Vuelta a Espana Stage 5 *SPOILER*

DeadCalm
DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
edited August 2018 in Pro race
Today's stage is 188.7km from Granada to Roquetas de Mar. Apologies for the paucity of the thread but I'm busy today. If anyone can add further information, feel free.

Profile:
vuelta-a-espana-2018-stage-5-profile-60cb49c0f1.png
Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet

Comments

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918
    Is the last climb selective enough to ditch the sprinters?
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Is the last climb selective enough to ditch the sprinters?

Probably, but will they try, knowing that there's 26k afterwards to get back on? It's true that the weakish sprinters field means there might not be many teams chasing.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,596
    Kirby is commentating on a possible Simon Clarke victory.
  • TheBigBean
    Alessandro De Marchi, Simon Clarke and Bauke Mollema with 1km to go are playing games. Chasers are 15s behind
  • TheBigBean
    Joy for Kirby!

Rudy Molard will take red. (He was in a group of three behind the leading three)
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    terrible coverage . 700m to go and they are showing the peleton 6 mins down . :roll: :roll: :roll:
  • TheBigBean wrote:

Rudy Molard will take red. (He was in a group of three behind the leading three)

Very pleased for him
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Sounds like another riveting day on the Vuelta.. I like the mental mtfs that they usually have but the rest of the race is pretty nondescript isn't it
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    Yesterday was good, Lotto Jumbo looked ace. Stage 3 and today, meh. But I'm pleased for Mollard.
  • ShutupJens wrote:
    Sounds like another riveting day on the Vuelta.. I like the mental mtfs that they usually have but the rest of the race is pretty nondescript isn't it
    Made up for by everyone accepting this is what a grand tour does, rather than decrying it as the end of all cycling and demanding Dave Brailsford's head on a stick because whatever. Vuelta mainly suffers from being at the wrong end of the season, when people are on holiday or getting excited about football again
    Personally I'm happy put to learn I'm not missing much, as the only racing I've seen from my tent is the local sailing regatta
    and I'm not even sure the boats knew what was going on.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    As a keen sailor I am totally happy to admit it makes zero sense to any spectator. It doesnt even really make sense on the boat usually...

I can't understand why I can never get excited about the Vuelta. It's not like I watched much cycling this year, it cant be spectator burnout...I ve even cancelled my ES Player as I just wasnt gonna use it...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    The last time FdJ led a Grand Tour was the 2004 Giro
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    The last time each Grand Tour team led a Grand Tour (Bahrain are yet to do so):

V2018 FdJ
    V2018 Sky
    V2018 BMC
    T2018 Bora
    T2018 Quick Step
    G2018 Mitchelton
    G2018 Sunweb
    T2017 Astana
    G2017 Movistar
    G2017 Lotto Soudal
    T2016 Dimension Data
    G2016 Lotto Jumbo
    V2015 Katusha
    T2015 Trek
    G2012 EF Education
    G2012 UAE (as Lampre)
    T2009 AG2R
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Zomg team Cannondale won a GT stage, very nice!
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    RichN95 wrote:

T2009 AG2R

But I thought Bardet was the Next Big Thing (tm)!!

Or is that Latour now on that team?
  • DeadCalm
    I thought the stage was okay. Not great but certainly not terrible. A typical GT transition stage really.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • DeadCalm
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

T2009 AG2R

But I thought Bardet was the Next Big Thing (tm)!!

Or is that Latour now on that team?
    Think you'll find, even to his biggest fans, Bardet was never the Next Big Thing. He was the Great French Hope which is quite different. The Next Big Thing, according to many on this forum, is apparently Bernal and at the time Bardet was emerging would probably still have been Quintana.

AG2R's lack of recent leader jerseys is partly down to their focus on the Tour. An on-form Bardet would have a great chance of winning this Vuelta for example.
    Team My Man 2022:

• TheBigBean wrote:
    Kirby is commentating on a possible Simon Clarke victory.
    Stopped clock and all that.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    mamil314 wrote:
    Zomg team Cannondale won a GT stage, very nice!

Missed it! :(
  • RichN95 wrote:

V2018 FdJ
    V2018 Sky
    V2018 BMC
    T2018 Bora
    T2018 Quick Step
    G2018 Mitchelton
    G2018 Sunweb
    T2017 Astana
    G2017 Movistar
    G2017 Lotto Soudal
    T2016 Dimension Data
    G2016 Lotto Jumbo
    V2015 Katusha
    T2015 Trek
    G2012 EF Education
    G2012 UAE (as Lampre)
    T2009 AG2R

I went through these trying to name the rider for each of these, but couldn't remember the Lotto Soudal rider.

It's a fun game that killed 2 minutes
  • Many thanks to Dead Calm for taking up the baton. Much appreciated.
    Catching up with the race and the teams and riders who have come to play at the season's last chance saloon.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    RichN95 wrote:

V2018 FdJ
    V2018 Sky
    V2018 BMC
    T2018 Bora
    T2018 Quick Step
    G2018 Mitchelton
    G2018 Sunweb
    T2017 Astana
    G2017 Movistar
    G2017 Lotto Soudal
    T2016 Dimension Data
    G2016 Lotto Jumbo
    V2015 Katusha
    T2015 Trek
    G2012 EF Education
    G2012 UAE (as Lampre)
    T2009 AG2R

I went through these trying to name the rider for each of these, but couldn't remember the Lotto Soudal rider.

I'm rubbish at this...I'd hazard a guess at Greipel (from a 1st stage sprint victory), or Thomas de Gendt doing what he does best...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    ddraver wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

V2018 FdJ
    V2018 Sky
    V2018 BMC
    T2018 Bora
    T2018 Quick Step
    G2018 Mitchelton
    G2018 Sunweb
    T2017 Astana
    G2017 Movistar
    G2017 Lotto Soudal
    T2016 Dimension Data
    G2016 Lotto Jumbo
    V2015 Katusha
    T2015 Trek
    G2012 EF Education
    G2012 UAE (as Lampre)
    T2009 AG2R

I'm rubbish at this...I'd hazard a guess at Greipel (from a 1st stage sprint victory), or Thomas de Gendt doing what he does best...
    Yeah, Greipel
  • DeadCalm
    Lolz, Bouhani, who finished dead last and 25:26 down, given a 20 second time penalty for punching his own team car.

Molard also given a 20 second penalty for taking a feed inside the last 20km so his lead is down to 41 seconds.
    Team My Man 2022:

• m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,339
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Lolz, Bouhani, who finished dead last and 25:26 down, given a 20 second time penalty for punching his own team car.
    Bouhanni's penalty was for incorrect feeding as well. Probably had a knuckle sandwich. :wink:
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023