Drilling existing internal cable routing holes

alexanderjames
alexanderjames Posts: 7
edited August 2018 in Workshop
Hi, I’m looking at getting a Scott Foil 15 frameset from 2013. Originally, this bike came with Ultegra Di2, and was designed to be an electronic only frame. However, I’m wondering how difficult it would be to make it run a mechanical groupset.

The only real difficulty I can see would be drilling the top of the internal cable routing on the left hand side of the down tube. Whilst the cabling structure is there, the Foil 15 came with this part covered.

I understand the frame is designed to do this, but what difficulties would I come across if I attempted this? And what drill bits/tools would I need to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    is there a reason you don't want to look for a mechanical version?

#simpleroute
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • is there a reason you don't want to look for a mechanical version?

#simpleroute
    You know, with second hand frames, it’s often difficult to get exactly what you want. Therefore I was looking for some helpful advice on the situation. If I could get a mechanical ready Scott Foil in my size for a reasonable price, I would.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    then the helpful advice is not to do it and look for a frame that will take your mechanical groupset. or buy an electronic groupset.

cable lugs and stops and routing are your first question then where are you going to drill, is the frame going to accept the cables and drilling. then question why bother and just wait - its only a scott: its not that special.

#pointlessexerciseboundtoendintears
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You could drill and shape the holes to take grommets, but there would be no internal supports and they'll probably rattle like a bar steward, you may not be able to get cables past the BB either.
    Just not worth the effort and issues by ruining a frame.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.