New bike recommendation: from Giant TCR 0 to Argon 18 Gallium Pro

ThePainnn
ThePainnn Posts: 5
edited September 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I currently ride a 2009 Giant TCR 0 Alliance 2009. It's an old bike that has seen a lot and I really enjoy it. Component are mostly 105 with a small mix of ultregra. Wheels are DuraAce C24.

I'm looking for a new bike and I saw a used Argon 18 Gallium Pro 2017. Group is DuraAce Di2 and wheel are Vision Metron 40 carbon. It's used and as only 2000km. It's looking good, but it's still 5.7k and I need a new power meter on top of that (currently I own a 4iii left side).

I'm really hesitant, will it really make a big difference? I know that the motor is mostly the "rider" himself, but I'm at a crossroad, my bike is old and tend to be a little clunky. I could change the component or just go ahead and change the whole thing.

Thanks!

Comments

• Live a little
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    2 questions

1) Can you afford it (read: justify the cost to yourself)

2) Is there anything else you'd rather have for the money?

£6K (incl new power meter) goes a long way, especially second hand.
  • Yeah I can afford it (it's 6k canadian dollar ;) ).
    I could do a lot of thing with 6k also.
    I'm just scared that the upgrade won't matter too much. It's just nice to have a new bike, but will it give me a good increase in performance and maybe more enjoyable ride?
  • Can you do a test ride?

It's your money and if you can afford it then do with it what you want!

Does sound nice though!

What are other options at 6k CAD?
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    The fit of the bike is very important - it doesn't matter if the bike you are looking at is newer and flashier, it will be worse if it does not fit you well.

At the end what you get out of riding a bike is always subjective. To some riding a more expensive/exclusive bike derives more pleasure even if the performance is not advanced by much over a cheaper/mass produced bike.

It sounds like you want to replace your current bike, however, you do not have spend upto 6k - I would at least look at other options - bike shops, other second hand deals etc.
  • I'll do a test ride today, to get the feel. The bike is already used and is a pretty good deal over a brand new model (around 12k with tax).

I'm still hesitant. It's still a lot of money. I thought also of changing my current component set (shimano 105 5600) to an ultegra di2, since my old groupset is starting to freak me out (even after a couple of adjustment at my bike shop) it as a mind of it's own. I wonder, are groupset compatible with any road bike frame?
  • Mechanical - all are cross compatible. Di2 and EPS not always.
  • After some research, ultegra di2 is not for my bike. I could external wiring, but ish...
  • Don't do it.

If you are skilled and confident, you can drill some bikes.