the tacx too hard. Perhaps I just don't use the turbo enough :o
  • I don't use road tyres as my turbo destroys decent road tyres through heat build up, graining and marbles so a turbo tyre is a must.

I've only used a Vittoria one which must be 7 years old now. The rubber appears to have matured nicely with a nice hard surface that should last for years more.
  • supermurph09
    I don't use road tyres as my turbo destroys decent road tyres through heat build up, graining and marbles so a turbo tyre is a must.

I've only used a Vittoria one which must be 7 years old now. The rubber appears to have matured nicely with a nice hard surface that should last for years more.

My TACX tyre had cracked / split quite a bit, tbf it’s had some hammer! The Vittoria actually looks wider too, they are both 23mm. Anyway, another session tonight, smooth.