2»

Comments

• thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Big Harv wrote:
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Big Harv wrote:
    Hey forumites!

Scenario: sick dog by the side of the road. Do you have take it home or put it out of its misery? Or does the sick dog take a biscuit and scamper off into the woods?

Was this meant for one of those threads in The Cake Shop where everyone types like Russel Brand talks?

What, where am I :oops:

Trying day. But my quick links are definitely still linked. Yup.
    Hey man, I hope you are doing ok! Tough day and a another one to follow...
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    I can't play the piano, therefore all pianos are a scam - don't buy them, they don't work! Same goes for surgical scalpels, knitting needles and unicycles. All scams that don't work as they should in my hands!

I can, however, use a quick link and you'll find one on every chain I own (plus a few spares in my mobile tool kits). I don't have a special tool either - the 9s ones I can wriggle apart, the 10s ones I can get apart with the circlip pliers I already own.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    If it werent so expensive, I would have a chain made entirely of quick links... they are fab!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    It's a non-issue unless they make them compulsory. Then I'm against them. On principle.

But for now I think they are the dog's doodahs. Never has chain-faffing been so simple. Marvellous invention.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,699
    keef66 wrote:
    But for now I think they are the dog's doodahs. Never has chain-faffing been so simple. Marvellous invention.
    This pretty much covers it for me. They are so easy to undo that I did once manage to undo one with no tools and also with no hands. I was riding back from a pub on my old hack and dropped from big to middle ring at the bottom of a slope and it undid itself. Considering it was dark and I'd had a few I locked the bike up and jumped on a bus. Picked it up the next day and discovered it was just the quick link that had come undone. Completely down to a lack of maintenance on the hack. When I looked at it properly I ended up replacing the chain, cassette and chain rings.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    keef66 wrote:
    It's a non-issue unless they make them compulsory. Then I'm against them. On principle.

The last 2 chains ai bought came with those and no pins!!!!!!!!!
  • veronese68
    I don't believe a word of it, there were loads of pins already fitted in the chain. :mrgreen:
  • Vino'sGhost
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I don't believe a word of it, there were loads of pins already fitted in the chain. :mrgreen:

Already fitted? that why its the wrong length and hangs down. I want my money back and a cut out and keep appology. With service like this these bike shops deserve to go bust. Absolute scam.
  • veronese68
    Veronese68 wrote:

Already fitted? that why its the wrong length and hangs down. I want my money back and a cut out and keep appology. With service like this these bike shops deserve to go bust. Absolute scam.
    Did you buy the chains from Merlin?
  • Vino'sGhost
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Did you buy the chains from Merlin?

I tried to but they stole my card details and took my money. Total SCAM
  • I love my quick links......Just worry they might break during ride.

Some nice QL links haha pun intended

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l2tw3btS4Q quick link tips
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4aHi7jxY2I if caught short
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hodXyOkyP94 chain no-nos
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Been (re)using KMC 11sp quick links for over 6 years, no problems at all.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Not really. Unless you have co-ordination problems or something?

says the guy who can't use a quick link...
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    This seems to not be about quick links now... but for what its worth, I bought a new Ultegra chain which came with a Shimano quick link which I ditched after a couple of attempts. The KMC ones are really easy, but I couldn't get the Shimano one on.
  • Vino'sGhost
    edited August 2018
    Craigus89 wrote:
    This seems to not be about quick links now... but for what its worth, I bought a new Ultegra chain which came with a Shimano quick link which I ditched after a couple of attempts. The KMC ones are really easy, but I couldn't get the Shimano one on.

I didnt even bother trying I just used a link i had. :) TBH i think theyre just a nod to the many people for whom a chain tool is a frightening thing. it's pretty easy to see how it should work and the pin requires you to push it just far enough but not too far and then break it off. an extra couple of steps and more judgement required.

I suspect that for many people taking the chain off to clean is an expedition into the unknown let alone size or break one to fit so the quick link makes the whole chain area "more Accesible" which has got to be a good thing.

Bungle bless his little cotton socks is the proof that the simplest things are beyond some people. Either that or he's a world class wind up and should be applauded :)
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    All of this talk has just reminded me I really need to check my chains for wear. Cheers Bungle.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Like Fenix, this thread reminded me to check my chain. Needed a new which I fitted today. When I removed the old one I thought I’d try that method with a bit of wire rather than smacking the quick link with the hammer. Threaded the wire pulled once nothing happened muttered to myself something about it being a sh*t idea pulled again and the link popped apart.
    Less than a minute I reckon.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Quick links are so good I’ve been known to have two in the same chain. Brilliant little things, and as already said on page 1, Wipperman are the best!