Looking for new Cycling Shorts - Saddle Sores

atreides7887
atreides7887 Posts: 2
edited August 2018 in Road buying advice
Hello All,

I'm looking for some potential buying advice if possible. I cycle almost entirely on an indoor trainer sat up in a vertical position (principally as I'm using it for exercise rather than cycling fitness itself) and I'm struggling massively with saddle sores. These are along either side of the perineum, sort of at the seam between the crotch and the hip.

I've got a decent-ish pair of Endura road cycling shorts (FS260-Pro) but looking at the positioning of the padding I'm assuming this is being caused by the edges of the thicker padding under the crotch due to the fact I'm not sitting in the position the shorts are designed for. I'm using a bodyglide rub, I did buy some assos chamois cream which felt better until it gave me a massive, and very itchy, rash...

I was wondering if people could recommend any shorts designed for sitting in a more upright position, or anything else I should be trying/doing to alleviate the problem. It’s so bad at the moment that after a 1hr 20 minute ride it’s pretty raw on both sides. I’m not sure if I need shorts with wider padding, just shorts with padding in different places, or a different saddle. I inherited the bike from a relative and it’s no longer roadworthy hence why it lives in an indoor trainer.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations,
atreides7887

Comments

• Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Hello All,

I'm looking for some potential buying advice if possible. I cycle almost entirely on an indoor trainer sat up in a vertical position (principally as I'm using it for exercise rather than cycling fitness itself) and I'm struggling massively with saddle sores. These are along either side of the perineum, sort of at the seam between the crotch and the hip.

I've got a decent-ish pair of Endura road cycling shorts (FS260-Pro) but looking at the positioning of the padding I'm assuming this is being caused by the edges of the thicker padding under the crotch due to the fact I'm not sitting in the position the shorts are designed for. I'm using a bodyglide rub, I did buy some assos chamois cream which felt better until it gave me a massive, and very itchy, rash...

I was wondering if people could recommend any shorts designed for sitting in a more upright position, or anything else I should be trying/doing to alleviate the problem. It’s so bad at the moment that after a 1hr 20 minute ride it’s pretty raw on both sides. I’m not sure if I need shorts with wider padding, just shorts with padding in different places, or a different saddle. I inherited the bike from a relative and it’s no longer roadworthy hence why it lives in an indoor trainer.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations,
    atreides7887

Try lowering the saddle height so you are sitting more in rather than on the saddle. try dropping it 3cm and adjust from there.
  • I'm not aware of any exercise bike specific shorts. Not overly helpful I know but how about riding out more on the road?
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    How wide is that current saddle?
    A saddle can be too narrow and also it can be too wide.
    You need to measure the sitbones to ensure you are fully supported as best as possible whilst on the bike.
    The shorts thing , the saddle height I wouldnt worry about at this stage.

Are you moving about a bit on the saddle?
    What you are looking for , especially doable on the turbo, is keeping the legs moving but not rocking and moving of the hips that can cause too much motion - leading to possible sore areas - leading to actual sores. (Ok saddle height may play a part)
    Try to keep as still as possible over a number of days and see if this improves you.
    Posture, a good posture., good controlled core will lead to better posture. If you are effectively slouching on the bike, then the consequence can be..

Small changes at a time.
    (Chamois cream - nice one... no one actually needs it... great marketing)
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

There's the issue, right there. No shorts on the planet will compensate for almost 100% of your bodyweight on the saddle area.
  • Chamois cream make my saddle sores worse - seems to clog all the pours. I do pretty much 12-15 hours a week all year round with a constant cycle of new saddle sores, I just learn to live with them. :|
  • Enduras were awful for me and I ended up with an infected lump. I bit the bullet and bought Rapha in the sale (after a recommendation from a friend). No sores since both on 100 mile sportives and the turbo. I have tight hamstrings so tend to be a bit more upright.
  • Enduras were awful for me and I ended up with an infected lump right in the fold between the cheek and the scruttocks. I bit the bullet and bought Rapha in the sale (after a recommendation from a friend). No sores since both on 100 mile sportives and the turbo. I have tight hamstrings so tend to be a bit more upright.