Giant Defy to....??

mcstumpy
mcstumpy Posts: 298
edited August 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi, a friend of mine has a Giant Defy (Alu frame) with Shimano 5700, which he later fitted with Fulcrum Racing Quattro LG wheels. His 50th birthday is aprroaching and he’s feeling the lure of a new bike.

Someone has suggested replacing with the Ribble Sportive Racing, currently on sale for 999 quid with Ultegra 8000. So great spec and value but I’ve seen it suggested the ride is on the harsh side and can’t go above 28mm tyres.

I’ve suggested that as he has a good Alu bike, if it were me I’d want to feel it was a real step up. So I’m thinking ultegra but decent carbon.

Or just stick with the Defy frame and think about further upgrades?

Anyone been in a similar position and made a decision they don’t regret? :)

Comments

• kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Can of worms but here goes

I have the alu defy as my winter / commuting bike - for that its great. I also have a 10 year old (then mid range) carbon - even now the carbon bike is much superior in terms of comfort and road buzz.

The popular theory is that high end aluminium beats low end carbon - I haven't really been in a position to test - but not sure the defy would count as high end alu.

I would go for the new carbon bike - and not upgrading the kit on the defy.
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    Aside from a new set of wheels, upgrading components on an entry level bike is not cost effective at all if it is just for a general improvement.

I also have a Alu Giant Defy that is my winter/commuter hack, it's fine for that but it's not a thrilling bike. It's a pretty heavy frameset that has cheap finishing kit, a relaxed geometry and a very 'buzzy' ride. I feel I'd have to do a lot to it to make it feel significantly different, at which point I would rather a new bike.

I wouldn't get too hung up on whether its carbon or higher end aluminium, the higher end aluminium tends to be more aimed at 'racier' geometries whereas carbon at the lower end is generally aimed at comfort/endurance or whatever you want to call it. I would suggest he does some reading about the effects these things have on how a bike feels and tries some different bikes out to see what it is he wants from a new bike.
  • Change the alu frame to a ti with the geo and spec you want e.g. Burls for a fairly-well priced custom.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,219
    Does your friend want to stay with the Defy endurance geometry, or is he flexible enough for a change? If so there are some good deals on Giant's TCR Advance models if he wants a carbon rim brake bike.