Mudguards

dinyull
dinyull Posts: 2,979
edited August 2018 in Road buying advice
Bought this bike bike in May via cyclescheme as year round commuter - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitu ... prod159799

Spoke to CRC/Wiggle about mudguards and they recommended narrow SKS Blumels, but come to fit them this week and they're too small.

I don't think anything bigger will fit the frame though?!

Tyres are 28mm Conti Ultrasport as supplied and the clearance is tight on the front, but it is clear. The rear plastic SKS mount is rubbing both sides of rear tyre though.

Add to this, the rear stay mount position meaning the thru-axle can't be turned to remove the wheel (without unbolting the handle and adjusting position every half turn).

Any suggestions on what mudguards I'll get to fit???

Comments

• dinyull
    I love the bike, but starting to think the guards were a total afterthought in the design process.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    try narrower tyres ? PITA though.
  • dinyull
    Fenix wrote:
    try narrower tyres ? PITA though.

Yeah, 25's are an option.

Doesn't solve the thru-axle handle though, which again might mean another purchase.

Annoying!
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I've just bought some Crud RR IIIs from Amazon for £10 as spares (£10 for a set of mudguards .... that'll do) they use a velcro system on the inside of the forks/stays to connect and the box says they're good for up to 32mm (didn't realise they were that wide - perhaps a little too big for my road bikes then).

On my Allez with practically no clearance (even with 23mm tyres) - I found that sks raceblade long fit quite nicely - although the fixing point is still the axles - it wouldn't be that tricky to change that for some p brackets (Allez doesn't have mudguard fixing points)
  • dinyull
    Slowbike wrote:
    I've just bought some Crud RR IIIs from Amazon for £10 as spares (£10 for a set of mudguards .... that'll do) they use a velcro system on the inside of the forks/stays to connect and the box says they're good for up to 32mm (didn't realise they were that wide - perhaps a little too big for my road bikes then).

On my Allez with practically no clearance (even with 23mm tyres) - I found that sks raceblade long fit quite nicely - although the fixing point is still the axles - it wouldn't be that tricky to change that for some p brackets (Allez doesn't have mudguard fixing points)

Cheers.

The thing that is pi$$ing me off in all of this is that it was bought specifically for the fact it had hydro discs and mudguard mounts.

Replacing the OEM tyres and thru-bolt axles to make it work seems a bit of a joke.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    If you've got mudguard mounts then the SKS longs may be ok - check the width though.
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    Can you use a P clip on the NDS seat stay to mount the mudguard stay out of the road of the Thru-axle?
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Can't you get rid of TA handle and keep a hex key in the toolbag
  • dinyull
    mamil314 wrote:

I did think of that, but without the handle there isn't a hex bolt to unscrew the axle. Unless I'm doing it wrong haha!
  • Dinyull wrote:
    mamil314 wrote:

I did think of that, but without the handle there isn't a hex bolt to unscrew the axle. Unless I'm doing it wrong haha!

Thru axle handles can often lift up in order to be positioned in line with whatever. If yours don't then you could probably buy some? Both a trek domane and canyon I've had used this system, the handle simply lifts up then goes around the mudguard