Dutch hour record tonight

poppit
poppit Posts: 926
edited October 2018 in Pro race
At 8pm, Beukeboom is going for it at altitude, should stand a good chance. It’s on Eurosport player and the uci’s YouTube channel.
Eddy Merckx EMX-3
Dolan L'Etape
Cougar Zero Uno
Genesis Core 50
Planet X TOR

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Is he going for the world record or just Dutch?
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    World
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • kfm2773
    kfm2773 Posts: 19
    Surely it's more aero with a visor.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,447
    poppit wrote:
    At 8pm, Beukeboom is going for it at altitude, should stand a good chance.

You think? Even with the advantages of altitude, he's not remotely world class and will struggle to get anywhere close to Wiggins' record.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Doesnt look like it's going so well....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    (might not even bother staying on for the whole hour at this rate...)
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    How much must it hurt to give everything on an hour record and fail? All the pain, no euphoria to take the edge off at the end.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,447
    He got the Dutch national record I think? Beating Thomas Dekker's distance.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,196
    What distance did he get?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    orraloon wrote:
    What distance did he get?

5th furthest.

2nd best record of the unified hour is from earlier this year, Martin Toft Madsen, 53.360.

One to watch: Mikkel Bjerg (current u23 TT world champ) who at 18 years old rode 52.311 last year, now the 8th best distance ever. He did it in Odense, DK, which is sea level and as far as I'm aware, not a record breaking track. Kid's got an engine.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    andyp wrote:
    poppit wrote:
    At 8pm, Beukeboom is going for it at altitude, should stand a good chance.

You think? Even with the advantages of altitude, he's not remotely world class and will struggle to get anywhere close to Wiggins' record.

It was a fair effort in the end but he’s pretty much a nobody and would have been a huge shock (not to say suspicious) if he’d got close to the record, or am I missing something?
  • ddraver
    Almost as crazy as some crazy Glaswegian with a stupid bike taking the hour record... :P
    - @ddraver
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    One to watch: Mikkel Bjerg (current u23 TT world champ) who at 18 years old rode 52.311 last year, now the 8th best distance ever. He did it in Odense, DK, which is sea level and as far as I'm aware, not a record breaking track. Kid's got an engine.
    Part of the victorious Danish TTT squad and currently lying third overall in the ongoing Tour de l'Avenir.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    His aero must be really good, plus the elevation effect - his watts were surprisingly low
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    As always worth checking Xavier Disley's twitter for full analysis of hour record attempts: https://twitter.com/xavierdisley
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Part of the victorious Danish TTT squad and currently lying third overall in the ongoing Tour de l'Avenir.
    He's just broken the Danish record going 53.73 km. As far as I'm aware, only Wiggins has gone further. Impressive for such a young kid. I'd expect him to take the record before very long if he makes a proper go of it.