An other wheels topic

yiannism
yiannism Posts: 345
edited September 2018 in Road buying advice
I own Bianchi infinito CV with the awful fulcrum racing sport. I am looking for a wheel upgrade. Ive found fulcrum racing zero on wiggle for 707, and on my LBS for 750 on the price installation is included and he can help me with installments. Its anything better on that price?

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Installation?

You must be kidding me.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    YiannisM wrote:
    I own Bianchi infinito CV with the awful fulcrum racing sport. I am looking for a wheel upgrade. Ive found fulcrum racing zero on wiggle for 707, and on my LBS for 750 on the price installation is included and he can help me with installments. Its anything better on that price?

You don't need expensive wheels if you don't know how to "install" them.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    installation includes what? tyres/tubes or tubeless fitment? attaching the wheels to your bike?

all of that you could (I trust) do yourself?

there are better wheels available for half the price I'd say. (handbuilts with a decent rim and hope hubs with 20/24 would cost around half that )...
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I'm guessing OP is talking about moving the cassette from one wheel to the other.....worth buying the tools anyway and doing it yourself anyway, but that's a different topic.

To be honest, at the small price difference mentioned I'd go with the LBS. I've never used the racing zero, but by all accounts they are supposed to be a good shallow rim wheel, fairly light. I'd guess its a case of whether there is enough of a performance difference compared to the racing 3's (which I found pretty good - had no issues with them as winter wheels for a few years). The racing zero's are ceramic bearing, I have ceramic bearing summer wheels - no idea if there is any performance advantage, if there is then I've not noticed it between my different wheels.
    Handbuilts would be an option, but the OP lives overseas, which for me would be another reason to use the LBS.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I think the previous posters might have picked up on the wrong aspect of your post.

£707 from Wiggle
    £750 from Local Bike Shop

Yes, installation, whatever that means, is included from the local bike shop. This is not in itself a reason to spend the extra - but, if you have trouble with the wheels, or just plain like the local bike shop, then that is a pretty good reason to support them by buying your wheels, in the knowledge that they are only round the corner if you do have any problems.

Of course, some local bike shops are run by dickheads, so it's up to the OP to use his judgement if this is a shop worth supporting.

I've no knowledge of how good these wheels are, but it's more than I'd personally spend on an aluminium wheelset (and I would need something a lot stronger anyway).
  • Ask your bike shop to match Wiggle.

But yeah, thats a lot of money for not much wheels
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    fulrum zero's use the USB bearing, that is ceramic ball and steel race from the standard bearings. unless you clean out the grease regularly and pack with a proper bearing grease (none of this cheap red stuff made by weldite) then they are O.K but bearing wear is a problem. Campagnolo makes proper ceramic bearing (CULT) with hardened stainless races. These run on thin oil and last forever with minimal maintenance. The STD steel bearing in the fulcrum R3 are a better bet over the USB as the USB bearings dont last longer but cost twice as much and are no quicker. CULT bearings are quicker beacuse there no grease.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • yiannism
    The LBS is worth for me since ive bought my infinito from there, and he made me installments and a good price on it. I actually think that is the cheapest Bianchi dealer on the world, even cheaper than some online shops. He never charge me for bike service only if i need to change something. And yes i dont have the tools to remove the cassete, and i have no real reason to buy them since everything i need from that is free of charge.

Anyway, i would love to have some other suggestions, i ride a lot with a lot of climbing. For now i have the awful Fulcrum racing sport. The hand built could be an option but there is none in Cyprus building them, and dealing with some shop abroad if i need a service doesnt appeal me.
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    I have a set of these for wet weather:

https://www.mantel.com/uk/dt-swiss-pr-1 ... ike-wheels

Good serviceable hubs, good braking track, pretty stiff, not too heavy. I’ve not put too many miles in on them as the weather has been so good but I’m happy with them so far.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • yiannism
    TurboTommy wrote:

Good serviceable hubs, good braking track, pretty stiff, not too heavy. I’ve not put too many miles in on them as the weather has been so good but I’m happy with them so far.

Interesting, but i dont need wheels for wet since here we have more than 300 days per year sunshine...but i will check them anyway
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    YiannisM wrote:
    TurboTommy wrote:

Interesting, but i dont need wheels for wet since here we have more than 300 days per year sunshine...but i will check them anyway

It’s not that they’re specifically designed for the wet. It’s that I use them in the wet as the braking surface is better than my carbon wheels. They are comparable to other aluminium wheels in that regard. I was looking at fulcrum zero night and campag shamal when I bought them. But I think this wheelset is better value.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • I have my short list.

1)Fast forward F3A for 550 euros http://www.ffwdwheels.com/wheel/f3a/

2) Rofl prima vigor RS for around 720 euros http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cy/en/rolf-prima-vigor-rs-clincher-road-wheelset/rp-prod148101

The safe choice is the 1st, but i like more the 2nd, any suggestions will be greatly appreciatively
  • What the people who love DT SW as hubs don't tell us when it comes time for a bearing change TT he rear Ds bearing is hidden behind the ring nut. Try removing that bastard. I hurty shoulder today trying to undo one in a 240hub. The thing is still stuck. It might have to go off to the warranty folk for them to remove. They can pull there shoulders out trying.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Rolf wheels are underrated IMO. Not saying they are perfect but they are good wheels.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D