Garmin 520 plus or Woohoo bolt

2»

Comments

• norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    I’ve had a 520 for a couple of years now. The only single issue I’ve ever had was it freezing when loading a map, it stayed like that for around 20 minutes then started working again, and it has only happened once.

Navigation is good, battery life is good enough if you lower the backlight (I have mine on 40% and have had 7 hours of navigation without the low battery warning coming on).

The downside is having to mess about connecting it to a laptop to load new maps etc, I have an old laptop stored away literally for this one purpose. It’s one area where Wahoo seem have have a clear advantage over Garmin.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I just got a 520 plus, was comparing it to a friends Wahoo Elemnt. The navigation on the garmin wins hands down, otherwise just seems to be personal preference, do the same job don't they, the setting up with an app thing seems alright but he does complain about it sometimes, easy to change the Garmin data fields when riding. Seems very easy loading things like routes etc. onto the Garmin compared to my old edge 810.

Did notice riding in the (very) wet, that the elevation didn't get cocked up like it did on my old garmin. May just be luck though.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Angry Bird wrote:
    I just got a 520 plus, was comparing it to a friends Wahoo Elemnt. The navigation on the garmin wins hands down, otherwise just seems to be personal preference, do the same job don't they, the setting up with an app thing seems alright but he does complain about it sometimes, easy to change the Garmin data fields when riding. Seems very easy loading things like routes etc. onto the Garmin compared to my old edge 810.

Did notice riding in the (very) wet, that the elevation didn't get cocked up like it did on my old garmin. May just be luck though.

Very interesting as earlier this week a club mate was complaining constantly about the mapping on his 520 plus, particularly the rerouting, and was trying to persuade me to swap my elemnt bolt for his 520 plus.

I'm surprised your friend complains about the wahoo app set up. It is simple and quick. Tbh I can't think what there is to complain about.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    redvision wrote:
    Angry Bird wrote:

Very interesting as earlier this week a club mate was complaining constantly about the mapping on his 520 plus, particularly the rerouting, and was trying to persuade me to swap my elemnt bolt for his 520 plus.

I'm surprised your friend complains about the wahoo app set up. It is simple and quick. Tbh I can't think what there is to complain about.

Well, he does complain about it, so... yeah. Personal preferences and stuff I guess. I've not had any issues in the few weeks I've been using the mapping on the 520 plus, and I've been trying to use it constantly as it's a novelty to have working mapping (it used to make my 810 crash :roll:).
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    philthy3 wrote:
    bobones wrote:
    There is a lot of information to be gleaned from a power meter that you don't seem to understand. If you've got the time, read up on Xert and try out the gimmicky, but surprisingly accurate, "What is My FTP?" app, along with others that are far more useful for training or racing with a power meter (Xert Workout App, MPA and Power data fields) or just have fun hunting for fitness breakthroughs or Strava segments with the new Segment Hunter app.

No doubt many Garmin users have problems, but the Bolt doesn't have a perfect reliability record either. I have owned Edge 500, 510 and 820 computers as well as Vector 3 power meter pedals, and I haven't had any serious issues that couldn't be resolved with a call to support or a simple workaround. (Most serious problem being water ingress with 510 causing charging problems which was resolved with a free refurbished replacement). And my 820 and Vector 3s seem to perform flawlessly despite the horror stories you can read here and elsewhere.

What? Where have I said anything about power meters? I've used a P2M ever since I suffered a stroke and my tests for FTP are done by two indoor mediums where outside interference is avoided; a ramp test using TrainerRoad and a 4DP test on Sufferfest. The Wahoo allows me to use various view options for data views around power just like a Garmin. But, in all honesty, I just need the 3s average on view rather than a cluttered screen of umpteen bits of information or busy graphics. Simplicity of the 500 remember.

We differ with the 820 as mine was useless and I was glad to see the back of it. The straw that broke the proverbial camel's back for me. My Wahoo ELEMNT (not Bolt) has been perfect from day one.

Just to echo bobones arguments, I had a load of Evans vouchers saved up from Tesco points and very nearly bought a Wahoo element, but part of the reason I wanted it was to improve my use of power for training out on the open road - the LED indicators around the screen seemed the perfect tool to help with this.

Unfortunately I then (as it my habit) researched to the nth degree what the exact capabilities of the wahoo were, and found that it couldn't do something as simple as import a workout from, well, wherever, in a standardised fit file format and there are absolutely no plans to let you do so, perhaps due to some kind of promotional tie in with Training Peaks and the other one that they do let you use.

I could live without the connect iq apps, but that sort of closed platform does not appeal to me, regardless of how slick or effective the user experience is otherwise.

So I spent the vouchers on something else and still use my Edge 500. Assuming reports continue to be good perhaps I'll get an Edge 520 plus for Christmas...

I'm also a Xert user and the opportunity to use the connect iq app fields is a big plus point in favour of the Garmin.