Why the difference in price?

Thigh_burn
Thigh_burn Posts: 489
edited August 2018 in Road buying advice
There are some heavy discounts on both the Cervelo R3 disc fluro and the Trek Emonda SLR 6. Both are Ultegra, both have pretty mediocre wheelsets that retail for c£150-250 so why is the Trek £600 more expensive in the sale or £1000 more expensive at non-sale price. I know the Emonda is one of the lightest bikes out there, but the Cervelo is hardly lardy.

Comments

• indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    Possibly advertising. Trek manufactured so light made headlines in most cycle mag/online reviews. Also, it is a popular brand but don't know if that makes it a better frameset than Cervelo
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    The SLR is Trek's highest spec frame, similar to that of Cannondale High Mod, the Trek frame retails at £2600 when not on sale. I'd guess Trek would say that the Cervelo R3 is equivalent to that of the Trek SL frame, not the SLR. The R5 I would think is the equivalent to the SLR. ( https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Cervel ... -2018/FY0B )
    I had the Emonda SLR (rim brake version), very light frame, stiff but comfortable. No experience on the Cervelo.
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Thigh_burn wrote:
    There are some heavy discounts on both the Cervelo R3 disc fluro and the Trek Emonda SLR 6. Both are Ultegra, both have pretty mediocre wheelsets that retail for c£150-250 so why is the Trek £600 more expensive in the sale or £1000 more expensive at non-sale price. I know the Emonda is one of the lightest bikes out there, but the Cervelo is hardly lardy.

On a similar theme why is the Tarmac SL6 Pro £5400 and the Giant TCR Advanced Pro £2200 on sale when the specs are pretty much the same?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Specialized and Trek do seem to be at the pricier end of things.

Spesh I guess have to recover the cost of two Pro tour teams I think ?
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    cougie wrote:

Yes, potentially but Giant sponsor Sunweb so that doesn't really stack up. I guess Giant make so many bikes that they can keep costs down and pass on to the customer. The Spesh is lovely, especially in the blue/pink combo of the Pro but 3k more than the Giant is taking the p**s. Or this www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/tcr-advanced-sl-2 for under 3k which is an absolute steal.
  • SJH76
    SJH76 Posts: 191
    The Emonda SLR6 is made of Treks 700 OCLV carbon which is their top of the range. For this you are paying more compared to the 600 which lower in the range emondas are made from.

Think of it as the difference between a Specialized Tarmac and an S-Works tarmac. The S-Works looks the same but it's much lighter and stiffer.
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    cougie wrote:

And you think they do that by selling their top end bikes at inflated prices?
  • jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 283
    Craigus89 wrote:
    cougie wrote:

It's not just the top end bikes the retail of a specialized tarmac with ultegra tends to be about £1000 more than the equivalent cannondale supersix. That's £1000000 over 1000 mid level bikes.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Craigus89 wrote:
    cougie wrote:

Partly that and partly that they know people will pay more for a bike as seen in the TdF etc.
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    Fenix wrote:
    Craigus89 wrote:
    cougie wrote:

Partly that and partly that they know people will pay more for a bike as seen in the TdF etc.

I agree that it is good marketing for their bikes to be ridden by the pros, but I wouldn't say it's to 'recover the cost' of it, makes it sound like they are operating at a loss because they supply the peleton and they have to sell their bikes at a higher rate.

Maybe I'm being pedantic, it wouldn't be the first time...