New Endurance bike

mfrey
mfrey Posts: 11
edited September 2018 in Road buying advice
I am currently riding a Scott Addict 10 from 2015 (with Fulcrum zeros) and I am not happy with the extreme stiffness of the bike, you feel every little bump in the road and that makes rides on roads that are not in perfect condition very uncomfortable (the riding position itself is OK and I have done a bike fitting)

I am looking for more comfortable bikes and tend more toward endurance bikes, as I am only riding for fun, not in a competitive way at all. I am 1m90 tall and weight about 80kg, not sure if this has an impact on the choice of the bike or not.

I have looked online at several reviews and have the most interesting options seems to be the Bianchi Infinito CV, but it also cost nearly twice as much as some of the other bikes (with similar components), so I am really wondering if it's worth the huge premium

The selection below was done based on bike availability / prices in Switzerland. I have only selected bike with Ultegra (or at least mostly) Ultegra components.

I have no specific preference on rim / disk brakes and I have identified 3 group of bikes. If I got for rim brakes, I could consider re-using my current wheels (Fulcrum zero), although they are a bit too narrow to fit wider tyres .

Ultegra
- KTM Revelator Alto 4000
- Cube Agree C62 Pro (2017)
- Canyon Endurace SL8 Disc

Same bikes as above with Ultegra Di2
- Canyon Endurace SL8 Disc Di2
- Cube Agree C62 SL (Di2)

More expensive frames with Ultegra components
- Cannondale Synapse Ultegra Disc
- Trek Domane SL6 Disc
- Bianchi Infinito CV

I can unfortunalty not try out all the bikes in the list above, all of these bikes got good or even very good reviews.

My 3 questions:
-Is the Ultegra Di2 (2018) worth the extra cost of the Ultegra ?
- Are the Cannondale,Trek, Bianchi frames worth the (huge) premium over KTM, Cube or Canyon frames (cost nearly twice as much)
- Which is your favorite one in the list above (focusing on comfort more than performance) ?

Thanks for you help and sorry for the long post

Comments

• rwoofer
    rwoofer Posts: 222
    I'm 1.98m and 86kg and just went through a similar exercise and ended up with a Cervelo R3D. My previous BMC GF02 was also too uncomfortable, and the R3D was a revelation in comparison. Worth considering.
  • I have an Aluminum trek Domane with the isospeed decoupler. I'm not sure how much of a difference the isospeed decoupler actually does make in the real world. However I find the bike very comfortable to ride over longer distances. The road surface is pretty poor round my way and it can also take 28mm tyres which also makes the ride a bit more tolerable.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    What width tyres and what PSI?
  • rwoofer
    rwoofer Posts: 222
    cougie wrote:
    My R3D is on 25mm tyres at 95psi/100psi F/R.

When i test rode it i thought the tyres hadn't been inflated fully, which shows how compkiant the R3D is.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Cube Agree is excellent. I have slammed the stem but it's still all day comfortable. I have the 105 disc version. It's survived several plane trips, several thousand miles of 98kg of me bouncing up and down on it. Only variation to spec is that I've got H Plus Son Archetypes (28 spoke) on Novatechs shod with Michelin Pro4 Endurance 28mm tyres. Very comfortable, more than quick enough.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • cougie wrote:

I'm on 25mm 90f/95r
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    I own Infinito CV and i am in love with it. Comfortable but fast, great handling, and the iconic celeste. Synapse is my 2nd favorite.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    25mm tyres don't need that much pressure in. I wonder if adjusting that could help the OP ?
  • clu
    clu Posts: 89
    I can also give a thumbs up to the Cervelo R3 Disc, as I bought one earlier this year too. My bike has the Mavic Yksion Pro tyres fitted in the 25mm width, although they measure a little wider at 26mm when inflated. I inflate both front and rear tyres to 85 psi.

I find the bike extremely comfortable to ride. There's plenty of clearance for even wider 28mm tyres if I wanted to fit them, but I don't feel the need as it's comfy enough already.
    2004 Trek 5500 OCLV
    2014 Cervelo R3 Black/Blue
    2018 Cervelo R3 Disc Navy/Red
    2018 Trek Domane SL 5 Disc Grey
    2020 Trek Domane SL 5 Disc Matte Navy
  • mfrey
    YiannisM wrote:
    I own Infinito CV and i am in love with it. Comfortable but fast, great handling, and the iconic celeste. Synapse is my 2nd favorite.
    Did you by any chance try out the synapse ? How would you compare both bikes in term of comfort ? I did a test ride on a Synapse but did not find the bike very comfortable (I tried it out just after a Roubaix), and I found the fork to be very stiff. The fork/wheels are not as stiff as my current bike, but the difference is not so noticeable.
  • mfrey
    mfrey wrote:
    YiannisM wrote:
    Did you by any chance try out the synapse ? How would you compare both bikes in term of comfort ? I did a test ride on a Synapse but did not find the bike very comfortable (I tried it out just after a Roubaix), and I found the fork to be very stiff. The fork/wheels are not as stiff as my current bike, but the difference is not so noticeable.
    Thank you for the suggestion, I will take the R3 is my short-list and try it out.
  • I'd be suprised if that, all other factors being equal, the R3 is any better than the Addict. The Addict is a pretty comfortable frame IMO- especially in HMF model. I had the HMX and even that was pretty compliant.
  • mfrey
    Thanks all for your suggestions, after trying out several bikes, the one that fittest best my requirements is the Roubaix. The level of comfort was well above all the other bikes I tried