Turbo Trainer Indecisiveness

Jasonk82
Jasonk82 Posts: 2
edited September 2018 in Indoor training and turbo forum
Hi Folks,

Typically the Elite Directo is comparable to the Tacx Flux and the Cycleops Hammer is compared to the Neo, Kickr, Drivo but as it happens I have the budget for either Direto or Hammer at the same price for £500 +- change.

The Hammer is technically considered the higher end but the increase in resistance and gradient simulation is not as high on my priority as sound, accuracy, general feel.

I do hear good things about the Direto which is why I am wavering on the choice.

I use 4iiii left crank PM on my bike and I know I can use that so that my numbers are comparable both inside and out but I will change to a cheap powerless frame on the trainer after I compare the power difference then maybe use the offset on the 4iiii to try match the turbo power for consistency and you also have the option at looking at LR balance on the direto.

So...what would your choice be?

Note that, yes, I could add some more pennies to the pot for something like the Neo which I can get for £760 but I (or the wifey?!) simply cannot justify going over the £500 mark so I am simnply looking at these two options which I can get for this lower price for a limited amount of time

Appreciate your feedback!

Comments

• dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Of those two I'd go for the direto.

Just beware that there will be discrepancy of power readings due to drivetrain losses.
  • xixang
    xixang Posts: 235
    Where's Neo for 760?
  • sh3p
    sh3p Posts: 98
    Not used the direto but have had the hammer for a nearly a year without any problems, have checked against my stages pm and although I'm not saying that's is accurate they both read within 2 or Watts of each other, Its not what I would term as quiet but can listen to music from my phone without issue and have only had a flux {well 2 that Broke} to compare it to that is direct drive and it is no noisier that that.
  • I used to have a Hammer. At the time it was a really bad choice as its firmware was useless for simulations such as Zwift. AFAIK the new firmware has fixed a lot of issues.

Other than the firmware I also had a lot of overheating issues (it would stop working on the RGT Stelvio simulation before I got to the top) and then later constant knocking sounds at low RPM/high torque. I eventually returned mine before they fixed the software.

I swapped it for a KICKR17. On pluses, the Hammer had a much better road feel than the KICKR and the sound was much smoother (apart from the knocking). It was also heavier, so it made out-of-the-saddle efforts much more stable. I had no issues with ERG mode on the Hammer.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    xixang wrote:
    Where's Neo for 760?

i got mine for a similar price from Halfords. They have fairly frequent 10% off days on bikes and accessories so the current price of £949 becomes £855 and then it's a game of chance whether they allow you to stack your BC membership 10% on top. I got lucky with my local branch.
  • Just started cycling and looking at Turbo trainer for Zwift. Any recommendations for the lower end of the market? Thanks
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Just started cycling and looking at Turbo trainer for Zwift. Any recommendations for the lower end of the market? Thanks

Refurbished Kickr Snap or Tacx Vortex
  • Bumo_b
    Bumo_b Posts: 211
    Elite Smart Muin from Halfords (£300) if you are really strapped for cash, worked for me beautifully.
  • I started on the Tacx Flow (£180 Halfords) before moving onto a Kickr17

The Flow is a cheap wheel on smart trainer, did the job for me :)
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • BigMitch41 wrote:
    I started on the Tacx Flow (£180 Halfords) before moving onto a Kickr17

The Flow is a cheap wheel on smart trainer, did the job for me :)

I've had the Tacx flow for about a year now (also £180 from Halfords with BC discount) Seems like a decent trainer to me