Gym bike level for track bike work

MissedTheBreak
MissedTheBreak Posts: 173
edited August 2018 in Road general
Bit of a random one and appreciate it may differ for the multitude of gym bikes out there but does anyone know how you could gauge what level to set a typical gym bike at to try and replicate a 50x16 of a track bike for standing start intervals?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    You are probably the only person who can answer that. Assuming you have already done standing starts on 50/16, then simply adjust the resistance until you find something similar...
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    At my gym the bikes all have slightly different resistance so it's an impossible question to answer.
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    50x16 is 84” which is quite a small gear on the track. The only way you’ll be able to answer your question is trial and error on the gym bike. Starts aren’t easy to practice on standard gym bikes, spin bikes and Wattbike are a big better but none are ideal.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • Thanks all, I assumed exertion level was probably the only way to do it but didn’t want to miss a trick.

I think 50x16 is what Manchester runs for its taster session bikes which is why I was targeting it.
  • poppit
    If you’re doing a taster session I don’t think you’ll be doing any held starts
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    As above - you won't be doing held starts in a taster session. I don't think you even do them on accreditation courses. In any case, if you've not done a standing start before, then practising it on a gym bike is not relevant.
  • poppit
    Imposter wrote:
    As above - you won't be doing held starts in a taster session. I don't think you even do them on accreditation courses. In any case, if you've not done a standing start before, then practising it on a gym bike is not relevant.
    The only time I’ve seen them done is if there is some free time after a session and a few just want to try one
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR