Choosing a bike from Evans to buy with Clubcard points

Out Of Practice
Out Of Practice Posts: 8
edited November 2018 in Commuting chat
Hi,

Hope this is the right place, more going places than commuting but it seemed most similar.

Looking to spend some very soon to expire clubcard points, and Evans Cycles is an option. Haven’t ridden a bike for many a year, but I could do with something for short trips to town, the station etc. 2-3 mile tarmac road runs which just take an annoying amount of time to walk both ways.

Not in great shape*, but if it took me less than an hour and a half round trip to go anyway it’s entirely conceivable I might get out more which would be a bonus, and involve using the bike more.

Anyway looking around the site for bikes which will do a job and mostly be covered by my ‘free’ vouchers I’m looking at:

Dawes Discovery Trail 2018 https://www.evanscycles.com/dawes-discovery-trail-2018-hybrid-bike-EV331644

Pinnacle Lithium 0 https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-lithium-0-2018-hybrid-bike-EV312065

Dawes Discovery https://www.evanscycles.com/dawes-discovery-101-2018-hybrid-bike-EV331646

Pinnacle Lithium https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-lithium-1-2018-hybrid-bike-EV275571

Can’t find an awful lot of detailed comment online although casual forum browsing seems to indicate the Pinnacles are preferred. Any comments on these choices would be appreciated, as somebody who doesn’t read bike the differences in what I would be getting for my money in each case aren’t entirely clear.

Thanks in advance.

* Reasonably dramatic understatement

Comments

• wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Hi, and welcome to the forum. This is as good a place as any to ask the question! Sounds like you've been doing quite a lot of shopping at Tesco's... ;)
    I can't comment at the moment on the bikes, but will have a gander later in the day!
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    A good way of funding a bike.

A mate did similar and got an "£1800 bike" for £100 cash. (I think the detail was it was £1,800 reduced to £1,100 and he had £500 of vouchers but apparently they double up if you spend them on bikes so were worth £1,000. He just had to stump up the difference).

He did lots of travel for work but was required to spend on his own credit card and then seek reimbursement hence his large spend.
    FCN = 4
  • MTB-Idle wrote:
    A good way of funding a bike.

A mate did similar and got an "£1800 bike" for £100 cash. (I think the detail was it was £1,800 reduced to £1,100 and he had £500 of vouchers but apparently they double up if you spend them on bikes so were worth £1,000. He just had to stump up the difference).

He did lots of travel for work but was required to spend on his own credit card and then seek reimbursement hence his large spend.

Ha, something I do know about...

Since the recent change in structure they triple up, although you basically get a gift voucher so you can spend it anything you want from the retailer not just bikes. If you use a Tesco credit card you can get points on purchases even if they aren't from Tesco albeit at a relatively slow rate, but unless you have some other cashback deal on your card it's effectively free money so it would be rude not to. You can also get an 8% bonus if you cashout topcashback payments as Evan's vouchers.

I'm beginning to think my choice of thread title may not have been optimal!
  • wolfsbane2k
    I'm beginning to think my choice of thread title may not have been optimal!
    Indeed .
    Not sure if you can change it to "Help - Chosse a ~£30 bike from Evans".. ;)
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    On the subject, I see Tesco now let you claim vouchers whenever you want rather than having to wait for your tri-monthly statement from them.

Which is nice.
  • wolfsbane2k
    Ok, Comparing Bikes.

I physically cant' see the difference, other than colour, between the two dawes bikes.
    Side by side, their components and geometry are identical, both 18 gears (3x6, covering a reasonable range)
    Heavy ish bikes though, at 13.4kg.

The Pinnacles are lighter (10.1kg) , 7 gears on the 0, 8 on the 1 with only a RD, meaning simpler maintainance, but slightly less range in the 8 than the 7, both iess range than the dawes.

All the bikes are 6061 alu, come with 38c tyres fitted, and the pinnacles could go wider (50c) if needed.
    All have mudguard and pannier rack mounts...

Given that, I'd probably go with the Pinnacle 0, on gut instinct alone, possibly up to the 1, depending on how flat your route is.
  • Ok, Comparing Bikes.

I physically cant' see the difference, other than colour, between the two dawes bikes.
    Side by side, their components and geometry are identical, both 18 gears (3x6, covering a reasonable range)

The Pinnacles are lighter (10.1kg) , 7 gears on the 0, 8 on the 1 with only a RD, meaning simpler maintainance, but slightly less range in the 8 than the 7, both iess range than the dawes.

All the bikes are 6061 alu, come with 38c tyres fitted, and the pinnacles could go wider (50c) if needed.

Given that, I'd probably go with the Pinnacle 0, on gut instinct alone, possibly up to the 1, depending on how flat your route is.

Thanks.

I asked both Dawes and Evans about the differences between the two Dawes.

It seems to come down to:

- Bottom Bracket: Trail is 5pc ball bearing, 101 is semi-sealed cartridge bearing

- Gear Shifters: Trail uses Shimano Revoshifters, 101 uses Shimano EZ Fire

- Tyres: Trail uses unbranded, 101 uses Kenda tyres

- Rims are double walled on the 101

Oh and the chainset on the 101 is alloy apparently.

Not to be too indelicate but does the effect of the weight of the bike change substantially with the weight of the rider?
  • wolfsbane2k
    Ok, Comparing Bikes.

Thanks.

I asked both Dawes and Evans about the differences between the two Dawes.

It seems to come down to:

- Bottom Bracket: Trail is 5pc ball bearing, 101 is semi-sealed cartridge bearing

- Gear Shifters: Trail uses Shimano Revoshifters, 101 uses Shimano EZ Fire

- Tyres: Trail uses unbranded, 101 uses Kenda tyres

- Rims are double walled on the 101

Oh and the chainset on the 101 is alloy apparently.

Not to be too indelicate but does the effect of the weight of the bike change substantially with the weight of the rider?

Ah, that means the info on the evans site for the dawes is wrong, as both are listed with REvoshifters, 5 pc bb, unnamed tyres...

Re weights, at this end of the market, its more is more about the likely weight of the wheels - heaver wheels are harder to get going, are less nimble , and harder to stop. As a total percentage of what has to be moved though, it's likely peanuts - if you weigh 70kg ( typical), the difference on such a short ride if it's in the frame is negligible.
  • I'd lean towards the Pinnacles, mostly due to the simplicity of the gearing - There's much less to go wrong with the single chainring, unless you go up a lot of hills.
    I'd also say it's worth the extra (vouchers) for the Lithium 1.

• Re weights, at this end of the market, its more is more about the likely weight of the wheels - heaver wheels are harder to get going, are less nimble , and harder to stop. As a total percentage of what has to be moved though, it's likely peanuts - if you weigh 70kg ( typical), the difference on such a short ride if it's in the frame is negligible.

Ah, an interesting differentiation, and once you make it it seems obvious, thanks.

timmyotool wrote:
    I'd lean towards the Pinnacles, mostly due to the simplicity of the gearing - There's much less to go wrong with the single chainring, unless you go up a lot of hills.
    I'd also say it's worth the extra (vouchers) for the Lithium 1.

Another point which hadn't crossed my mind, and a convincing argument.

Unfortunately the vouchers will have been exhausted by that point, especially since I had to siphon a little off in hotel vouchers to prevent some of them expiring which means spending real money, albeit real money I no longer have to spend on a hotel room. It also means I now have to wait a while for the change to be reissued as new vouchers which is a shame.
  • A quick Black Friday revival if I might.

The Neon 1 is going for the same price as the lithium 1. I'm resisting the higher RRP equals better assumption but other than the neon being somewhat lighter I'm not at all certain what the differences are.

A brief translation from spec in to english wold be very much appreciated.

Neon 1: https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-ne ... e-EV275567

Lithim 1: https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-li ... e-EV275571
  • timothyw
    I hope you already redeemed the vouchers, tesco won't convert them since the takeover (and Evans only just started accepting them again) and you only have until 31st January for old vouchers.
  • I hadn't, but it's still showing up in clubcard rewards, and I can add it to my clubcard basket.

Perhaps today is the day?
    Customer Notice
    Gift card redemption will be available from Friday 16th November 2018. You will be able to redeem your gift card in the usual way either in-store, online or by phone.

All gift cards issued before 30th October 2018 – the date of our acquisition by Sports Direct - will be honoured. These cards will expire on 31st January 2019.

For gift cards issued on or after 30th October 2018, our standard terms and conditions apply.

- https://www.evanscycles.com/help/gift-c ... =Affiliate
  • timothyw
    That is interesting! Looks like the tesco clubcard deal is back on - yesterday it was saying this deal is no longer available.

The Neon 1 is going for the same price as the lithium 1. I'm resisting the higher RRP equals better assumption but other than the neon being somewhat lighter I'm not at all certain what the differences are.

Both bikes look great to be honest. They both feature 8 speed drivetrains which means a freehub rather than freewheel at the rear. Freehub's are stronger, take more abuse, shift more cleanly and require less maintenance normally. The Neon frame looks slightly better with triple butting which thins the walls of the tubes where strength isn't required to produce a lighter frame hence the lower bike weight, they are more expensive frames to manufacture. EZ fire shifters are much better than twist shifters in my opinion. I personally would avoid bikes that have 6 or 7 gears at the rear which normally means a weak freewheel based drivetrain.

Both the bikes should be easier to ride except up hills than the other options you have posted. The Neon has a 11-34 cassette which means it will be faster on the flats and downhill as well as easier up hill compared to the lithium. I would definitely go with the Neon. Sounds like with current pricing and your tesco vouchers you are going to end up with a grat bargain. I'd hold out until black friday in case there are any further discounts on the day.

Both bikes look great to be honest. They both feature 8 speed drivetrains which means a freehub rather than freewheel at the rear. Freehub's are stronger, take more abuse, shift more cleanly and require less maintenance normally. The Neon frame looks slightly better with triple butting which thins the walls of the tubes where strength isn't required to produce a lighter frame hence the lower bike weight, they are more expensive frames to manufacture. EZ fire shifters are much better than twist shifters in my opinion. I personally would avoid bikes that have 6 or 7 gears at the rear which normally means a weak freewheel based drivetrain.

Both the bikes should be easier to ride except up hills than the other options you have posted. The Neon has a 11-34 cassette which means it will be faster on the flats and downhill as well as easier up hill compared to the lithium. I would definitely go with the Neon. Sounds like with current pricing and your tesco vouchers you are going to end up with a grat bargain. I'd hold out until black friday in case there are any further discounts on the day.

Thanks.

Still toying with the lithium 0 which is down to £190 as well.

A dive in to the garage for an old rust bucket should take another £20 off the price, which wold leave me cashless on the Lithium 0, but bearing in mind I can recoup £20 per usage (return taxi fair to the station) I don't think I'll end begrudging the extra for the neon.

How do Evans handle out of stock, do they withdraw the item until they have more available, or sell with longer lead times? If the former then there is a risk in holding off. Although I'm not sure how long the voucher purchase will take, so I may not have a choice...