Comments

• crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    Webboo wrote:
    Life.

What is time.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    I'll give this a bit more thought later, but the first thing I thought of was the Raleigh Chopper!

Ten year old me desperately wanted one, ten year old me got one Christmas 1974, by January 1975 ten year old me realised, too late, that the Raleigh Chopper was a steaming turd of a bike!

Despite them being utterly crap I still think they're incredibly cool to look at, just not to ride.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Cornwall.

Just been there on hols. Packed, crap weather, fog, touristy towns (Padstow), pasties nothing special.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,073
    SecretSam wrote:
    Cornwall.

Just been there on hols. Packed, crap weather, fog, touristy towns (Padstow), pasties nothing special.

Well don't go where everyone else is, for goodness' sake :roll:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,135
    SecretSam wrote:
    Cornwall.

I blame the A30 upgrades, it's made it too accessible.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    My expectations.
  • Watched The Life of Brian a while back at one of these pop-up cinema things in Hamsterley forest. Hadn't seen it for years, thought I would love it, but it was terrible. Never been so bored. Perhaps I just know the jokes too well. Not helped by the fact that you're watching it in a forest with about a billion midges biting you.

Agree with the Airplane films.

The Goodies - my god it's aged badly.

Watched an episode of Ripping Yarns at the media centre in Bradford, similar to Brian.

On the other hand there are some things I was too young for the first time around that I found pretty damn good - Quatermass and the Pit on the BBC archive, for instance.

Maybe you should just never go back and stick with your memories instead.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,135
    Comedy doesn't seem to age well. I watched the Young Ones last week for the first time in years, I loved it in the 80s but it hardly raised a smile.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,689
    Pross wrote:
    Comedy doesn't seem to age well. I watched the Young Ones last week for the first time in years, I loved it in the 80s but it hardly raised a smile.
    To be fair I think the name gives a clue of the target audience. :wink:
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,589
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    To be fair I think the name gives a clue of the target audience. :wink:
    Oddly enough I still think it's ace. And I still laugh at Life of Brian.

Growing old is compulsory but growing up is optional...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • When I was a kid I used to love watching laurel and hardy on BBC2 during the 6 week summer holiday. Used to laugh my fecking tats off. Fast forward 40 years and now and again i'll put the box set on for my young lads. And nowadays I laugh even more!!!

On the other hand I also used to love the professionals and the sweeny, my mum and dad would let me stop up and watch them, probably mid 70's. If you watch them nowadays on Dave I think it is you realise how bad they are.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    Alpe d’Huez. Watched it climbed dozens of times over the years, all the battles beyeeen pro riders. Actually climbed it myself on Sunday and it’s a bit naff. It’s even even clear which way you go at the top, not much to look at on the way up, altogether uninspiring. It didn’t help that I climbed it after a 16 hour overnight drive then one hours sleep.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    bonk king wrote:
    On the other hand I also used to love the professionals and the sweeny, my mum and dad would let me stop up and watch them, probably mid 70's. If you watch them nowadays on Dave I think it is you realise how bad they are.

I still enjoy them though quality varies. But then I never watch modern stuff which is no doubt sufficiently different (if not better) to make the older stuff seem worse than maybe it actually is.

But then I'm actually quite enjoying The Persuaders so I probably have no right to comment! That said, when stuff is on every night you soon realise how half the plots involve one being mistaken for the other or one pretending to be the other. It rapidly becomes difficult to know which ones you've actually recently seen or not.

Most old pop music seems very tinny and thin now - eg I'm talking to you Gary Numan. Blancmange on the other hand turn out to have more depth than my superficial appreciation of them 35 years ago gave them credit for!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    NorvernRob wrote:
    Alpe d’Huez. Watched it climbed dozens of times over the years, all the battles beyeeen pro riders. Actually climbed it myself on Sunday and it’s a bit naff. It’s even even clear which way you go at the top, not much to look at on the way up, altogether uninspiring. It didn’t help that I climbed it after a 16 hour overnight drive then one hours sleep.

Do it on race day and it's completely different.